Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard tower movement?

Just bought a 2001 Sunsetter VLX and the wakeboard tower has real bad side to side movement. Is this supposed to be this way, I’m just afraid to over tighten the tower down on the hull 

It’s this same tower. Has similar movement but mine appears to be worse: can see it wiggling while on trailer and when water gets choppy it gets a really bad shake if it stays in rhythm 

9 hours ago, m0tylpo said:

I’m just afraid to over tighten the tower down on the hull 

If it moves against the fiberglass, it is not tight enough. 

Older tower designs were quite wobbly compared to today's towers.  Even the XS tower has some movement to it.  Based on the video it looks like it is moving pretty good but if the mounts are tight to the hull (make sure there is a thin rubber pad/gasket between the mounts/feet and the hull) and any tower joints are tight then I think you are fine.  Always good to check the mounting bolts on those towers once a year.

That is the exact same tower I put on my Bayliner and it didn't move like that.  What kind of backing plates did they use on the inside of the hull and how big are they?

IMG_2026.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • 2 weeks later...

Idk it’s not letting me upload pics. Would you be able to? I tightened all the mounts down and it’s a lot better but there is still some movement side to side especially on the water and it squeaks real loud

Assuming everything is tight, I'd rip that tower off and put it in the dumpster.  Even my Skylon Swoop (factory tower), which are known for having some movement, can't do anything like that even with multiple racks, bimini and 4 tower speakers hanging from it.  It will move side to side a bit on choppy water but you aren't doing that by hand.  I wouldn't trust a tower with that much flex.