Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deal or No Deal 2015 A22

Bradley Thornton

Found a 2015 A22 for $55k 

Hrs- 75hrs

Motor 350

4 wetsound tower speakers

2 swivel racks

Surf gate

power wedge

Haven't seen the boat in person but from pics 8to10 on how good of shape its in.

Simple question how good of a deal is it?    (Really didn't plan on buying till winter and just learn the market but I think its a good deal but not 100% sure)

Is the 350 too small? 

2 minutes ago, Bradley Thornton said:

Is the 350 too small? 

I would say the general consensus I have come to understand is yes, it is underwhelming in terms of performance.  I think many 350 owners would be quick to point out that they are a pretty reliable workhorse, and there are lots of aftermarket parts like props to help with the performance. 

If I was going to stay on a small, fairer weather, low elevation lake, and didn’t plan to carry more than 5-6 adults, a 350 would suffice.  When I bought I demo’d a 350, 409, and LS3.  I settled on the 409 and am pretty happy with it.  Packs nearly the same power as the ls3, and has a less expensive and easier to work on design by comparison.

11 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

I would say the general consensus I have come to understand is yes, it is underwhelming in terms of performance.  I think many 350 owners would be quick to point out that they are a pretty reliable workhorse, and there are lots of aftermarket parts like props to help with the performance. 

If I was going to stay on a small, fairer weather, low elevation lake, and didn’t plan to carry more than 5-6 adults, a 350 would suffice.  When I bought I demo’d a 350, 409, and LS3.  I settled on the 409 and am pretty happy with it.  Packs nearly the same power as the ls3, and has a less expensive and easier to work on design by comparison.

So you would say the 350 is a deal breaker at $55k?

2 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Power wedge on a 2015?

maybe not I know it has a wedge so your saying on a 15 it should be manual?  That sucks I like the idea of power lol.

I honestly don’t know very much about axis value but it seems reasonable.  I was looking for a boat last summer and I got really anxious around the 4th of July and almost paid too dollar for a nice 2013 23lsv with a 350.  I ended up waiting a few weeks and buying one a year new, with less hours, and the bigger motor.  I’m glad I waited but I’m sure whoever owns that 2013 is happy also.  Here’s what I found out though: there’s a lot of people with nice boats ready to sell as soon as they get one last 4th of July with their boats.  I noticed the prices came down and the availability went up.  I purchased my boat on July 20th last summer.  

• Like 1

Not knowing all the options is hard to judge price.  I sold my 15' A22 with 300 hours in January 2019 for $56k.  The one you listed has less hours but may have less/more options.  Onlyinboards has a "recently sold" section and you can see what similar optioned boats sold for and when.  

As far as the boat goes.  The A22 was by far the easiest boat I have ever setup for surfing.  Stock tanks full, 800s in back and horseshoe bag up front, drop wedge and it threw an amazing wave.  I feel like my 22VLX is now slightly better but it's been two season of messing with wedge settings, weight and lead but I think I'm finally where I need to be.  I didn't have to fuss when I had the manual wedge.  Don't get me wrong, the power wedge is great for finite adjustments but you never stop "overthinking" vs just riding.

The 350 had no issues at surf speeds and we had the 1235 prop so we could still run 40mph but the engine likes high RPMs.  Watch your oil level as I always added a quart for 25-30 hours of usage but that was typical in all of them when loaded.  If you plan to wakeboard with full weight, forget about it unless you add a bow bag or 2-3 adults up front.  We only wakeboard occassionally and never ran full weight.  I would fill hard tanks, bow bag and drop wedge and it was plenty for our skill level.  

40 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Not knowing all the options is hard to judge price.  I sold my 15' A22 with 300 hours in January 2019 for $56k.  The one you listed has less hours but may have less/more options.  Onlyinboards has a "recently sold" section and you can see what similar optioned boats sold for and when.  

As far as the boat goes.  The A22 was by far the easiest boat I have ever setup for surfing.  Stock tanks full, 800s in back and horseshoe bag up front, drop wedge and it threw an amazing wave.  I feel like my 22VLX is now slightly better but it's been two season of messing with wedge settings, weight and lead but I think I'm finally where I need to be.  I didn't have to fuss when I had the manual wedge.  Don't get me wrong, the power wedge is great for finite adjustments but you never stop "overthinking" vs just riding.

The 350 had no issues at surf speeds and we had the 1235 prop so we could still run 40mph but the engine likes high RPMs.  Watch your oil level as I always added a quart for 25-30 hours of usage but that was typical in all of them when loaded.  If you plan to wakeboard with full weight, forget about it unless you add a bow bag or 2-3 adults up front.  We only wakeboard occassionally and never ran full weight.  I would fill hard tanks, bow bag and drop wedge and it was plenty for our skill level.  

Is the front bow bag on top or under the seat I really don't want bags showing? 

Thanks I didn't know onlyinboards had that. It looks like $55k is just normal price. 

I think I'm just going to buy new get the 5year warranty.

Don't really plan on buying till the winter unless I come across a deal I can't turn down looks like I need to be at 50K for that to happen on this boat.

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

@Bradley Thornton

you need to inspect any 15 a22 for spider cracks on gelcoat on side of hull and underneath

tgat was first year walk thru windshield and they had stringer separation problems in the early production months

boat may already have gone back to factory for warranty repair so make sure you inquire about it

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1

@Bradley Thornton  The horseshoe bag fit under the front seat.  Axis doesn't have front hard tanks so bags are a must.  I never ran weight on top of seats either.  The bag claimed to be 950lbs but I would estimate it was around 600 without popping seat cushions up.  2016s were the first year Axis offered a 5 year warranty.  I'd take a well maintained boat outside of warranty any day as I try to do most repairs on my own but the pictures of that boat don't give me the warm fuzzy's and especially not at top dollar. 

I would wait.  Used boat prices are insane right now due to demand.  Who would have thought?  I was hoping that when Covid started that we could come out of it with a 40'+ toy hauler 5th wheel at a severe discount and you can't even find them right now.  If you do they're $10k higher than in the spring.  

• Like 1
On 7/2/2020 at 5:54 AM, wedge88 said:

The onlyinboards sold tip is awesome. Had no idea it was there. Thank you. I can't pull up the boats to look at options though. Woudl only make it better.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Bradley Thornton message me if interested in seeing pics, I have 2015 A22 going to list towards end of August. Think has just over 500 hours. I’ll prob list for 60k, boat looks much better then one in this thread and runs great. It’s on Center Hill Lake in TN.

• Like 1

I purchased a 14 a24 with every option you named plus some others. It also has the upgraded 409, which I would recommend over the 350(I had that in my 12 a22 and would not buy another boat for surfing with it). I paid $60k. Personally, I'd say $55 is steep for that boat. 

I had an 2015 A22,  loaded msrp 84k paid 70k. Awesome boat. The 350 will do fine. All we did was surf. I ran 750s in the lockers, horseshoe in the bow, and a 540 walkway at times. The stereo pack 3 which I had and you have on that boat was stunning.

11 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

I had an 2015 A22,  loaded msrp 84k paid 70k. Awesome boat. The 350 will do fine. All we did was surf. I ran 750s in the lockers, horseshoe in the bow, and a 540 walkway at times. The stereo pack 3 which I had and you have on that boat was stunning.

It seems crazy that in 2015 loaded was 84K and now you are around 105-110 for an Axis A22 loaded with bigger engine.  Your reduction was about 17% would put the new one at 87K.  Of course hard to get much discount these days.