Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suck gates revisited

williemon

Is there a general consensus on what the best type and size and placement for a DIY suck gate would be for the 99 to 2004 or 05 generation VLX LSV in the 21 foot length for best surf wave?  I’m trying to find the best sweet point with my 01 and am building various sizes of gates. Also of note, I don’t have ballast bags yet, just manual wedge and people. I won’t be able to plumb up ballast until next year.

1 hour ago, williemon said:

Is there a general consensus on what the best type and size and placement for a DIY suck gate would be for the 99 to 2004 or 05 generation VLX LSV in the 21 foot length for best surf wave?  I’m trying to find the best sweet point with my 01 and am building various sizes of gates. Also of note, I don’t have ballast bags yet, just manual wedge and people. I won’t be able to plumb up ballast until next year.

Unless you can put a ton of weight in the boat you are just going to be disappointed.  There are so many threads about this your head will spin.  Look in Ballast and how too under VLX surf wave and suck gate.

7 hours ago, williemon said:

I have mine dialed in.  Do it right the first time.  Don't waste time building a suck gate, too many inexpensive options out there that will probably work and look better.  Don't bother trying to surf without adding ballast, as that is step #1.

- 1100's in each locker
- Sack under the port seat, approx 300lbs
- Center locker bag (~500lbs)
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs)
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose, another 200 under the bow filler
- 200lbs lead at the back of the boat as needed; mine are stuffed 100 each side next to the hull behind the interior
- Wedge (mine is a floater)
- Suck gate - mine is the $80 shape the wake unit

All on reversible pumps - zero exposed ballast

6'3" rider (me), no gear, driver only in the boat

Surfing-3.jpg

I’d forgotten about the Ballast how to area. I will check there. Just wanted to know if anyone had found a pretty generic size and placement for a gate that always seemed to work ok. Ballast is needed but I can only do this in steps so looking to get past a step one

I will add that I saw the SWELL H3X Plus on sale for the 4th and they have a 30 day money back option...so I bought it to compare with my DIY.  All I can say is that the difference was huge.  I also noted that the length adjustment was nice and mine was best in the middle....fully extended was the worst.   On the 05-08 VLX, you are limited in your mounting area because of the step.  The H3X Plus rotates to make up for boat pitch....I think this is the biggest improvement over my DIY.

I mount mine just under the step and as far back as possible.

My only complaint is that the black rubber cups will stain your vinyl.....so be careful where you place it when not in use.  Luckily, it just stained my seat saver.

Also....it floats.

Good Luck.