Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surfgate actuator fail from bad alternator

Boat:  2017 35 foot LSV

Thought I'd share this in case anybody else has the same problem.

Out surfing couple weeks ago and the left surf button (starboard actuator gate) at first had intermittent failure and then failed 100% of time.  

While boating to dock to quit noticed Volt reading of only 11.8.

Got boat out and #1 battery reading low, so charged it overnight on my charger.  It held charge fine.

Started boat out of water and used voltmeter to confirm < 12.0 Volts coming out of alternator.

Ordered new actuator and new alternator.

When I replaced the alternator and have reading between 12.8v and 14v with boat running actuator gate has worked 100%.

So, in hind sight the actuator gate was not getting enough consistent volts to run the relays in the actuator gate correctly.  

tips on alternator replacement.  I bought serpentine belt tool and would recommend anyone replacing or loosening belt do the same.

The only way to get tool into the proper position to loosen belt is on port side.  Take out side panel and blind but reachable.  After that the rest of alternator change pretty simple