Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 MXZ vs 24 MXZ

MalibuReady

We have the 2012 22' MXZ and the wake has been awesome whether we have a boat full of people or not. Considering an upgrade to the new 24' MXZ for 2021 and I'm worried about achieving a great surf wake when there's only a couple of us in the boat. Assume bigger boat is going to need way more weight. Anyone have any experience/comments/frustrations?

3 hours ago, MalibuReady said:

We have the 2012 22' MXZ and the wake has been awesome whether we have a boat full of people or not. Considering an upgrade to the new 24' MXZ for 2021 and I'm worried about achieving a great surf wake when there's only a couple of us in the boat. Assume bigger boat is going to need way more weight. Anyone have any experience/comments/frustrations?

I am in a similar situation with the axis lone up . There are multiple threads of people coming from a 22 struggling to dial in the wake on a 24.

for what it’s worth I surfed behind a 17 24 mxz and with me and 1 other person , the only added 450 ballast under the seat on the port side with factory plug and play . Not a bunch to base it off of but the wave seemed incredible ! I was blown away with how far back I could surf 

Edited by smuurph84
  • Like 1

I've found with the redesigns that all the boats just get better with weight.  2021 brings a new 24 MXZ and I would find it hard to believe it doesn't out-surf the 22 (by some degree).  Folks who have surfed the A22/24 might be able to provide insight.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I've found with the redesigns that all the boats just get better with weight.  2021 brings a new 24 MXZ and I would find it hard to believe it doesn't out-surf the 22 (by some degree).  Folks who have surfed the A22/24 might be able to provide insight.

New 24MXZ for 2021?  I thought the only real change for that boat in 2021 is updating the seat vinyl patterns to the "new style" that the 23MXZ and now the 23LSV have. Otherwise the 24 looks unchanged.

5 minutes ago, gregtay said:

New 24MXZ for 2021?  I thought the only real change for that boat in 2021 is updating the seat vinyl patterns to the "new style" that the 23MXZ and now the 23LSV have. Otherwise the 24 looks unchanged.

I was not told it was a new design.  Merely carrying over the 23 MXZ styling cues as well.  

2021 24 MXZ.JPG

I wouldn't be worried at all, and rather expect you'll be blown away by the improved wave, even with only a couple people in the 24 MXZ. Go demo one to see though. The MXZ's didn't really become surf boats until the 2017 redesign, so any dialing in needed for the current generation is just tweaking ballast and wedge setup, compared to the prior generation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I was not told it was a new design.  Merely carrying over the 23 MXZ styling cues as well.  

2021 24 MXZ.JPG

Nice build... what color is that on hull?  

I would not have any worries about achieving a great wave with a small crew.  We are typically out with a group of 4 (<600 lbs people weight) and the wave is fantastic on our 2019 with full ballast, wakemakers plug and play, and 200lbs of lead bags in the bow anchor storage area.

• Like 1

17 and up is insane with just 200 lead in the anchor locker,  doesn't need a crew, one of the best straight out if the box waves in  the entire line up

Jordon Taylor snd Stacia Bank choose a new one every year as sponsored surfers,

look at the their vids , waves are insane and i surfed Jordons ‘17 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, gregtay said:

7 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

2021 24 MXZ.JPG

That is all new. Requiring all new hull molds, it isn’t just taping off new gel lines. The 23 LSV is all new this year right? Even though it looks similar to the 25 LSV? Same with the 2020 VTX which carried over a lot from the 25 LSV too. I’d bet that it has a lot of interior tweaks and hull tweaks and changes too. They are just making hundreds of thousands of new hull molds for new gel lines. Yes it’s still the 24 MXZ, but it’s an all new boat. 

10 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That is all new. Requiring all new hull molds, it isn’t just taping off new gel lines. The 23 LSV is all new this year right? Even though it looks similar to the 25 LSV? Same with the 2020 VTX which carried over a lot from the 25 LSV too. I’d bet that it has a lot of interior tweaks and hull tweaks and changes too. They are just making hundreds of thousands of new hull molds for new gel lines. Yes it’s still the 24 MXZ, but it’s an all new boat. 

I guess you are correct.  The 2020 doesn't have the stepped rub rail.  

I think we may be over valuing how much tooling capital is for these.  From the plants I have been in, they certainly don't feel as complicated as high precision injection molds per se.  Regardless, our dealer wasn't selling it as a new boat.  But, I agree with you as boat companies seem to be deem new boats based on new tooling.  

