Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Fuel Cap

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was a victim of fuel theft sometime over the last couple days. 
Regardless. 

I have this style. 
https://www.bakesonline.com/gas-fill-neck-complete-keyless.html

But I don't know if I can order this....
https://www.bakesonline.com/gas-fill-neck-complete-keyed-cap.html
And just use the cap from it? 

For that matter...anyone have a lead on a gas cap of this style that fits the stock filler neck?
From what I can tell all the 2" stuff has a outside thread measurement of 1.75, mine measures 1.875 (1 7/8).

So a regular ol Attwood cap won't work. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Edited by Ryan1776

even if it does fit, those don't lock, it just requires something thin to unscrew it.  A large Flathead screwdriver will open it.

be thankful!  I'd rather someone take fuel, rather than add something else to the tank!!

You can buy just the cap from the first link.  Changing out the neck looks to be an unnecessary nightmare which only 2007 and prior boats would need to do if you want your cap to be an nice flush finish. The cap cost me $50 and sticks out about 1/4" more than normal. The cap does seal normally even though it is not flush with the gunnel.  Smoothwaterman hooked me up with the cap, but it is readily available. In the meantime you can use a plastic 1 1/2" plastic PVC threaded plug from Ace is the place.

Edited by electricjohn
13 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

even if it does fit, those don't lock, it just requires something thin to unscrew it.  A large Flathead screwdriver will open it.

be thankful!  I'd rather someone take fuel, rather than add something else to the tank!!

Locks keep honest people honest. I understand that it's not a true key. But it acts as a deterrent. 

12 hours ago, electricjohn said:

You can buy just the cap from the first link.  Changing out the neck looks to be an unnecessary nightmare which only 2007 and prior boats would need to do if you want your cap to be an nice flush finish. The cap cost me $50 and sticks out about 1/4" more than normal. The cap does seal normally even though it is not flush with the gunnel.  Smoothwaterman hooked me up with the cap, but it is readily available. In the meantime you can use a plastic 1 1/2" plastic PVC threaded plug from Ace is the place.

The cap from the first link is what I have. I just didn't know where I could find the 1.825" cap like in the 2nd without having to spend 100 bucks for a pair. 

1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

But it acts as a deterrent.

I had that cap on my Glastron CVX-16 and never used the key.  You could get enough friction with the ball of your thumb to break the friction of the o-ring.  On those very occasional times when it was stuck, the key ring in my pocket was plenty to move it.  I wouldn't waste any time switching a cap to that one if you intend to slow someone down.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

I had that cap on my Glastron CVX-16 and never used the key.  You could get enough friction with the ball of your thumb to break the friction of the o-ring.  On those very occasional times when it was stuck, the key ring in my pocket was plenty to move it.  I wouldn't waste any time switching a cap to that one if you intend to slow someone down.

OH really? I had that same cap, (factory) on my Supra Comp....thing was an absolute b to remove. 99% of the time I had to use a pair of needle nose with both tips in the holes and an adjustable wrench to turn it. 

West Marine sells a black plastic locking cap that definitely fits instead of the the oem cap. (I replaced the cap on my 2006 Response with the locking one to prevent fuel theft.)

*edit* think it was that one, but check thread sizes first!

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--locking-cap-for-west-marine-seafit-and-whitecap-1-1-2-deck-fills--7870033

Edited by Chaabo
Just now, Chaabo said:

West Marine sells a black plastic locking cap that definitely fits instead of the the oem cap. (I replaced the cap on my 2006 Response with the locking one to prevent fuel theft.)

Yeah. I know. I don't like the look of them to be honest. Because the neck will still be chrome. But I appreciate it! 

16 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

OH really? I had that same cap, (factory) on my Supra Comp....thing was an absolute b to remove. 99% of the time I had to use a pair of needle nose with both tips in the holes and an adjustable wrench to turn it. 

Did you put it on with a tool?  That may be why.  I never saw any reason to use anything other than my palm on it.  As soon as I could feel the o-ring touch, I stopped.  I suppose if you torque it down, it would be hard to remove.

Back in the day, Glastron was using that cap but providing the wrong key.  No need to torque it down anyway, so we just taught everyone to use their palms.