Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

383 Hammerhead Oil Change

Hello!

New to the site! I recently bought a 2008 247 LSV with the Hammerhead engine. We have put about 35 hours on it this summer and it has been great, just rolled over 500 hours! Going to do an oil change tomorrow. I can't seem to find anywhere on the site, suggestions about the best way to drain the oil (how to catch it all without it making a mess in the hull). I have Valvoline 50W Conventional to put in and a mercury filter, both to match what the dealer used before I bought it. Any other tips, tricks or need to knows?

Oil PSI seems good with that oil at around 40psi at idle and at most around 58-60psi during a hard pull. Seems to maintain pressure and run well!

Lastly, I notice what sounds like a belt chirp at idle but only some trips out. As soon as I throttle up around 1500 RPM it disappears. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what it may actually be?

Thank you!

It can be difficult to remove all of the oil on the 383 using the drain hose because the drain fitting is not directly on the bottom of the pan like it is on other engines.  It is very easy to overfill the engine oil if you don't get enough of it out of the engine and then just add 4 to 5 quarts.

Indmar recommends that the bottom of the oil pan be level during draining, so slightly raising the bow on a vdrive boat helps.  It also helps to raise the port side of a vdrive boat by driving the trailer up on some 4 inch or 6 inch blocks to get more oil out of the drain tube.

If the drive belt is squeaking, remove and inspect the belt, make sure the alternator and idle pulleys spin smoothly, clean all the pulleys and replace the belt I the pulleys are ok.

• Like 2