16 hours ago, gregtay said:

Nice build... what color is that on hull?  

Nassau Blue.  We went to the dealer to look at a 2020 24 MXZ ~1.5 wks ago and it sold a few hrs before we arrived.  Our dealer is down to one Bu for sale to elude to how fast they are moving (it's early July!).  They in turn sent me this one based on what my wife was describing she liked.  Comes in mid / late August.  I can't find Nassau Blue on the 2020 builder tool so it must be a new or renamed color.

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I guess you are correct.  The 2020 doesn't have the stepped rub rail.  

I think we may be over valuing how much tooling capital is for these.  From the plants I have been in, they certainly don't feel as complicated as high precision injection molds per se.  Regardless, our dealer wasn't selling it as a new boat.  But, I agree with you as boat companies seem to be deem new boats based on new tooling.  

I am not over valuing the cost of the molds. Especially when you have 3-4 molds per each model. I guess you could say it isn't a new boat, because the model already exists, but it is an all new 24 MXZ. If your dealer isn't marketing it that way, I am not sure why.

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Did any anybody notice the fixed rear facing seat and second cooler location in the new 24 MXZ?  How’s that not all new?  

Yes - there was a 24MXZ posted at dealer, Ski Shack that shows this, I like it.

https://www.theskishack.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=9105764&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

Capture.JPG

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

Did any anybody notice the fixed rear facing seat and second cooler location in the new 24 MXZ?  How’s that not all new?  

Yea, I think that was referenced in the other thread as it potentially being the "Malibu Ice Box" option.  

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Yea, I think that was referenced in the other thread as it potentially being the "Malibu Ice Box" option.  

It’s not the “ice box” and it’s not an option. Standard feature, just like on the 25 LSV. 

The only reason I bring it up was in response to some who say the 24 LSV is the same boat as before only with new gel lines. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

7FFBEFD5-D211-45BB-8BA6-EBAD9074514E.gif

• Like 1

I think the notion of needing a buttload of weight to get a good surf wave is kindof a relic of the past when hulls were designed to ride on top of the water, not sink deep into it.

• Thanks 1

The 2021 MXZ is going to throw a tidal wave regardless of length. I'd go with the 24 for the rear facing seat/cooler storage and extra roominess. But its easy for me to spend your money. :lol:

• Like 1

OP,

There is no issue with the surf wave behind the 24 MXZ with a small crew. I would be shocked if it isn't better than the 22 regardless of weight and ppl. 

BTW- I have a buddy that just bought a 2020 25 LSV and he feels the wave on my 19 24 MXZ is better than his.  I surfed both and I would agree.  Not counting the M240 the 24 MXZ may have the best wave in the Bu line up.

14 hours ago, IXFE said:

It’s not the “ice box” and it’s not an option. Standard feature, just like on the 25 LSV. 

The only reason I bring it up was in response to some who say the 24 LSV is the same boat as before only with new gel lines. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

7FFBEFD5-D211-45BB-8BA6-EBAD9074514E.gif

Does the Yeti come std on 25?

24 Build Sheet.GIF

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, Five Cent Worth said:

24 Build Sheet.GIF

No... the Malibu ice box is new for 2021. Was not offered prior. I think it’s actually a powered ice box of some sort. I heard some things mentioned last boat show season actually, but haven’t looked into it further or seen it yet. Maybe ask your dealer?

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

No... the Malibu ice box is new for 2021. Was not offered prior. I think it’s actually a powered ice box of some sort. I heard some things mentioned last boat show season actually, but haven’t looked into it further or seen it yet. Maybe ask your dealer?

Thanks for clarification.  Email in on what it is.  

Wife really wants tan interior and a walk through.....

2 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

24 Build Sheet.GIF

Nope, the soft Yeti I show above didn’t come from Malibu. It’s our own. But when the new 25 LSV launched two years ago, this “standard feature” was advertised as a “second cooler location” so we use it as such.  As you can see, we could easily fit a bigger cooler bag in there. Matter of fact, we don’t use the cheap, plastic igloo anymore (the one that Malibu has included under the seats for the past 5+ years)  

Speaking of the cheap, plastic igloo... I found out recently that in 2021 models Malibu no longer includes it.  It’s gone the way of the dinosaur.  If you want a cooler you can opt for a Malibu branded Yeti... come to think of it, I bet that’s the “Malibu Ice Box” option you’re have circled above. 

Boom! Mystery solved!! :salute:

• Like 1