Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Malibu LSV (Leaking)

Hello,

It's been a frustrating 4 weeks of owning a Malibu. We just bought this Malibu and its coming with lot of problem. I'm on the biggest issue we have is leaking coming around drive shaft/rudder area. We have already packed sealed the drive shaft with packing but seems to be still leaking around there. 

Boat: 2000 Malibu 247LSV 

Here picture of the leak https://ibb.co/0CLkW29 

Here picture of the drive shaft > Replaced the sealing with 3/16 : https://ibb.co/db40DhT

Our next thing would be to replace the rudder sealing. Let me know if anyone had similar issue and could help me trace out the water leak. Its my first boat :( 

Just to be clear - it’s leaking inside the boat, yes?
The water dripping out of the hull in your pic is simply the HDS box emptying out when pulling the boat out of the water. Perfectly normal.

if you got water inside - do a search here “HDS leak”.

45 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

AFAIK only direct drive boats had the HDS.

That’s true. And if you would have checked the OP’s picture ... :biggrin:

24 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

That’s true. And if you would have checked the OP’s picture ... :biggrin:

True.  My bad.  But what is a " 2000 Malibu 247LSV "?  Did they make a DD 24 footer in 2000?

Hello all,

So this been a big problem trying to tackle to get the model and everything about the boat. I have contracted Malibu directly and this what they told me based on HULL #, its 2000 Malibu 247LSV. They have no idea the type of engine or anything. We have a leaking somewhere either from what I think rudder or drive shaft. When i took to the lake and backup up onto the ramp, first sign of water coming in is from the back around the rudder and come to drive shaft then to the engine area. The rudder also feels to be loose.  We order part for the rudder today. 

Here is more picture of the boat and the engine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HPt7qcxFihEdL7IR8JzkuxoNjQXzh3Y3/view?usp=sharing 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LexkdjB16_M6gmeESCAHgWGwn8J6I5J9/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mO_k_40-BOiAtPdS2vnAg4WdYAg7NMoQ/view?usp=sharing 

Would love to hear what type boat is and the engine. Its crazy what Malibu said because on the owner manual it doesn't even have 247LSV. 

Still doesn't work.  I hate Google for posting to a forum.

Load one photo to imgur, copy the link, then add it here via "insert other media" but add .jpg to the url.  Repeat for more images (don't just load a bunch and then post one url).

Whats the best way to trace this leak out? I have put in the lake last week and seems to buildout around the back first then comes around the drive shaft area then to the engine. I feel like either the rudder is leaking because its also really loose or the HDS Leak. We have already packaged the drive shaft seal with 3/16 rope seal packing. 

Steve,

Yes the water is coming into the boat. When i took to the lake it started coming from the back into around the drive shaft area then to the engine. The bilge pump works also none stop when boat fully in the water. 

Asmir, 

Two things to check:

1) Check your swim platform brackets:

Are they loose?

If not, you will still want to check them. Here's how you do it.

Make sure the water is drained out of the boat and "dry".

Go into the trunk and remove the screws holding on back panel that faces the water (often times that is where the transom shower pump is mounted).

Pull the panel back (I'm not sure on the Sunsetter, but you likely won't be able to remove the panel completely, so just fold it down and out of the way).

Once you pull that panel back you can poke your hand down into the space between the transom and the gas tank (it's tight and you won't be able to see anything, or anything well).

There are two bolts that attach the swim platform brackets from the outside of the boat, pass through the transom, and are secured with an aluminum back plate, washer, and nylock nut.

Put the boat in the water and check and see if water starts to come in from that point. If it is, odds are the sealant between the brackets, bolt holes and transom is bad and water is entering the hull from there.

Pull the boat back out of the water, and drain the water out.

Carefully remove the nut, washer and backing plate from the inside. If you drop that hardware, they're basically gone (unless you want to remove the rear seat and gas tank, which you don't).

Once the hardware and brackets are removed, clear out the old sealant from the bolt holes as best as possible, clean the mating surfaces on the exterior of the boat and buy yourself use a good removable silicone sealant (I've used DAP silicone sealant, like what you'd use in a bathroom).

Put a good layer of sealant where the brackets attach and the bolt hole.

This next part is best as a two person job: First, put the bottom bolt through the bracket and transom and replace the backing plate and washer and tighten the nylock nut with a box/open end wrench as someone else holds the bolt from the outside with a ratchet. I've found the nut needs to be tightened from the inside so you don't ruin the seal you just made with the sealant and torque the bracket out of position.

Once you get the bottom bolt/nut assembly on there, on there repeat the process for the top bolt/nut.

2) If you have a transom shower, check the connections.

Since the back panel has already been removed to check the swim platform brackets, it's super simple to see if the shower fittings/hoses are leaking. Water can be coming from there, as well. 

The fittings are plastic and they crack over time -- especially if the boat wasn't winterized properly and subjected to below freezing weather.

With the boat in the water, start the engine and see if you have water coming from any of those locations.

2 hours ago, WillSki said:

2) If you have a transom shower, check the connections.

Since the back panel has already been removed to check the swim platform brackets, it's super simple to see if the shower fittings/hoses are leaking. Water can be coming from there, as well. 

The fittings are plastic and they crack over time -- especially if the boat wasn't winterized properly and subjected to below freezing weather.

With the boat in the water, start the engine and see if you have water coming from any of those locations.

I had a leaking filter on my shower that was a mystery for a while.  It happens.