Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sea Dek Bubbling

Hey all,

I have a problem with the Sea Dek developing air bubbles underneath it on my 2019 23 LSV.  Anyone else have this issue?  Will this be covered by warranty?  If not, any ideas?

Kind of a bummer, right?  Mine is bubbling inside the boat, on the cover for the mechanicals in the center of the boat (the one that's bolted down with hex nuts), not the smaller removable access panels. 

We had almost every piece inside the boat replaced under warranty over the winter and now we have at least 2 pieces starting to bubble again. Big bummer for sure. Anyone know how long the flooring is covered under warranty? Seems like this is something they should get figured out if it bubbles this fast?

1 hour ago, Justinsloan said:

We had almost every piece inside the boat replaced under warranty over the winter and now we have at least 2 pieces starting to bubble again. Big bummer for sure. Anyone know how long the flooring is covered under warranty? Seems like this is something they should get figured out if it bubbles this fast?

I am pretty sure this is more of an installation issue not a quality of materials issue.  I think they probably just slap the stuff down as fast as they can in the factory and it creates some gaps... they add some heat from the sun and they bubble up.  Most of the pieces are installed on textured (non-slip) gel/fiberglass to if you aren't careful you can trap some air. I did my own install and took my time with every piece to ensure there were not gaps or trapped air... but there is no way the factory could take the amount of time I did to do a install.  

ahopkins22LSV
14 hours ago, gregtay said:

I am pretty sure this is more of an installation issue not a quality of materials issue.  I think they probably just slap the stuff down as fast as they can in the factory and it creates some gaps... they add some heat from the sun and they bubble up.  Most of the pieces are installed on textured (non-slip) gel/fiberglass to if you aren't careful you can trap some air. I did my own install and took my time with every piece to ensure there were not gaps or trapped air... but there is no way the factory could take the amount of time I did to do a install.  

100% agree. 

Also, to the OP, you can take a fine sewing needle and poke a hole in the middle of the bubble then work the air out. The glue should stick back down and you won’t have to have anything replaced. You’ll never see the hole from the needle and it seals up 100% so water won’t be getting under it or anything. I’d definitely go this route before asking your dealer to make a warranty claim. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

100% agree. 

Also, to the OP, you can take a fine sewing needle and poke a hole in the middle of the Bible then work the air out. The glue should stick back down and you won’t have to have anything replaced. You’ll never see the hole from the needle and it seals up 100% so water won’t be getting under it or anything. I’d definitely go this route before asking your dealer to make a warranty claim. 

Yep, it's such an easy fix that people tend to overthink.

Just make sure you use good hard pressure when working the air out.

13 hours ago, gregtay said:

I agree completely, especially after seeing how fast ours is peeling up since getting it replaced this winter. We've actually only had 2 bubbles but the majority of the floor has been pealing up on the edges, and no matter how much I try to get it to stick down, it just seems to peel back up over time. My only thought on this would be maybe the dealer didn't clean properly before applying the new flooring?