Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu or Axis (+an introduction)

ThinBuLine

Hello all,

A little into.

A few months ago, the wife and I purchased our first boat.

2000 Malibu Sportster Lx - stock no mods with only 300 hours  - $8000 (stole it). Only catch is that it hasn’t run in 2 years and the trailer is in rough shape(tandem axel extreme) .

We bought it from a co worker who was the original owner and he Maintained the interior and engine perfectly. The vinyl is damn near perfect, no stains in the carpet and all gauges work. The gel coat was oxidized and had a little yellowing. A quick run with rubbing compound and a polished tool out the oxidation but not the yellowing. We will get back to this another day...

Took it to our local mechanic who rebuilt the carb, new fuel pump, fuel filter , got rid of the bad gas, new battery and she purrs like the day she was bought. We’ve already put 40 hours on it this season and no issues with the boat. (knock on wood)  

I grew up on I/O boats and love the lake. 2 big trips a summer and on the water every week at least once. We are already thinking about upgrading as we have fallen in love with surfing and as you well know surfing is next to impossible with this boat. 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMOsmp6lxAcI2f5nZR1-xXl9b-FE0okZrpFQ_iEfZ-7bfG1QV_oOZI-MyRkbSUKvQ?key=OEFoTnVNd2RSRU9kekUzRDVYUUdrMy1xVG03aXNB

So I pose the question...

We love the 23 LSV with the M5 however, looking at axis, you can get a little more boat for the money. What’s the catch? We are brand loyal people and love our little boat now and would love to stay in a Malibu but does it make sense as we can get the same if not more boat for less....

All opinions are welcomed. 

Have done a little bit of research but not a whole lot. Been to the dealer and talked to a few friends. Maybe you can educate me further.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You've looked the prices, right?

Coming from an Axis I can tell you they are a good boats.  It served us well for 10 years with 0 issues.  With that said my new Bu has a way more solid feel to it.  Way nicer amenities, lux level and all the cool touch screens, plus 10 years of improvements in my case.  The big question is what's important to you, how you want to use the boat, and how much you want to spend.  You may not find to choose from atm.  The deals were ridiculous in April now it's hard to find a boat let alone a deal.

Could you see yourself getting back into an axis. I’m not too concerned about the price points, but who wants to throw money at something if it’s not really worth it. Your opinion, having both is extremely valuable and I hope more owners chime in!

I would not go back personally.  I really like the refinement of the Malibu it was well worth the money for us.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, Gaffster01 said:

I would not go back personally.  I really like the refinement of the Malibu it was well worth the money for us.

Comparing a 10 year old Axis to a new Malibu is not quite fair to be sure.  

Same engine, same power Wedge III if you want it, same surfgate technology, it is hard to beat.  Nicer feeling interior and screens are the main difference.  Also if you are in love with the Malibu tower, the Axis tower is different.  

I've never had a good or bad day at the lake based on the upholstery detail.  I have questioned my choice (axis) when folding the tower at the beginning or end of the day though.  It's really heavy (with tower speakers) with no shock assist.  That said for me the choice was largely driven by overall height on the trailer and the malibus are all to tall to fit in my older (but deep) garage.

the  Axis tower up down thing with speakers is a big deal every week doing at least 40- 45 times a year

i have the older FATAX tower and i can put it down by myself but need help from wife to put it up 

wife nixed the plan  to put a rev410 in the middle of my 2rev 8’s after helping me going up for the first time with  the rev8’s

i understand the new model year has an assist

I had a 2016 Axis A24 and loved it.  Great boat, big wake, a true raw wakeboard/surf boat built for simplicity and practicality.  Hard to go wrong.

I now own a Malibu LSV25 - big boat, lumbers a bit more in handling (not as nimble) but has loads of extras and the electronic controls make it simple once you have your settings all loaded.  Love the folding step off the swim platform for my wife's parents to board easily when swimming.  

From a practical standpoint, Axis gets it done.  From a luxury standpoint, the Malibu wins out clearly but all those electronics does create the opportunity for a failure that takes you out, versus the raw version of an Axis.  Hard to go wrong with either for raw performance.  Just a question of all of the extras that Malibu throws in.  

Really similar boats from a distance. One costs a ton more. Go sit in both if you can find a dealer with the Malibu version and the Axis version of the same boat. You will be able to see the reason that one costs a ton more almost immediately. Then if you are lucky, you can demo both. It will be more clear why the extra cost. I've only owned Malibus, and I'm happy. If I would have bought the right motor, and the right upgrades in an Axis, I would assume the Axis would have made me just as happy. 

I went from a 2012 Wakesetter VLX to a 2020 Axis T22 and couldn't be happier. I love the simplicity of the Axis. The major difference between the 2 would be touch screens which if you can do without will save you money. The simplicity of use in the Axis is nice and the only thing I miss from my vlx is the ballast gauge. Performance wise I feel the axis is right in line with similar Malibus. It all comes down to if you want or need the high end creature comforts and tech or not.