Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sudden warmer engine temp when done pulling

We have relocated to a lake for a few weeks during the Rona. Our boat has been in the water for about 5 days straight, which I am sure will be a fun clean when I pull it out. We went surfing last night, and the temperature is fine when running (my engine runs about 166). When we came back to get the rider, it started to show a temp of 180-185 were normally it would show in the 170s. Once I got going again, it was fine. We normally get the boat back on the trailer, so this is our first time in the water for a period of time. Is there anything I should be looking at / cleaning that may have caused this increased temp? Is this anything to be worried about? This lake is cooler, so I assumed it would not result in higher temps. I did just have the 100 hour service, and they replaced the impeller.. so that should be good.

Thanks in advance!

not sure what year boat you have but if you have a sea strainer you might need to clean that out.  If you do this on the water make sure to turn the water intake off near the bottom of the hull before you take the sea strainer off.  Otherwise, you might have something in the lines before and after the impeller that is blocking water flow.

1 minute ago, gahvey said:

not sure what year boat you have but if you have a sea strainer you might need to clean that out.  If you do this on the water make sure to turn the water intake off near the bottom of the hull before you take the sea strainer off.  Otherwise, you might have something in the lines before and after the impeller that is blocking water flow.

Thanks, it is a 2018 malibu. I will take a look and see if there is one.

Ok - ours is under the bins of the back seats on the M5 engine.  Some models had it more up front.

Here is a video from my dealer on it:

sure seams like it but I can't tell where the hose on that is running to.  It looks pretty gross in there though.

1 minute ago, gahvey said:

sure seams like it but I can't tell where the hose on that is running to.  It looks pretty gross in there though.

The top is a big, 1", tube that looks like the raw water intake. So, I will make that my goal for today to figure out how to clean it out. The engineers at malibu do a great job of getting things into tight spaces where I can not reach my hands :)

30 minutes ago, bkearney said:

@gahvey I assume this is the strainer?

IMG_20200701_091032.jpg

You just unscrew the top black cap, pull the filter screen, clean and done.  Ours has a shutoff valve on water intake so you can do it while in the water.  If you're on a lift on land, no need.  Takes about 20 seconds to do as we did it every day last week while on vacation since so much debris was in the water.  

24 minutes ago, gahvey said:

The hose is likely for a flush fitting on the transom (so you can run without a fake a lake)

Edited by oldjeep
36 minutes ago, gahvey said:

glad to hear it....must have been full of gunk?

There was a little bit of stuff on the bottom, so when the impeller was working it was fine but when idling not enough was getting through.