Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 Malibu Wakesetter surf gates failure

I recently bought a 2014 Malibu Wakesetter, when I try to deploy surf gates nothing happens. I have read many threads and have ckd all fuses and changed relay switch in back of boat. It has power to relay and switch. Nearest dealer is 3 hrs away. Any suggestions?  Need help in lower Alabama 

Not sure exactly how to check but if the actuators are bad or leaked water into the housing it could cause a failure. Our original power wedge had that happen which caused it to move. 

first go into your control/setup menu and run SG calibration and listen to hear both actuators run,  then do SG service and see if both gates open, , hit finish and both gates should close,  if these both work, problem solved, if not try both again

if this fails then get an old house extension cord and cut off ends creating a battery jumper.  connect ends straight to battery keeping other ends taped until ready to use 

Find the waterproof plugs in the upper left corner of transom engine area above the surfgate control box labeled right and left surfgate, unplug them and jump the gate actuators with your jumper, switch the wires for reverse polarity  snd it should do the opposite movement action snd you now know if actuators are good or bad

if both good in both directions, unscrew the control box from transom, unscrew hex head bolt on cap of box with 1/4 “ open end wrench and pull cap abd inspect for corrosion

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, Chad1971 said:

I recently bought a 2014 Malibu Wakesetter, when I try to deploy surf gates nothing happens. I have read many threads and have ckd all fuses and changed relay switch in back of boat. It has power to relay and switch. Nearest dealer is 3 hrs away. Any suggestions?  Need help in lower Alabama 

and when you say “deploy”, was boat moving 7 mph, if not they wont deploy 

lower Louisiana here and i just went through a SG retraction error i solved as above 

Edited by granddaddy55

I have done the calibration and service and go above 7 mph.  I do not here any actuators trying to move.  I have not tried the wire test yet. I’m heading back to lake tomorrow. I’ll try that. There is a large Exhaust Pipe goin across the back making SG box hard to get to.  I’m guessing that has to be taking off to get to SG box?

Edited by Chad1971

easier than creating an extension cord for testing to the boat battery--just take a rechargable battery out of a 12v power tool and tap the leads on the SG to the metal contacts of the power tool battery.

4 hours ago, jtryon said:

easier than creating an extension cord for testing to the boat battery--just take a rechargable battery out of a 12v power tool and tap the leads on the SG to the metal contacts of the power tool battery.

your plugging into the female so  you need a jumper of some kind

4 hours ago, Chad1971 said:

I have done the calibration and service and go above 7 mph.  I do not here any actuators trying to move.  I have not tried the wire test yet. I’m heading back to lake tomorrow. I’ll try that. There is a large Exhaust Pipe goin across the back making SG box hard to get to.  I’m guessing that has to be taking off to get to SG box?

no, just a short star screwdriver snd working by feel on the lower screws, factory only put in 1 of my bottom two unless it fell out previously 

though my ‘14 a20 may be an easier reach, but just like the johnson pump impeller, some times you reach down to where it is but cant really see once your tool engages and you are turning it 

Edited by granddaddy55
4 hours ago, Chad1971 said:

do you even hear the internal screws turning during calibration? it doesn't move on calibration unless gate is stuck out 

Just had the same problem on mine after a software update from the dealer.  I re-calibrated the gates using the Maliview screen and both gates worked.  If yours will not calibrate and you cant hear the actuators turning on, I would assume your actuators are bad.  I replaced both of mine a few years ago.  They were super easy to replace.  I did clean my old ones out, put new seals in and put grease in them and they work perfect again.  I leave them in the boat for spares.  

2 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

Just had the same problem on mine after a software update from the dealer.  I re-calibrated the gates using the Maliview screen and both gates worked.  If yours will not calibrate and you cant hear the actuators turning on, I would assume your actuators are bad.  I replaced both of mine a few years ago.  They were super easy to replace.  I did clean my old ones out, put new seals in and put grease in them and they work perfect again.  I leave them in the boat for spares.  

if they work by jumping them you dont have to replace them

1 minute ago, granddaddy55 said:

if they work by jumping them you dont have to replace them

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that.  I also jumped mine and they didn't work when I jumped them.  

• Like 1

Ok update....  jump wire to actuators and they deployed and with reverse polarity they came back in.  Took SG control box off Transom and found no corrosion.. Took box apart and mother board looked fine.  Pins looked fine. Meter shows power to wires goin to control box.  So I’m thinking Software update??

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I went thru a month of hell. But I raised hell and they sent me a new control box.  Just replaced it and guess what it worked!!!  Just Bought my 2014 malibu vlx 2 months ago. Dealership is 3 hrs away and there booked till sept. So I started with basics fuses relay etc finally realized it must be control box or software update. @granddaddy55helped me with cking everything on this thread. Actuators corrosion etc.  I’m just glad Lenco is helping everyone. 

Chad Chandler