Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Noob with new (used) boat - Is fake a lake unsafe?

1150A

Hi There,

I'm a new owner of a late 80s Malibu Skier. This is our first boat and we are having a great time learning. I am beginner/intermediate with my mechanical skills but hope to do everything I can to learn about the boat. We've had several runs out to lake now and they've all gone relatively well.

My huge fear is my boat not starting after I get all prepped up and go to the lake.  Is it worthwhile to use a fake-a-lake and start the boat in the driveway before heading out to the lake? Is it ever un-safe to use a fake-a-lake? I've read mixed things about it and curious to hear what you guys think of it. I'm not sure if it makes any difference if I'm on  an older boat. I'm not terribly far from a lake.. ~ 30 min.

Also - this is unrelated to my topic title, but what is the proper starting procedure to start the boat. Boat in neutral, turn key on/start? The last few times I had to start the boat and give it a little rev until it would turn on. Is that normal?

Edited by 1150A

There is nothing wrong with using a fake-a-lake.  I always run mine on one at the start of the season and winterizing to change oil etc.. and confirm all is good to avoid anything unexpected at the launch.  I guess the only thing about a fake-a-lake that could be problematic is if you forget to turn the hose on!

Carb'd boat.  Pull the pin to disengage the transmission.  2-3 pumps of the throttle to get fuel in the carb.  Should fire right up.

If you are afraid that your boat won't start at the lake, fix the boat.  There is no reason to be test starting a properly maintained boat in the driveway before each outing.  Do you go out and try starting your car an hour before you plan to leave for the day?

9 hours ago, 1150A said:

Also - this is unrelated to my topic title, but what is the proper starting procedure to start the boat. Boat in neutral, turn key on/start? The last few times I had to start the boat and give it a little rev until it would turn on. Is that normal?

Make sure you run the blower, especially with older carb’d boats.

i had a mid-80’s carb boat. I always put in neutral so I could rev engine, put throttle all the way down once, then started to crank. Sometimes I had to juggle the throttle a bit. You’ll figure it out.

Edited by braindamage