Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV difference 2015-2019

Jdubb16

I know this was recently done for the 25 LSV.  I have searched through several threads and it hard to put this together, but I know the guys that buy yearly know this stuff pretty well.  I am looking at these year ranges to purchase now and between the end of the year.  
 What are the main features/hulls/advances that happened between these years

TIA

16 power wedge with lift mode

18 new hull and pw2 

19 pw3 , swim step, power tower ( may only be mxz and M)

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
30 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

16 power wedge with lift mode

18 new hull and pw2 

19 pw3 , swim step, power tower ( may only be mxz and M)

2015 was the first year with PW2 and lift mode. 18 was just new hull, top deck and other model wide changes that we on all models.

25 minutes ago, Jdubb16 said:

Didn’t 2016 change some of the dash and screens

No. But in 2017 the big brain in the boy is no longer one and the same as the right side control screen. It’s a separate box back on the helm and a heck of a lot less prone to failure. 

2015 was the introduction of the dual (windows based) touchscreen system, with the 7" display in front of the throttle and the 12" display in front of the steering wheel. In 2016 the "surfband" was introduced and a retrofit kit was made available for 2015 boats; this surfband didn't have stereo volume control, but does have speed, wedge, and surfgate. The 2015 has PWII with lift mode, at least if the surfband firmware update was loaded. The 2015 7" display screen was also know to "die" but the computer would still work, just the touch part of the touchscreen would die. Malibu replaced these rapidly, and a short term workaround is/was to attach a USB mouse to the software update USB port or directly to the back of the 7" computer.

Sometime after '16 (MY '17-'19) the transom "beeper" for surfgate transitions was moved to the computer and the warning beeps became sounds from the speakers; if you have a stereo delete the beeps weren't heard (according to sources, unverified). There was also an update away from the Rockford Fosgate RFX-6000 "black box" to a different stereo implementation that has digital enablement of the amplifiers and requires dealers to have a special "dongle" to program the stereo for more tower speakers, etc.

I don't believe the hull changed from '15-'19, but I can't confirm that.

The bimini changed around '17 with many people disliking the updated way the Apex/Commercial Sewing bimini poles attached to the tower.

At some point, around '17 the G4 tower was no longer an option, being replaced with the G.x "power tower" but the PTM clamping racks are still available.

'15 was a GM block engine, '16 Indmar changed to a Ford block engine, someone will update this thread when the Malibu GM based M5 and M6 engines were introduced. Look for a thread with a link to CARB data to get real horsepower data. The California offroad engine emissions database has all the info you'll need to compare engines with "real" data instead of marketing numbers.

The gear ratio changes from 1:1.5 to 1:1.7 (?) in '16 with the new engines, I also recall that the prop clearance was updated from a 15" to a 17" at the same time.

Vinyl: the stuff Malibu used in '16 was widely despised, '17 had some updates, and I believe Malibu went back to the original vinyl upholstery in '18.

The "grip tape" gunnel traction was replaced with SeaDeck in '16. Companies such as GatorStep offer great options for all years.

I'll need more coffee to remember other changes without consulting the brochure books, which are in the reference section.

Some of the bigger milestones that I can remember over the years

2008-2017 - Same basic wet surface but the top deck changed over time

2009 - G3 tower, Malivue offered for the first time (a few 2008s were retrofitted.. so you will find them)

2013 Surfgate (I think that was the year)

2018 Completely new design/hull, heavier boat.  still using Raptor motors, 15" prop

2019 Started the year with PCM motors, around Jan M5/M6 were options (till they weren't due to GM strike)  Gx tower was an option.  first year for the fold down swim step option. Still a 15" prop. New vinyll material.

2020  Dash redesign (looks mostly the same but new software drives everything along with different screen orientation for the smaller screen, android apps, LTE hotspot. M5/M6 (but again GM strike caused some PCM motors to mix in) 17" prop, ratio change. Added Stern Turn thruster, 360 light option to the 23.

2021  New hull.  Added features from the MXZ23 and 25LSV (walk over deck, new wake view seat design)  New G5 tower replaces G3.5.  New gel and seat designs (match 25LSV.)

Thanks a bunch.  I am likely in the 2015-2017 range unless there is a screaming deal for a 18-19 at the end of the year.

looks like 2017 might get me the most bang for the buck, with a lot of big changes, without being in the 19-21 timeframe.  Hoping to be in the $80-85k range

• Like 1

I think the 2019's with the M5 have a less desirable transmission ratio.  I believe they improved this in the 2020's.

51 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I think the 2019's with the M5 have a less desirable transmission ratio.  I believe they improved this in the 2020's.

