Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A22 what to buy?

Bradley Thornton

At this point I know I want an A22 18 and up BUT not sure on what year I need or if it matters.

From what I've read I need the 409 or bigger engine.

Little lost on power wedge 18 has the ll and 19 has the lll whats the difference just that the 3 has a bigger surface area?

I want an Axis because I want as little of electronics as I can get are they all about the same on this I'm looking at 2018-2021?

Anything I need to know?

Anything I need to avoid?

If the right deal came up on a T22 I would pick it up also kids and wife just like sitting up front.

Edited by Bradley Thornton
  • Like 1

The ‘19 has a little bit of a hull redesign, an interior and vinyl refresh (with the much improved drivers seat design) as well as PW3. PW3 is a bit bigger and has more selectable positions than PW2. Engine options are the same in 18 and 19 (typically the 409 with 450 as an option). The engine changes in 2020 to the Malibu Monsoon M5Di with M6Di as an option. The M5 is a 5.3L and has a bit less horsepower than the 409 but has more torque and the peak torque is at RPM’s where we need it most (mid-high 3000’s). M5 is also quieter and more efficient.
I’ve also been told that the Surf Gates are larger on the 2019 vs 18 but don’t know that for sure.  A couple other differences that I can think of between the 18 and 19:

-19 has a 48 gallon fuel tank vs 42 in 18

-19 has batteries under bow seats vs in observers storage in 18. 

-there are a few other interior options available on 19 that 18 doesn’t have as a result of the refresh. But whether or not it has those will depend on how the boat was optioned when built. 

https://www.boatingmag.com/axis-a22/

https://www.boatingmag.com/2019-axis-a22/

Edited by formerathlete
  • Like 1

19 also has the rear sliding bench, PW3 has the same surface as PW2 but is mounted a little higher so you have about 5% better lift mode than 2, you will also have surfpipe with PW3 and taller surfgates like @formerathletementioned. In boat speaker placement changed also. 18 has 2 speakers mounted in back seat, and 1 on starboard and port side further up. 19 went to 2 speakers port and 2 speakers starboard with one at drivers feat, also got rid of black cubby box under helm for sub, 19 is fiberglass with the sub surface mounted.

Edited by st22eve
  • Like 1