Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Wakesetter MTC failure questions

I'm looking at uograding my older 23 LSV to a newer model. The boat im looking at has the MTC failing and the owner reports its working intermittently. I've read most of the threads regarding the MTC failure and accept the screen has to be replaced, but there are none for sale with Medallion closed because of COVID. here are my questions:

Can the boat be operated (started, stopped, bilge, blower etc.) without the screen working? 

I've read conflicting accounts of this and have visited the dealer but they are only interested in selling a new boat and have been stingy with information. 

Thank you in advance

I would check to confirm they are closed. They are in Spring Lake, MI and manufacturing has been allowed to be open for quite some time. There could be other things at play (owners preference, supply chain, etc).

I have a 2013 as well, and you can get it started if there is a bypass key, the blower should run when the power button under the MTC is pushed (I think it stops automatically after a certain period of time)the bilge should be automatic if needed, but depending on which parts of the screen are not working, the ballast may not fill/drain, or stop filling/draining (unless you use the presets on the MaliView (top) screen, or power cycle the boat (turn the perko off) when you reach the desired fill/drain level). Lights are on the MTC, the wedge will deploy with a preset on the MaliView screen, but you need the MTC to put it back in the stow position (I believe there is a way to put it up by switching a fuse under the dash, but haven't done it).

Sometimes when the MTC goes, certain spots stop working all together, not necessarily the whole thing intermittently. You might be well served by doing a water test and running through all of the features to see what works and what doesn't. I ran a "bad" screen as some ballast functions would not work, but almost everything else did just fine and it did not worsen in the 6 weeks it took to have the dealer get a new one (most of the delay was because the parts guy ordered the MaliView and not the MTC).

I hope that helps, good luck!

The boat can be cranked with the back-up key (make sure the current owner provides this). As for everything else, it will likely be a crap shoot based on what part of the screen is operational and what parts aren't. Your bilge pump and blower have automatic features so they should work when the float switch is activated for the bilge and the boat is powered on for the blower. From what I understand, there are ways to hard wire switches for the other accessories controlled by the MTC but without doing that I think you'd be at the mercy of a glitchy screen for ballast, wedge, surf gates and everything that's run from there. I replaced the screen in my 2011 last summer and I noticed that the problem areas on the screen got worse over time so even if some of those accessories work now, there's no guarantee they will weeks/months from now. Good luck though!

Many of the MTC functions can be bypassed using the power module bypass fuse position.  The power modules are under the dash and can be a bit difficult to get to, but will allow you to control lights, pumps, and other systems in an emergency.  The bypass key switch is also an important feature if the MTC isn't working.

3 hours ago, rakr said:

I would check to confirm they are closed. They are in Spring Lake, MI and manufacturing has been allowed to be open for quite some time. There could be other things at play (owners preference, supply chain, etc).

I have a 2013 as well, and you can get it started if there is a bypass key, the blower should run when the power button under the MTC is pushed (I think it stops automatically after a certain period of time)the bilge should be automatic if needed, but depending on which parts of the screen are not working, the ballast may not fill/drain, or stop filling/draining (unless you use the presets on the MaliView (top) screen, or power cycle the boat (turn the perko off) when you reach the desired fill/drain level). Lights are on the MTC, the wedge will deploy with a preset on the MaliView screen, but you need the MTC to put it back in the stow position (I believe there is a way to put it up by switching a fuse under the dash, but haven't done it).

Sometimes when the MTC goes, certain spots stop working all together, not necessarily the whole thing intermittently. You might be well served by doing a water test and running through all of the features to see what works and what doesn't. I ran a "bad" screen as some ballast functions would not work, but almost everything else did just fine and it did not worsen in the 6 weeks it took to have the dealer get a new one (most of the delay was because the parts guy ordered the MaliView and not the MTC).

I hope that helps, good luck!

Thank you for the great info! Seems they are open but not producing these screens for some reason. Malibu states there are 76 on backorder as of today with no ETA as to when they will be fulfilled?!? Bakes told me the same thing!

Apparently the screen works or doesn't work there is no in between. 

