Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 22LSV Surf Gate Sensor Fault

Have a brand new 2020 wakesetter (22LSV). Getting a “right surf gate sensor fault” alert on the screen. It occurred after my daughter was surfing, ended, and while turning around to get her we had to go quickly to get in front of another boat. It seems it is just a calibration issue because the settings show port side surf gate retracted and starboard surf gate not retracted yet it is. In previous years, it appeared you can calibrate the surf gates but there is no such option on the 2020. Any ideas on how to get them calibrated?  We don’t think it’s an actuator issue because the gate will go in and out. It goes out when we select “home”. It just seems to be confused. 

One of the dealers told us all that does is power them open to work on them. It doesn’t do any calibration. Don’t know what to believe. On a week’s vacation at the lake and can’t surf left. 

I agree with op that it doesn’t sound like actuator, but if it were me and my week vacation on the lake, I would strongly consider switching the right and left side actuator and see if that changes anything to rule it out.  There have been so many symptoms discussed over the years that have been fixed by changing actuators.  It’s something you can do for free, essentially just the time it takes to swap them.  If it turns out to be it you are set up to surf left until a replacement arrives.  

Each surf gate actuator has an internal reed switch.  When the actuator is fully retracted the reed switch is closed, and as soon as the actuator starts to extend the reed switch is open.  Each actuator has two separate connectors with two wires.  The large 10 gauge blue and green wires from the actuator connector go to the relay pack to power the actuator motor, and the small 18 gauge red and black wires on the actuator connector send the reed switch signal to the I/O module connected to the CAN and relay module.

If the reed switch inside the actuator fails, or if the small red and black wires are not making a good connection, the reed switch will not indicate closed when it is supposed to and the surf gates will not work correctly.

If the actuator never actually retracts all the way because it contacts the swim platform, or runs slow do to a loose connection at the port aft breakers, or a loose connection at the main battery power post in the engine compartment, or a low battery, or faulty relay pack, or faulty actuator motor, the surf gates will not work correctly because both actuator reed switches must be closed when the gates are fully retracted.

There is a small red hydraulic bypass valve on each actuator that you can use to physically move the actuator by hand.  Turning the valve 2 or 3 full turns counter clockwise with a 10 mm wrench will release the hydraulics so you can push it in or out, and turning it clockwise until snug will close the bypass valve for normal use.  The surf gates will need to be run in and out using the surf gate service option in the setting / configuration menu a few times after using the bypass valve before the actuators will work normally again.

You can use the setting / diagnostics / debug assist to monitor the position of the surf gates.  They both must show retracted on the screen when they are retracted or the surf gates will not work correctly.

• Like 2

This exact same thing just happened to me last week. After a lot of messing around,  all I had to do was reset the fuses for the surfgates. The fuses are located in the port side rear locker. Hope this helps. 

10 hours ago, Heiny said:

This exact same thing just happened to me last week. After a lot of messing around,  all I had to do was reset the fuses for the surfgates. The fuses are located in the port side rear locker. Hope this helps. 

I have the same issue.  How do you reset the fuses?  2020 M240.  I’ve seen the fuses but don’t know how to reset them.

The four breakers in the port aft storage compartment each have a yellow lever on the center that will flip down when tripped.  To reset the breaker, push the yellow lever up until it clicks and remains flush with the small plastic piece that covers the yellow lever.

My breakers weren’t tripped then when I checked and the error code and surf gate malfunction still shows up randomly.  One day it’s perfect the next it is there all the time and not functional.   Waiting on Malibu go figure out a fix for my M240.

3 hours ago, potterm said:

My breakers weren’t tripped then when I checked and the error code and surf gate malfunction still shows up randomly.  One day it’s perfect the next it is there all the time and not functional.   Waiting on Malibu go figure out a fix for my M240.

Sounds like a loose connection to me.

Sounds like your dealer needs to get in the boat and try to find it.