Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Slip Question

Textech96

Hi everyone! We just purchased our first boat a ‘20 MLX and secured a boat slip at the local marina. Unfortunately they are currently out of lifts and won’t get one until early August. The plan is leave the boat in the water during that time. Anything special I should be be aware of or concerned about? We will be using the boat each weekend. 

our boat sits in the water at the marina most of the summer.  we use in 3-4 times a week.   depending on how clean your water is, you will develop a scumline as the contaminants start sticking to the fiberglass at the waterline.

I wax the hull before we put it in the water each year. I pull the boat at the first of August to change fluids, clean, any other maintenance.  I also re-wax the hull at that time.  this prevents any water line stain.  

2 hours ago, Textech96 said:

Hi everyone! We just purchased our first boat a ‘20 MLX and secured a boat slip at the local marina. Unfortunately they are currently out of lifts and won’t get one until early August. The plan is leave the boat in the water during that time. Anything special I should be be aware of or concerned about? We will be using the boat each weekend. 

Does it have any metal flake gelcoat colors below the waterline (metal flake can be more of an issue if kept in the water)?  I not.. then just wax it before you drop it in and then maybe pull it out in a month or so, clean it up, nice coat of wax then back in the water for more fun.  Metal f

The marina might be able to refer someone who paints the boat bottom - that was very common in DFW for folks who left it in the water all year.  It’s a special paint to prevent the scum buildup and water lines. Of course depends on what your boat hull colors are.....

My boat sits in the water for the summer.  Every weekend I scrub down the sides to get rid of the water line and wipe down the boat before we go home for the week with a spot remover.  Boat always stays looking good!