4 hours ago, statefan said:

The boat can be cranked with the back-up key (make sure the current owner provides this). As for everything else, it will likely be a crap shoot based on what part of the screen is operational and what parts aren't. Your bilge pump and blower have automatic features so they should work when the float switch is activated for the bilge and the boat is powered on for the blower. From what I understand, there are ways to hard wire switches for the other accessories controlled by the MTC but without doing that I think you'd be at the mercy of a glitchy screen for ballast, wedge, surf gates and everything that's run from there. I replaced the screen in my 2011 last summer and I noticed that the problem areas on the screen got worse over time so even if some of those accessories work now, there's no guarantee they will weeks/months from now. Good luck though!

The owner (actually a dealer) stated they can get the screen and install it.... 3000 for the screen and 2800 to install! I'm suspicious of this and am curious what the install entails? It looks like a bezel and plugs in the back of the screen? 

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

Many of the MTC functions can be bypassed using the power module bypass fuse position.  The power modules are under the dash and can be a bit difficult to get to, but will allow you to control lights, pumps, and other systems in an emergency.  The bypass key switch is also an important feature if the MTC isn't working.

Thank you for the reply, very helpful. There is a key switch under the throttle, is that the bypass key switch? I asked the dealer and he stated the boat cannot be started or stopped without the screen functioning. This seem a bit far fetched to me and asked again with the same answer. I cant tell if the dealer is very ignorant of the boat or if hes misleading me. If the bypass ky is missing how do I get a new one? repalce the switch or can I get one from Malibu or another source? 

Its a good deal for the boat beacuse of some of the items that have to be repaired that are mostly cosmetic. Mechanical issues are the screen and one of the wedge rams. You state that most of the funtions can be operated manually, do you think I can reasonably operate the boat for a couple weeks in this state? 

5 minutes ago, underone said:

The owner (actually a dealer) stated they can get the screen and install it.... 3000 for the screen and 2800 to install! I'm suspicious of this and am curious what the install entails? It looks like a bezel and plugs in the back of the screen? 

I don't know about part availability or current sell price, but it is about a 5 minute install.  About a year ago, I was led to believe that the dealer cost was about $1400 or less.  They should be willing to give you the screen at cost if they are selling the boat in my opinion.  Sounds like a shady dealer to me.

2 minutes ago, underone said:

Thank you for the reply, very helpful. There is a key switch under the throttle, is that the bypass key switch? I asked the dealer and he stated the boat cannot be started or stopped without the screen functioning. This seem a bit far fetched to me and asked again with the same answer. I cant tell if the dealer is very ignorant of the boat or if hes misleading me. If the bypass ky is missing how do I get a new one? repalce the switch or can I get one from Malibu or another source? 

Its a good deal for the boat beacuse of some of the items that have to be repaired that are mostly cosmetic. Mechanical issues are the screen and one of the wedge rams. You state that most of the funtions can be operated manually, do you think I can reasonably operate the boat for a couple weeks in this state? 

In my experience, you can't raise the wedge or deploy surf gates without the screen.  The key (what you are seeing under the throttle) will start the boat.  Ballast can be somewhat controlled with pre-sets.  Lights and Bluetooth are probably a no-go without the screen (i never tried).  In short, you will likely be limited in all but the most basic operation of the boat.

It is easier to replace the key switch under the throttle with a new one than to get keys for the original if they are missing, but if you have the dash power button on you should be able to start the engine with the key if the MTC was not working.

There should be a power module fuse bypass for the wedge up and wedge down, but surf gates can not be controlled without the MTC.

There are bypasses for the ballast fill and drain pumps on the power module.  The stereo is controlled by the helm remote or the Malivue screen buttons, and if the boat has bluetooth it is a separate module by the stereo that connects it so it may also work without the MTC.

As far as using the boat for a few weeks, it is possible but will be a little frustrating and annoying without a working MTC.

I recall seeing people get the MTC for around or under $2000 and it is pretty much plug and play. There may be a firmware update/flash to match your boat, but that should be less than an hour of billable time. 

37 minutes ago, rakr said:

I recall seeing people get the MTC for around or under $2000 and it is pretty much plug and play. There may be a firmware update/flash to match your boat, but that should be less than an hour of billable time. 

$1600 about 4 years ago when I bought one. it is a plug and play install with the correct update installed.