Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat turning hard to the left when steering straight

Got in the 2017 boat today and the when I planed the boat and out of the blue the boat turned a sharp left turn and could have thrown us out of the boat if we did not throttle it down.....help

So we were riding about 23 mph...all of a sudden the boat goes into a hard left turn while the steering wheel remains still...sorry for the confusion

See if the steering wheel turns the rudder evenly from port to starboard.  If the steering cable failed or broke internally the rudder will not turn correctly.  If the cable housing nut came loose from the steering tube or bracket on the starboard stringer, or if the end of the steering cable came loose from the rudder arm you will also have problems.

I would check the steering cable nut where it is threaded into the tube at the starboard stringer near the engine first.

Edited by csleaver

if the steering wheel turns the rudder, I'd hold the rudder and GENTLY turn the wheel.  It might be that the cable/mechanism is loose.  Or some weird ju-ju is in play and you got chine lock.

What were the conditions of the water? Good to know to rule our chine lock, etc (where you overtaking another boat? What speed? 

Any chance surf gate deployed?

It was the rudder...it is a 2017 malibu...the rudder turns when the steering wheel is locked into a position...no fun for my kids july 4th weekend

Transmission line cracked (Memorial weekend)

Touch screen coming unglued from the inside out

Now the rudder (no I have not hit anything)