Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What constitutes "high altitude?"

We typically run our A22 (Monsoon 409) at sea level up to a couple hundred feet. However, we'll be heading up to 800-1000' later this month and I'm wondering if that jump in elevation, albeit small, should necessitate a change from our 2279 (15x15.75) to our 2249 (15x14.25) or "high altitude" prop? Boat will be loaded the same as it always is (no extra lead, just tanks full, pnp full and gear).

We'll primarily be surfing and wakeboarding. We fill everything when we surf. When we wakeboard, we empty the pnp and keep hard tanks full. PW3 will be used for both surfing and wakeboarding.

I think we'll be fine with the 2279 but thought I'd put it out there for additional thoughts.

Thanks!

Edited by formerathlete

no it will not, Norris was 800!ft i believe and almost zero diff

snd i was sea level here with a monsoon 330 5.7l running the 1235

now run 2315 but the 1235 performed as it did at sea level

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 9:17 PM, granddaddy55 said:

no it will not, Norris was 800!ft i believe and almost zero diff

snd i was sea level here with a monsoon 330 5.7l running the 1235

now run 2315 but the 1235 performed as it did at sea level

Norris is 1020 ft at summer pool

and drops 10-20 ft throughout the boating season

7 hours ago, lasik said:

Norris is 1020 ft at summer pool

and drops 10-20 ft throughout the boating season

thx, just means that 1000 ft is not an elevation that will affect performance in much of a measurable way, i didn't feel rhe 3% mentioned above with the base torque 1235 acme

You won't notice 1000' elevation change.

I run from 3600' up to about 8500'.  IMO, a properly propped boat can go around 2000' + / - elevation without needing to change prop.  More than that, and it is worth considering.

I ride at 5500' and it is for sure "high altitude". I agree with RyanB, you'll start noticing it around 2-3K.  Where I'm at I would never own a boat without the bigger motor option and high elevation prop.