Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo redo 2000 sportster.

ThinBuLine

Hello all,

Redoing my very basic stereo in my boat as all the speakers, head unit and amp are 20 years old...

im going to go with 4 Rockford fosgate marine speakers with a Rockford fosgate sub and it’s own amp to power it. Question is, for this new head unit (arm rest single din) should I use it to power the speakers or still run a separate amp for the speakers. 

also what head unit would you guys recommend. I’d prefer just running the speakers off the head unit and it has to have blue tooth. Having the option of a transome remote would be awesome too. 

thanks!

I prefer to amplify the in-boats, especially with a woofer. Depending on your final woofer choice, you could go with a 5 chnl amp that would drive both woofer and in-boats. One amp to install and wire. 

I keep meaning to do it, but you can also buy the FM transmitter that plugs into your cig lighter.  That's my bluetooth plan for my head unit rather than replace it, since it otherwise works flawlessly.

In boat speakers should definitely be powered by an amp.

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

you can also buy the FM transmitter that plugs into your cig lighter. 

I've tried a couple of these and they suck to be blunt.  I'd just (and di) get a cheap BT head unit.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I've tried a couple of these and they suck to be blunt.  I'd just (and di) get a cheap BT head unit.

Each of my sons have one in their cars and they work perfectly for them.  I would grab one occasionally (when I remembered) to go on the boat and they worked great for me too.  Maybe it depends on proximity of other channels in the area that you operate?  

7 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Each of my sons have one in their cars and they work perfectly for them.  I would grab one occasionally (when I remembered) to go on the boat and they worked great for me too.  Maybe it depends on proximity of other channels in the area that you operate?  

Sound quality, lag, etc.  I guess for 5 or 10 bucks it might be OK.  But if I was replacing a 20 yr old stereo, I'd get BT built-in.  For the OP - get a BT wireless remote - they are cheap.  Heck, my Garmin Forerunner will control my stereo.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Sound quality, lag, etc.  I guess for 5 or 10 bucks it might be OK.  But if I was replacing a 20 yr old stereo, I'd get BT built-in.  For the OP - get a BT wireless remote - they are cheap.  Heck, my Garmin Forerunner will control my stereo.

I’m not a big fan of the fm transmitters either. Always found static or other nonsense that comes along with them. 

Any Bluetooth wireless remote will work with any head unit? 

I have a newish 5 channel JL audio amp sitting in my garage I’ll use to power the in boats and sub.