Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sportster Vinyl Skins?

SpencerK1992

Hi There,

I would really like to begin the process of replacing the vinyl in my 2002 Sportster. Is there any hope for finding the skins? Does the infamous “Chee” still make skins for older boats?

Any help is much appreciated! 

I used Gabriel Garcia back in December of 2018 to make my back 3 skins for my 2008 VTX.  Could not have been happier.  Great work, match exactly.   I think I lucked out, as he responded right away when I reached out to him.   From the day I requested he make them to me receiving them was about a month.  Honestly I think I lucked out on him responding right away and then being able to deliver them as I heard he is really backed up.   His email is [email protected] 

22 hours ago, SpencerK1992 said:

Hi There,

I would really like to begin the process of replacing the vinyl in my 2002 Sportster. Is there any hope for finding the skins? Does the infamous “Chee” still make skins for older boats?

Any help is much appreciated! 

Find a local guy who is willing to work with you... I have done this in the past for stitch repairs to complete interiors...bring him the seats with ALL STAPLES REMOVED (he will be your friend). He can then re-skin, and re-staple and you put them back in the boat.  Best to do over the winter for a complete interior so not rushing (him or you).

My seat bases need a redo currently (already been stitched a couple of times) but I'm thinking of getting enough material for the entire boat and doing this piecemeal... some upholstery shops don't like doing it this way.

34 minutes ago, DWhynot said:

Find a local guy who is willing to work with you

Be sure to check their work in person and get references.  Recently I had to have a house chair base recovered and picked what used to be one of the top upholstery places in town to do it.  Price seem a bit high, but OK.  Well they bolluxed it up - did not cover both sides of the cushion with the material I selected (they said they did not order enough - not MY problem!), used a crappy zippy, raced through the stiching it seems, and took it upon themselves to overstuff the cushion. So now they are redoing it - but I am less than impressed.  I should have given this to my boat upholstery guy who was 100 times better.  Live and learn.

• Like 1

I have a local guy who made me a nice snap on cover this spring, and he said he would do the entire interior for $2k which seems like a good deal. If any of you would mind taking a look at his facebook page and giving me feedback on his work, that would be appreciated. I am not really sure what to look for, but he has been doing some nice jobs lately.

https://www.facebook.com/AtoZuph/ 

4 minutes ago, SpencerK1992 said:

I have a local guy who made me a nice snap on cover this spring, and he said he would do the entire interior for $2k which seems like a good deal. If any of you would mind taking a look at his facebook page and giving me feedback on his work, that would be appreciated. I am not really sure what to look for, but he has been doing some nice jobs lately.

2K is a great deal - but like Dad used to say "TANSTAAFL".  I hate to sound harsh, but some of the pics show  sloppy workmanship - like the side (coaming) panels.  Those should be French seams and much tighter.  FWIW his car stuff looks way better - my upholstery guy said auto is much easier than boat.  No idea why.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, SpencerK1992 said:

That guy doesn't do all that great of work from the pics I am seeing.  Passable on some of it.  2k for an interior = cheap vinyl, rushed job.