Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excessive Torque Roll

Hello,

I have a 2015 Response LXR and recently drove it for the first time with no one else in the boat to counter-balance my weight.

I am about 275 pounds and this results in only a minor list to starboard at rest. At speeds around 20-30 mph the list becomes much more pronounced; I would estimate around 25-30 degrees.

I do not remember this happening in my old 2002 Response LX; it would generally “level out” once I was on plane.

The boat has an adjustable rudder and currently has no preload whereas my old boat has a non-adjustable unit and had quite a bit.

I haven’t done an alignment check yet but the prop spins freely 1-2 turns after “flipping” it around from under the boat.

I have a few questions:

Can adding rudder preload help correct the listing under power?

Can bent or misaligned tracking fins cause the listing?

Is there anything else I can check?

Rudder torque can help a bit. My 01 RLX should be similar. It does list to starboard about 10 degrees or so with just me in it and on plane. I'm 250 lbs. I put 100 lbs of lead under the observer seat which helps but doesn't completely level it. It's perfect with a 150-200 lb observer plus the lead. 

• Like 1
On 7/9/2020 at 10:11 AM, UWSkier said:

Rudder torque can help a bit. My 01 RLX should be similar. It does list to starboard about 10 degrees or so with just me in it and on plane. I'm 250 lbs. I put 100 lbs of lead under the observer seat which helps but doesn't completely level it. It's perfect with a 150-200 lb observer plus the lead. 

I've ordered some lead. Would it be better to place it in the ski locker or under the observers seat?

1 hour ago, BoatFlyRide said:

I've ordered some lead. Would it be better to place it in the ski locker or under the observers seat?

Observer's seat, as far to port as possible.

@BoatFlyRide - that level of list at those speeds to me is more than typical for that hull.  Any damage to underwater gear could create that situation, tracking fins or even a bent rudder as the additional list is created by prop torque.  You might also check to verify the boat does not have excess water in the bilge or anywhere else.  

You might want to put an inclinometer on the engine cover to record the list, you can simply download an angle finder app on your phone and use that to record data.  You might also look at the bow rise angle to see if that is different than expected.

58 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@BoatFlyRide - that level of list at those speeds to me is more than typical for that hull.  Any damage to underwater gear could create that situation, tracking fins or even a bent rudder as the additional list is created by prop torque.  You might also check to verify the boat does not have excess water in the bilge or anywhere else.  

You might want to put an inclinometer on the engine cover to record the list, you can simply download an angle finder app on your phone and use that to record data.  You might also look at the bow rise angle to see if that is different than expected.

The bow rise also seems much higher than my old boat but I’d attributed that to the steeper prop angle from the large engine.

Prop angle shouldn't have changed.  The Response hull does tend to run a bit bow-high.  It's not like newer boats that tend to plant the nose.  Even the RLXi from '03 had a much flatter angle of attack.

Here's mine with 450 lbs of crew weight and about 200 lbs of weight in front of the engine box.  34 MPH in this photo.

1259178850_Waterski012620(1).jpg.4265217

Edited by UWSkier

As noted above, prop angle should not be different than previous and prop angle typically does not change with different engine installs (although the TXI did move the engine forward during its production run).  You could simply measure yours, typical for the SV23 hull is ~11 deg.  From my observations, a planed out Response has the water break very close to the pylon.

As for ballast, minimize the amount you add by moving it to the outer edge of what you are trying to accomplish, side to side as far over as possible so along the port gunnel is most efficient to offset a driver.  Note - I moved my battery over to gunnel side of storage area to assist in balancing the boat, helps balance with minimal additional weight.