Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best places to look for used boats?

cpuwhiz22

Hey crew,

I'm considering upgrading from my 02 VLX to a 2012-2017 23 LSV, but not sure the best places to look for a used boat.  So far I am looking at Boat Trader, Only Inboards, and Craigslist.  Any other places I should be looking?

Thanks!

Found mine on Craigslist, but Facebook Marketplace is equally as valuable when searching.

When using either, be sure to search other areas than just your own.  On CraigsList, you can select different cities/regions, or there are 'global' Craigslist search sites, but they are not known for being very reliable.

Another plug for only inboards - quality site!!!

Some other places that I would look would be: Craigslist, Offer UP, Facebook Marketplace, Boat Trader and Local Dealer Sites.  It's a slim market right now and what is listed moves quickly.

Good luck!!

Thanks for all the tips!  Sounds like there aren't any secret sources that I was missing.  Unfortunately, I am just not finding many options and the ones I find aren't exciting me the way I want.  I guess I will keep looking!

4 minutes ago, BlacknBu said:

This group on facebook is extremely active. There is also a group for just Malibu's, but this seems to be the spot online. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/735363799875931/?ref=share

Man, too bad I'm probably the only person here who doesn't use Facebook!  I use LinkedIn because there is a lot of value in it professionally for me, but otherwise no social networking.  And I work in technology too, which makes it even stranger...

1 hour ago, cpuwhiz22 said:

Man, too bad I'm probably the only person here who doesn't use Facebook!  I use LinkedIn because there is a lot of value in it professionally for me, but otherwise no social networking.  And I work in technology too, which makes it even stranger...

I actually know quite a few who are anti-social. Definitely not a bad thing to be away from it in modern day. 

Don't forget about Malibu dealers websites when searching for used boats. Although the dealer nearest me typically lists their inventory on Only Inboards site also. 

P.S. I have never been and will never be on Facebook, or Fakebook as I affectionately refer to it:)

2 hours ago, cpuwhiz22 said:

Man, too bad I'm probably the only person here who doesn't use Facebook!

You're not the only one. I hate that site.

If you don't have my phone number or email address then there's probably a reason. :tease1:

I finally joined Facebook in June solely for the Marketplace to find a new boat.  It turns out that you don’t get access to the marketplace immediately, but I used my wife’s account.  It is much more active than Craigslist in my area.  I ended up finding my boat on OnlyInboards, but there were great boats on Facebook too.  I saw a boat sell in 9 minutes!

• Like 1

I tried all of the above and found my dream boat used through a Centurion dealer.  The previous owner bought a brand new boat and needed to sell his old one.  Ask your local dealers who they might know who are getting ready to sell the boat you want.  Then you are first in line.

Thanks for all the great tips!  Also, glad to see I'm not alone in avoiding Facebook.  Honestly, there has never been any appeal to me.  As @Kojak said, if we aren't connected today there's probably no desire lol.  I see how much time my wife spends just endlessly scrolling, and when I ask if anything exciting is on there she always replies, "No, I don't even know why I'm looking at it."

Anyhow, I will keep my search up!  Thanks crew!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, cpuwhiz22 said:

You are not the only one, lot of IT and consultants avoid FB.  But Facebook Marketplace also lists a lot of stuff now that craigslist has started charging in some categories to help keep out the scammers - which has cleaned up craigslist immensly.

You can view and search marketplace without an account, but I don't think you can message the person.  Luckily anything I have found there that was of interest was also on CL

Edited by oldjeep
2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You are not the only one, lot of IT and consultants avoid FB.  But Facebook Marketplace also lists a lot of stuff now that craigslist has started charging in some categories to help keep out the scammers - which has cleaned up craigslist immensly.

You can view and search marketplace without an account, but I don't think you can message the person.  Luckily anything I have found there that was of interest was also on CL

Yeah, I have found that in my area, which is a little out of the city, Craigslist isn't nearly as effective/active and Facebook definitely works better.  In the past I have used my wife as a proxy to buy/sell on there, but now it's a little harder because it's not as straightforward when looking for a used boat.