Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

16 25LSV Ballast Tanks Leaking

So been chasing my tail on this a bit trying to slow down the leaks. All my ballast tanks have fittings that are split and leaking water into the bilge. The tanks leak enough that the side under seat compartments gets 2-3 inches of water in the bottom getting things wet that I would prefer not to have wet. I have tried various repairs to get me through the season as the dealer is trying to work me into the schedule, but everything so far (silicon, jb weld, flex seal tape, duct tape) is fairly temporary. Temporary as in they work for about 3 trips then back to having 25-30 gallons of water in the boat (yeah I am enough of a nerd to pull the plug on the launch ramp and fill a 5 gallon bucket) from a 2 hr surf session. If I don't fill the ballast boat stays dry as expected.

Anyone out there having any other solutions/ideas to try?

Here are a few pics and one showing lovely black goo (assume that is mold) growing behind the rear tanks.

ballast 6.jpg

ballast 5.jpg

ballast 4.JPG

ballast 3.JPG

ballast 2.JPG

ballast 1.JPG

Back the hose fittings out. 5200 into the crack and on the fitting itself. Hose clamp around the cracked fitting on the tank, snugged up.

Screw hose fitting in snug, don't popeye it.

Tighten the hose clamp on the tank fitting up.

Give it 24 hrs to dry.

3 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Back the hose fittings out. 5200 into the crack and on the fitting itself. Hose clamp around the cracked fitting on the tank, snugged up.

Screw hose fitting in snug, don't popeye it.

Tighten the hose clamp on the tank fitting up.

Give it 24 hrs to dry.

Thanks for the info. I have thought about 5200, but wasn't sure if it was something that work with plastic on plastic. Have you by chance tried this solution? Seems like maybe you have.

After looking at 5200, while it may work, it doesn't list out polyethylene plastic bonding as a capability. I think I will try G/Flex 650 Toughened Epoxy with a similar approach. 

58 minutes ago, krward said:

Thanks for the info. I have thought about 5200, but wasn't sure if it was something that work with plastic on plastic. Have you by chance tried this solution? Seems like maybe you have.

It is a combination adhesive/sealant. It might not say that it will bond, but it will seal and hold on.

If you have ever worked with it you would know, lol.

1 minute ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It is a combination adhesive/sealant. It might not say that it will bond, but it will seal and hold on.

If you have ever worked with it you would know, lol.

I have worked with it on thru hull fittings and etc., but never plastic to plastic. I will give it a try on an easy to access location and see how it holds up.

Edited for redneck grammar correction.

Edited by krward

On another note either I have amazing luck and the only one with this issue or people just don’t know their boat has the problem.  That said, I do have some pretty sh*tty luck at times.

Good news update. Malibu has decided to send me replacement tanks for the rear tanks and the bow. Fortunately the mid tank is not leaking. Bow is easy enough to replace. Anyone replaced/removed a rear tank?