Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wave manipulation

Nach0

Anybody know or test different ballast weight, boat speed, surf gate and wedge configurations. 

thinking about settings for a beginner who is 8 and another who is 50. Wondering about going under 10 mph. 

also for an advanced rider, has anybody changed speed and other configurations for tricks or longer rides carving from back in the wave back into behind the boat. 

driving 16 Malibu m235. 

10 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

no, none of this has ever been done.  Please attempt and report back. 

... OR, you could try searching.  Here's a start: https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/71066-surf-wave-setup-for-surfgate-equipped-boats/

Full Circle

Haha I did at least provide the link. Dude who buys m235 for newbs to surf and doesn’t know anything about ballast setups has a steep learning curve and some reading to do. 

or the real takeaway from my post — dumb questions belong on Facebook. 

2 hours ago, Nach0 said:

Anybody know or test different ballast weight, boat speed, surf gate and wedge configurations. 

thinking about settings for a beginner who is 8 and another who is 50. Wondering about going under 10 mph. 

also for an advanced rider, has anybody changed speed and other configurations for tricks or longer rides carving from back in the wave back into behind the boat. 

driving 16 Malibu m235. 

50 yrs old- MLS all full, speed at 10.4mph, wedge all the way down (play with speed as it depends if hes goofy or regular)

8 yrs old- same set up but wedge all the way up. This will make the wake a bit longer and not as steep. 

25 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Haha I did at least provide the link. Dude who buys m235 for newbs to surf and doesn’t know anything about ballast setups has a steep learning curve and some reading to do. 

or the real takeaway from my post — dumb questions belong on Facebook. 

Not a dumb question at all... not even close to being dumb.  Lots of people buy a M235 and then learn to surf... if you have the cash why not? .. and M235s can be had for a lot less than a new 23LSV these days so it is a pretty smart move.   TMC is SO much better than the Malibu facebook page... people actually want to help everyone here.   And to top it off there is a lot less data on the M235 surf setup than the other more common boats so asking the question might prompt an experienced M253 driver to answer.

• Like 2

IIRC, the M235 wave doesn't firm up until 11 mph so just guessing that anything less than 10.6 won't be great for any levels of adult surfers. An 8 year old will do fine at slower speeds though, without wedge and even going lighter on ballast.

Agree on the FB page though, and I can go weeks without even checking that group. You do see pics of some nice boats there, but that's what IG's for.

For searching TMC, use Google with "themalibucrew.com:" in your search for any topic and it will give a number of hits.

Thanks for the advice. We have a very short season of maybe 10 weeks. There are 3-4 wakesurf boats on the lake. This was a jump from a wakeboard boat and we got into this due to injuries wakeboarding.  I can appreciate I asked a dumb question, and yes we have manipulated many things to get different outcomes. The younger kid is struggling and as such I tried to find some ideas. Thanks for the feedback. 

4 minutes ago, Nach0 said:

Thanks for the advice. We have a very short season of maybe 10 weeks. There are 3-4 wakesurf boats on the lake. This was a jump from a wakeboard boat and we got into this due to injuries wakeboarding.  I can appreciate I asked a dumb question, and yes we have manipulated many things to get different outcomes. The younger kid is struggling and as such I tried to find some ideas. Thanks for the feedback. 

Is the 8 year old able to pop up the board and get on it, or is that the struggle? Sometimes a lighter board like the Phase 5 Scamp is the ticket there. It’s great for young kids to learn on.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

Sometimes a lighter board like the Phase 5 Scamp is the ticket there. It’s great for young kids to learn on.

Agree!  Especially on a "big" wave.  General advice would be to do whatever you can to make the wave as small as possible.  I'd (guess, with zero experience with your boat) no ballast and wedge in lift mode.  maybe even a little bow ballast if you have anyone in the boat.

Then you are going to want to get a board that the little can handle.  Too big of a board and the board rides the kid instead of the kid riding the board.  P5 scamp will make all the difference, especially the newer ones with three fins.

If your rider is struggling with getting pulled into the propwash (i.e. can't cut out), (a) start with them on the side of the boat, (b) start slow (nobody needs a hammer down surf pull), and (c) consider moving the rope to the side of the tower that they are surfing, because it makes the "zero control of the board" tow point behind the side of the boat (where the wave is) instead of behind the middle of the boat.

• Like 2