All 2019 23LSVs have the 15" prop and 1:1.76 ratios regardless of motor (well.. not sure what the ratio is on the supercharged motor option.  Yes...less desirable then the 17" prop and 1:2 ratio but probably only a factor in some situations (loaded up at higher alt.)  25LSV/24MXZ had the bigger prop in 2019 but not the 23LSV.

22 hours ago, Jdubb16 said:

Didn’t 2016 change some of the dash and screens

2015 and part of 2016 had issues so there was a new “rev” but as IXFE stated, they didn’t change. 

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, bass10a said:

anyone in love with the ford engines?  I don't think i could/would buy one with a ford engine no matter the deal

I’m not in love but I wouldn’t turn down a deal because of it. They perform well. They are louder than the new M series engines but it’s not worth turning down a deal because of it in my opinion.

5 hours ago, bass10a said:

anyone in love with the ford engines?  I don't think i could/would buy one with a ford engine no matter the deal

I went from the 350 monsoon to the Ford and love it. I would never do the 350 again. A good friend has a 2019 with the 450 monsoon, not the M6 and besides being quieter than the Ford I am very underwhelmed by it. 

Edited by vaporbluebu

I think the power train changes are what you want to pay attention to in those years that you are looking within.  My experience has been..

• 2015 23 LSV with Monsoon 350 (torque prop) 
  • 2018 23 LSV with Raptor 410 (speed prop)
  • 2019 23 LSV with PCM 409 (speed prop)
  • 2020 23 LSV with M6 and 17" prop. (speed prop)

FWIW - I ran more weight in my 2015 with the monsoon 350 that any boat I have owned.  Bigger Wakemakers bags in the rear and another 650 triangle in the front and the boat handled it just fine at sea level.  Super proven motor and parts extremely available.   Loved my Raptor 410 and it did the job perfectly and again I ran another 650 in the nose.  That motor was loud but my stereo was louder!  In 2019 I just could not stomach having to pay an upgrade charge for the smaller M5 5.3 motor or the upgrade charge for a M6 motor that had not been strapped with a 17" prop like the bigger boat.  That PCM motor was awesome and again I ran 400lbs of lead in the boat and no struggles.  The M6 I have with the 17" prop is hands down the best power plant I have had and it cost me.

If I was in your shoes, I'd looking for the Raptor and PCM motor years...I personally would not touch the M5 in a 23 foot boat or larger based on what I have heard and read.  Then again - it may be just fine and I'd seek out some first hand experience.

Hope this helps and shows you that there is a lot of talk about motors and it really boils down to your use case!

8 hours ago, bass10a said:

I have over 200 hours on my Raptor engine now.  I have not been in a new GM powered plant but can't honestly see all the complaints about the Ford being loud. You can easily carry on conversations in my 23 LSV at cruise speed of 24 ish mph. Wind noise easily overtakes the engine sound. Now when Hydrofoiling behind it and the surf pipe comes out of the water on sharper turns, it sounds like a NASCAR engine but you don't hear that in the boat.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:17 PM, dalt1 said:

I have over 200 hours on my Raptor engine now.  I have not been in a new GM powered plant but can't honestly see all the complaints about the Ford being loud. You can easily carry on conversations in my 23 LSV at cruise speed of 24 ish mph. Wind noise easily overtakes the engine sound. Now when Hydrofoiling behind it and the surf pipe comes out of the water on sharper turns, it sounds like a NASCAR engine but you don't hear that in the boat.

I had the raptor on my 16 and now I have the MD5 on my 19 and I can honestly say it is a night and day difference.  The 5 is super quiet and we can carry on a conversation and clearly hear the music at any speed.  With the raptor it had a great growl but at any speed conversation was a problem and hearing music at a normal listening level was tough!  

39 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

I had the raptor on my 16 and now I have the MD5 on my 19 and I can honestly say it is a night and day difference.  The 5 is super quiet and we can carry on a conversation and clearly hear the music at any speed.  With the raptor it had a great growl but at any speed conversation was a problem and hearing music at a normal listening level was tough!  

I agree the sound of the Raptor is pretty loud comparing my 2016 to my M6.   I also think they added additional sound deadening material in 2017 to help the Raptor out, so 2016 is probably the loudest year.    I still wouldn't shy away from the Raptor for anyone in the market - great motor overall in my experience.     

I am coming from a 2007 with the 8.1L, so the Raptor May even be quieter than what I have.  

thanks for all the advice, it is really helpful in determining what’s is important to us and what is not “worth” the added cost of a newer year.