Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain Holes for Rear Bins

eubanks

Has anybody drilled drain holes in their plastic bins that sit under the transom seats?  It seems drilling towards the inward  side of the bin would allow these to drain into the engine compartment and get emptied by the auto bilge.  Our bins are half full of water by the end of the day. 

Any thoughts other than just a simple drilled hole?  I was thinking I could place a rubber grommet or something to keep the hole looking a little more finished. 

Thanks, and nice work!  Were you worried about water dripping on some electrical gear hence the drain line?  It looks like a hole drilled towards the transom end of the bin with no drain tube will have water just running down the back of the engine compartment and into the bottom of the hull. But yours is probably a great upgrade. 😉

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, eubanks said:

Thanks, and nice work!  Were you worried about water dripping on some electrical gear hence the drain line?  It looks like a hole drilled towards the transom end of the bin with no drain tube will have water just running down the back of the engine compartment and into the bottom of the hull. But yours is probably a great upgrade. 😉

I figured it was best to just get the water down the the bilge so it drains out the best. And it was cheap so I went for it. 

• 4 weeks later...

@eubanks, this is what I have done to mine and it works pretty well. I drill a small hole in the inboard corners and put some 1/4” tall lattice in the bottom to allow air to circulate under the items stowed in there. Cleaning supplies and ropes most of the time. The black rubber gasket material keeps the back splash out of the boat and the raised height of the buckets all but seals it against the under side of the flip ups helping to keep water out of them. 

6F2807E4-A5DD-497B-A14F-77A13C025ECD.jpeg

4A8F09EB-9647-495C-A125-43D1E68E0191.jpeg

50 minutes ago, wdr said:

@eubanks, this is what I have done to mine and it works pretty well. I drill a small hole in the inboard corners and put some 1/4” tall lattice in the bottom to allow air to circulate under the items stowed in there. Cleaning supplies and ropes most of the time. The black rubber gasket material keeps the back splash out of the boat and the raised height of the buckets all but seals it against the under side of the flip ups helping to keep water out of them. 

6F2807E4-A5DD-497B-A14F-77A13C025ECD.jpeg

4A8F09EB-9647-495C-A125-43D1E68E0191.jpeg

That looks clean, like it was factory installed.  Is the lattice material rubber/plastic/?  Where do you source the lattice and gasket materials?

“That looks clean, like it was factory installed.  Is the lattice material rubber/plastic/?  Where do you source the lattice and gasket materials?”

The lattice is from some plastic beverage bottle/can trays that I had. The lattice kind of offends my OCDness, but it was the best I could come up with at the time. I use those trays everywhere under the seats to keep stuff dry, off of the floor and in one place. The gasket material is some flat 3 or 4 ridged rubber window seal that I got from either Walmart or Lowe’s for that intended purpose. 

Edited by wdr