Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission fluid venting

Have 2001 wakesetter vlx.  Transmission fluid is coming out of the vent, most at higher speeds / rpms.  The fluid level is normal to low when this happens, is normal color.  I fill it to between the lines on dipstick and it continues to blow out the vent into the bilge.  I checked the cooler, disassembled and it looks clear and clean.  The boat runs at 160 degrees consistently.  This is Indmar 5.7 with Hurth 450D transmission.

Edited by Newcomer

Checked the fluid again right after cutting off engine with the cap not screwed in.  Level showed low, still blowing out ATF.  What else should I be checking?  Probably not a lot of fluid but a messy nuisance.  I still think the transmission may be overheating.  What is a recommendation for checking flow of ATF to or through the cooler? The fluid has normal color, and smell.  The fluid is not foamy.  The alarm did sound once, I immediately reduced rpms and have not heard alarm again.

Edited by Newcomer
2 hours ago, Newcomer said:

.  What is a recommendation for checking flow of ATF to or through the cooler? 

I honestly don't know the answer to that question.  I would feel or measure the temperature of both lines and check tranny temp with an infrared thermometer.  Alarm should go in at 143 f.

Infrared on exterior of both lines is slightly different which may indicate flow.  Don't know how precise this is.  One line reads about 96 and the other is around 105.  I think I saw that the top line is the output to the cooler and returns to side of transmission.  Is it possible that the transmission is not moving any fluid?  Also getting terrible fuel economy.  Any way to tell if transmission is binding? Not making any unusual noises.  Thanks