Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone run an OJ prop?

Our boat is a 2020 T23 with the M5. We are running the 750 PNP bags and 550 lbs of lead. 400lbs of that is in the bow. The prop is an acme 2249 (15x14.25). 

At surf speeds we are turning 4000 RPM’s. Sometimes the speed doesn’t want to hold or takes a while to get there. Im not sure if the prop is getting cavitation/slipping. 

I talked with OJ props and they recommended the new V4 15x14. They said it will have better hold and reduce the RPM’s. I’m hesitant to spend the money and only drop 0.25 in pitch. OJ said the design is what helps not just the drop in pitch. 

Does anyone have any experience with an OJ prop?

14 hours ago, BJM said:

I talked with OJ props and they recommended the new V4 15x14. They said it will have better hold and reduce the RPM’s. I’m hesitant to spend the money and only drop 0.25 in pitch. OJ said the design is what helps not just the drop in pitch.

I’m curious about this. How are the designs different between OJ and ACME? How would whatever their secret is create better hold?

I dont have the new "V4", but I run an OJ 925 that is the best prop ever.  Pulls great, 20% better fuel mileage (calculated), and can still pull me on a slalom ski at 34 mph.  I dinged it, so it's getting repaired right now and I have my old Acme on the boat, and it just reminded me how much better my OJ is.  Eric, at OJ, always answers questions and can give great advice on prop selection for you.

I’m going to pull the trigger on it and see how it does. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Eric does seem great. Neat to see a CEO reply back to customer questions. 

The V4 15x14 seems like a great option to test against the 2249. They need to make a V4 15x15 or 15x15.5 with .120 cup to go up against the ACME 2277 and 2279. They have a V4 15x16.25 with .120 cup but I don’t want to go that high in pitch, especially with the higher cup than my 2279 (15x15.75 .105 cup). They have a ton of V3 options, so maybe it’s only a matter of time before they have more in the V4 lineup. 

But back to the original post, I’ll be interested to see how the V4 15x14 performs on your T23, if you try it. I find it hard to believe you’ll have a decrease in RPM but if you get that PLUS more low end to help get to/hold your speed, that’s a helluva prop. 

Edited by formerathlete

I currently run an acme 2773 on my 2020 t22 and looking to lower rpm some. I usually run stock ballast plus 750's in rears  and 450 sac in bow along with 300lbs of lead in bow and at 22mph I'm usually running 44-4500 rpm. After talking with both acme and oj about options I decided to order the oj 1951 15x14. It should show up tomorrow and I hope to test it out this weekend and see how it compares. Acme gave me different answers on which prop to try depending who I talked to each time I called and Eric at Oj  was very adamant that the 1951 was the prop I needed

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the OJ prop:

I surfed yesterday with the new prop. Crew was on the lighter side. Probably 300 lbs of people and 550lbs of lead. Plug & play bags were filled to 500 ish. I went with the OJ V4 1961. It’s a 15x14. 

Surf speed RPM’s were about the same but the speed holding, smoothness, and hole shot was much better at getting to surf speed. The boat was able to get to desired surf speeds in all wedge positions. Cruising around empty was about the same as before as I couldn’t tell much difference. 

So far I’m happy with the selection. Hopefully results stay the same when more people are in the boat.