Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ramp-N-Clamp and Malibu/Axis

formerathlete

Last year, we upgraded to a '19 A22. The thing I miss most about our old boat was that we had a Boat Buddy II on the trailer. It made launching so incredibly fast and easy, regardless of where we launched. We didn't have to worry about steepness of the launch or any of the other variables at the different launches we use. And the Boat Buddy held up great for almost 20 years.

Upon getting the Axis last summer, we thought about adding a Ramp-N-Clamp to the trailer but decided not to because I didn't want to have to switch to an extended bow eye...and figured we could get used to life without it. While we've been managing fine without it, I've still had it in the back of my mind that launching could be so much easier than it is (and we launch/retrieve at least 3-4x times per week).

This may be old news for some on here but just recently, I learned that Ramp-N-Clamp came out with a new 'Sport Model' that works with the factory bow eye used on Malibu/Axis (and most all other boats). What's more interesting is that Joe from Ramp-N-Clamp says that the Sport Model is currently being used on numerous engineering boats at the Malibu factory and had it not been for delays caused by COVID-19, it would have been added as an option on July 1 for Malibu/Axis. That's pretty much all I needed to hear, so I ordered one for our boat and it will be here in about a week to 10 days. I'll report back my thoughts on it after using it a few times.

https://www.ramp-n-clamp.com/Ramp-N-clamp-Sport-Model-for-any-boat-and-trailer-p/sport.htm

Would never work on my trailer.  To float all the way on I would have to get super deep on the trailer and it would never center and probably float over the bow roller (even with the 250lbs of lead always up there).  I always have to winch it the last couple of feet after having the wife power it on.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Would never work on my trailer.  To float all the way on I would have to get super deep on the trailer and it would never center and probably float over the bow roller (even with the 250lbs of lead always up there).  I always have to winch it the last couple of feet after having the wife power it on.

Now that you mention it. I did have a "Boat Buddy" (basically the same idea) 2 boats back and ran in to the same problem. The wife came in hot one day and made contact with it and that was game over for it. I never really trusted it that much with such a heavy boat anyway. On a John boat with barely any weight on the bow, no problem.

They do claim a 6500lb max boat weight and there are a few videos on Youtube of larger Mastercrafts loading onto a trailer with it. It definitely does require power loading but that's what I've been doing with the roller, so that isn't much of a change. Plus, I did it for so many years with our old boat that I've got the approach method/speed burned into muscle memory. So, we'll see, I guess.

Edited by formerathlete

So assuming you would have to install when boat is off trailer or could you just short bunk it about 4 inches to install? We always power load, ramps go way deep with concrete beyond the props.

Need a GROUP BUY!

• Like 1

Simple install. Remove roller bolt and reinstall through RNC when boat is off trailer or like 12” back/away from roller/RNC (I bet 4-6” would be fine though).

Edited by formerathlete
22 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I put a ramp n clamp on my trailer briefly until I realized that you had to power load the crap out of the boat to use it.  Removed it and just crank the last foot at the ramp.

If you still have it and want to sell it, PM me.

15 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Just remember that if it’s not the 2020 Sport Model, you’ll have to swap out your factory bow eye for an extended one. 

1 minute ago, formerathlete said:

Just remember that if it’s not the 2020 Sport Model, you’ll have to swap out your factory bow eye for an extended one. 

Yep, he may have one of them too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

I sold it right after I took it off years ago.  And it did need the extended bow loop.

Edited by oldjeep
13 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Yep, he may have one of them too.

I have one that I never installed - probably have the bow eye with it too.  Will sell it to you if you want.

@formerathlete

You received it yet. Really wanting to try it out but wondering if I will have to get boat in water before I can release it. I am a unhook before backing down guy (I know some day my boat will fall off the trailer comments coming, but has not in 20 years) Unfamiliar ramps it stays latched till in water. Just wondering if it will unlatch before it floats and if it will need the forward relief before It can be opened? You said " What's more interesting is that Joe from Ramp-N-Clamp says." Do you have a phone # for them, I don't see one in their contact page.

I have a boat buddy on my trailer, then winch tight before I pull it out of the water.  Once I'm on the trailer and wiping things down, I hook up the transom straps and release the pin in the boat buddy.  Heard that they could bend and cause all kinds of problems.  I never go more than a few hundred feet with the pin in place.  I see it more as something that will get you and keep you tight on the bow till you engage the winch and pull it out.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, formerathlete said:

It comes Thursday. If you pull winch tight, it will take pressure off latch and you can unlatch it before backing into water. I emailed them through their website and Joe replied. [email protected]

Just talked to Joe for 40 minutes. Good guy to kick around ideas with. Discussed some of their upcoming products.

Went ahead and ordered mine and should have it for the weekend.

• Like 1

If you guys need the room to install them in the garage or driveway, just jack up the trailer with the front axle cross member. It will allow the trailer tongue to drop a good couple of inches to unload the rollers.

• Like 1

Installed mine at the launch today. Took 5 min to remove old roller and add ramp n clamp (torqued thru bolt to 20ft lbs). Retrieved boat at the end of the day and it worked perfectly, as expected.

However, once I got the trailer up to the area where we tie boat down, I noticed that the boat is not contacting the forward-most trailer bunks, near the V of the hull. The ramp n clamp sits a bit higher than the roller, causing this, I think. I’ll have to call Joe tomorrow to see what my options are but I’d imagine it’s not good for all that bow weight to be resting on one point near bow eye. 

Edited by formerathlete

Just talked to Joe. He's going to send me the Ramp-N-Clamp he uses for Mastercraft boats as it drops the bow lower (where it rests on the orange material) and will result in my hull resting on the bunks the way it's supposed to. However, to do so, it requires the extended bow eye. So, I guess I'll have to swap out my bow-eye to make it work, dangit. He believes the Sport Model is just lifting my boat a bit too much. He hasn't seen this problem on any of the Malibu boats yet but didn't discuss whether anyone at Malibu is using it on Axis boats. So, @dalt1, hopefully it will work on your Malibu. You have a different running surface than I have on mine, so maybe you'll be okay.

18 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

Just talked to Joe. He's going to send me the Ramp-N-Clamp he uses for Mastercraft boats as it drops the bow lower (where it rests on the orange material) and will result in my hull resting on the bunks the way it's supposed to. However, to do so, it requires the extended bow eye. So, I guess I'll have to swap out my bow-eye to make it work, dangit. He believes the Sport Model is just lifting my boat a bit too much. He hasn't seen this problem on any of the Malibu boats yet but didn't discuss whether anyone at Malibu is using it on Axis boats. So, @dalt1, hopefully it will work on your Malibu. You have a different running surface than I have on mine, so maybe you'll be okay.

I will know soon.