Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Two 24volt boat lifts charged via one solar charger?

Silverlakecrew

Has any one bought one solar charging system Capable of charging two 24 volt boat lifts at the same time?

1 hour ago, Silverlakecrew said:

Has any one bought one solar charging system Capable of charging two 24 volt boat lifts at the same time?

If the two lifts are close enough together and don't get used at exactly the same time, why not run both of them from the same 24 V system?

Barring that, you could easily parallel the 24 V battery banks and charge them with one controller.

They get used a lot.   Hence looking at a solar charging system.   Usually not at the same time.    The batteries (2 sets of 12volt) are about 15 feet away from each other. Looking for a way  to just buy one solar charging system to charge both. 

5 hours ago, Silverlakecrew said:

They get used a lot.   Hence looking at a solar charging system.   Usually not at the same time.    The batteries (2 sets of 12volt) are about 15 feet away from each other. Looking for a way  to just buy one solar charging system to charge both. 

You can gang them in parallel (2S2P) with a decent size wire and then use one 24V solar charger and one set of panels.  This would work best if all four batteries are the same type.  Then you would set your controller to charge that type of battery.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, Silverlakecrew said:

One of my neighbors on the lake has one and it seems to work well for his 1 lift with the battery backup.  You need to look at the amperage necessary for the lift you are looking to buy.  I had to buy a 6000 lb lift for my 07 and it required 220V power.  Newer boats are much heavier and according to my lift store need a 10,000 lb lift.  I do not know if a solar with Battery system would be sufficient.  

There is one charger that I know is capable of this:
https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunsaver-duo/

The issue is that it's a PWM charger, not MPPT. Since it's PWM you can have very high voltage levels go to the battery (that's OK, they can take it) but if you have any electronics in line with the batteries then you'll "let the magic smoke out". This exact charger was connected to the starting batteries on the houseboat and the MEFI controllers didn't live to see the next day. If you only have a DC motor with a switch, then you'll be OK. You could use a PWM charger where there are electronics if there is some type of voltage regulator protecting the electronics.

8 hours ago, mikeo said:

There is one charger that I know is capable of this:
https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunsaver-duo/

The issue is that it's a PWM charger, not MPPT. Since it's PWM you can have very high voltage levels go to the battery (that's OK, they can take it) but if you have any electronics in line with the batteries then you'll "let the magic smoke out". This exact charger was connected to the starting batteries on the houseboat and the MEFI controllers didn't live to see the next day. If you only have a DC motor with a switch, then you'll be OK. You could use a PWM charger where there are electronics if there is some type of voltage regulator protecting the electronics.

That one is 12V only.  He needs a 24V charger, like the Tristar model.  I have had one in continuous operation for over twelve years now charging a pair of golf cart batteries providing power to our little camp.  I have changed the batteries once and upgraded the panel from 100W to 150W because someone gave me a new panel.  I did replace the unit under warranty once, but they didn't question anything and replaced it promptly.

You can set the charge voltage profile in the Tristar, but yes, you do need to be aware of what you are asking it to do.  Equalize voltages can exceed 15V to stir the electrolyte, but you can turn that off if you want to (or if you have SLA batteries, which don't need equalization).

https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar/