Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing with a Wakesetter LXI

BuJay

I just purchased a 2002 Wakesetter LXI.  Slalom is my main thing but I wanted to try to surf as well.  I've done it once before on a wake boat so I have some familiarity with it.  A buddy gave me a few fat sacs and I bought a Swell H3X Plus wave shaper.  I picked the new Swell because it would allow me to adjust the angle and still be able to mount it low on the hull and its adjustable size so that I can tweak it for the best results.  After all, its a DD, and I need all the help I can get!

First time out I was able to go ropeless!  We had 350-400 lbs on each side of the motor box, about 600 lbs where the back seats are supposed to be, ~300 lbs with the factory center bag and the manual wedge down.  We played with the Swell in a couple different locations and angles but ended up as far back and as low as it would go with the angle at "1" which I think is like 7°.  The picture below is without the "plus" upgrade extended.  I think I may be tweaking for a long time (Isn't that what surfing is all about!?!) but I'm happy with my initial success.

I've been thinking about buying my own bags.  I'm curious if anyone else with Sunsetter LXI's or Wakesetter LXI's have any recommendations for the setup.  I've thought about getting the 1500 lb fat seat but then I loose the ability to customize it or change it over time (like what do I do if I have 8 people onboard?).  Oh, and after this first trip, I went to replace my fuel filter and found out that my back ski locker is reinforced...so that opens up some other options in terms of weighting.

I'd love to hear from all you DD owners out there.  Let me know what I should try!

MeSurfing.JPG

Loaded.JPG

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Experiment with adding a couple hundred poinds in the boat area (watch for rollers!).  Made a huge difference in surfing wake on my Response.

Did you mean "bow area".  I have thought about doing that but also thought about rollers.  Generally I don't want to be weighted this much when its busy out anyways.  I have also read that bow weight is needed to make the wedge effective.  Essentially, if the back is already weighted down, the angle on the wedge doesn't create any additional (or not as much) downward force.  Thanks for the advice.