Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excessive noise and jolts coming from Dorsey trailer tongue

Norm02

Hey everyone,

Two summers ago I bought a 2005 Malibu V Ride from my local Malibu dealer and my trailer is a Dorsey (same vintage as my boat) which is equipped with impact brakes. Last weekend, I noticed that the impacts from the tongue moving in & out during gentle braking and accelerating have become more harsh than they used to be.  

I have not checked the fluid level in the master cylinder so I’m not sure if that could be the reason why I’m feeling the tongue slip more than usual or if I’ve accidentally pulled a lever that would allow the tongue to move in and out more freely.  Any thoughts?

Edited by Norm02

Could be all sorts of things.  Start from the truck and work your way back

1) Is the receiver in your truck a piece of crap from auto zone that moves back and forth and side to side? - This is the most common cause of noise and bumping

2) If you have a folding tongue on the trailer - grab it and see how much side to side and up and down you get at the hinge

3) Your surge coupler - are the slider pins worn?  Can you lift up down/side to side on the coupler?

4) How much the surge coupler moves.  Get a friend, hook the truck to the trailer and block the trailer wheels front and back.  Pull forward to full extension and back up to full compression

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Could be all sorts of things.  Start from the truck and work your way back

1) Is the receiver in your truck a piece of crap from auto zone that moves back and forth and side to side? - This is the most common cause of noise and bumping

2) If you have a folding tongue on the trailer - grab it and see how much side to side and up and down you get at the hinge

3) Your surge coupler - are the slider pins worn?  Can you lift up down/side to side on the coupler?

4) How much the surge coupler moves.  Get a friend, hook the truck to the trailer and block the trailer wheels front and back.  Pull forward to full extension and back up to full compression

1) Not the hitch.  I’m using the same B&W Stow & Go (Even has a foam insert to ensure a tighter than usual fit) that I’ve had since before banging got worse.

2) No side-side moment and very little up & down.  The same amount it’s had since the first day I’ve owned it.

3) I’ll have to check the slider pins

4) Surge coupler moves at least 1.5”-2” 

Not sure what brake actuator is on the Dorsey trailer, but my boatmate uses UFP and has a shock absorber.  When the shock absorber goes out it makes the impact clunk during stopping and starting.

Also check the amount of play under the ball coupler. Should be a large nut that can be adjusted so the ball clamp is nether to tight or in your case to loose.

• 2 weeks later...