Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buy now or wait

Jdubb16

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

99-06 was Malibu's high water mark IMO in terms of innovation and long-term quality.  Most everything is fixable by an average joe and there's not a ton of stuff to go wrong on them.  They look much better than anything produced in the last 8 years, and can do most things 80% as well or better with proper setup (though you lose more storage, and don't have 227 cup holders).  

This is exactly how I feel.  I know what I would replace it with if my next boat budget was increasing $150k - $250k.  But to spend another $40k-50k for an "updated" version of the same boat seems pretty damn silly.  The only feature I would LOVE to have is surfgate but hard to justify another few years of payments for that upgrade.  

Like I said, though -- ask me tomorrow -- my mind will have probably changed.

6 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

This is exactly how I feel.  I know what I would replace it with if my next boat budget was increasing $150k - $250k.  But to spend another $40k-50k for an "updated" version of the same boat seems pretty damn silly.  The only feature I would LOVE to have is surfgate but hard to justify another few years of payments for that upgrade.  

Like I said, though -- ask me tomorrow -- my mind will have probably changed.

GSA or Archergate that thing for the cost of an extra set of Rev10s on a 2021... :)

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

99-06 was Malibu's high water mark IMO in terms of innovation and long-term quality.  Most everything is fixable by an average joe and there's not a ton of stuff to go wrong on them.  They look much better than anything produced in the last 8 years, and can do most things 80% as well or better with proper setup (though you lose more storage, and don't have 227 cup holders).  New boats are awesome, don't get me wrong.  I'm a total tech head.  But it sounds like you love the boat you have if the idea of someone else driving away with it for more than its value terrifies you.  :)

I came to a similar conclusion recently.  I listed my '97 VLX for an embarrassingly high price and actually sold it in early June!  I never intended for it to actually sell, since I was listing it for $9,900 more than I paid for it in 2010!  I could fix just about anything on that boat and I usually enjoyed doing it.  

Anyways, I started my search for a new Malibu.  Originally I wanted either an '08+ LSV or an '09+ VLX.  After doing some research, I started getting gun shy.  I learned about how often the Malivue touchscreens needed replacement.  I just didn't want to have to replace a $2k+ part every few years. 

That meant the only boat in my original search that fit the bill was an 2008 23 LSV, since the Malivue came out in 2009.  Luckily, I that is exactly what I found.  I was able to quickly jump on one that listed for a great price.  I really could not be happier!  The touchscreens look really cool, but I keep my boats for at least 10 years.  

Edited by Bu hoo
18 minutes ago, Bu hoo said:

I came to a similar conclusion recently.  I listed my '97 VLX for an embarrassingly high price and actually sold it in early June!  I never intended for it to actually sell, since I was listing it for $9,900 more than I paid for it in 2010!  I could fix just about anything on that boat and I usually enjoyed doing it.  

Anyways, I started my search for a new Malibu.  Originally I wanted either an '08+ LSV or an '09+ VLX.  After doing some research, I started getting gun shy.  I learned about how often the Malivue touchscreens needed replacement.  I just didn't want to have to replace a $2k+ part every few years. 

That meant the only boat in my original search that fit the bill was an 2008 23 LSV, since the Malivue came out in 2009.  Luckily, I that is exactly what I found.  I was able to quickly jump on one that listed for a great price.  I really could not be happier!  The touchscreens look really cool, but I keep my boats for at least 10 years.  

2008 is a great boat, so congrats! Same hull through 2013, and mine was rock solid for almost 4 years. Thought I‘d scored breaking even when I sold it but now it’s worth even more 3 years after selling it, so the buyer has done even better.

7 hours ago, Bu hoo said:

Weren’t most the issues with the 2011-2014 screens with MTC?  I know the 09-10s has some issues early and a lot were replaced under warranty but  I thought they weren’t as bad as the MTC which are still giving owners problem and they are back ordered too.  

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong...

1 hour ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Weren’t most the issues with the 2011-2014 screens with MTC?  I know the 09-10s has some issues early and a lot were replaced under warranty but  I thought they weren’t as bad as the MTC which are still giving owners problem and they are back ordered too.  

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong...

Malivue screens seem to be holding up a bit better but they do fail too.  They're expensive also, even though they're not touch-screen.

Screens... IDK... how many people still have working 2010 model iPads, motorola Xooms, etc?

16 hours ago, jaciche said:

I can't believe I saw an 03 VLX for sale in Texas last weekend for 45k. Here's one for 42k with a nice stereo:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Malibu-VLX-Wakesetter-Surf-Wakeboard-for-sale-Denton-Texas-112274.aspx

We go round and round about upgrading to a newer boat. My gut tells me to keep our current boat. Keep it simple stupid

I have no interest in selling my boat now...but if some sucker wants to give me that kind of money (I saw the other one as well...my boat has a lot more upgrades than either), I'll take their money and miss out on the remainder of the boating season.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:56 PM, RedWakesetterVLX said:

In this market I think you could get over 45k for it.  I following this era close and it’s pretty crazy right now.  

Buddy just sold an 06 Centurion Avalanche with 500 hours for $39K. So $45K seems totally reasonable

• Like 1
On 7/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, UWSkier said:

99-06 was Malibu's high water mark IMO in terms of innovation 

I feel like the innovation of Surfgate, Surfband and the new tech is the high water mark for innovation.   Now reliability that is probably true

• Like 2

Continuing to read this thread has be thinking that even with an 05 with 1500 hours I should be insuring for more than 35k... :(

Anyone have insight on how and why the economy appears so strong.  Boats are basically sold out and selling at records highs and numbers.  My dad is an RV guy and he says it is the same with RV's.  Car sales are through the roof.  I own a second home in a vacation community with prices from $400K-1M. They sold 6 lots/homes in all of 2019, they sold 7 over the Memorial Day weekend and have sold 30 so far this year over, 2x their previous record. Finally, a good friend of mine has been the mortgage industry for 20 years and June 2020 was his best month ever!  It is crazy!  Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Anyone have insight on how and why the economy appears so strong.  Boats are basically sold out and selling at records highs and numbers.  My dad is an RV guy and he says it is the same with RV's.  Car sales are through the roof.  I own a second home in a vacation community with prices from $400K-1M. They sold 6 lots/homes in all of 2019, they sold 7 over the Memorial Day weekend and have sold 30 so far this year over, 2x their previous record. Finally, a good friend of mine has been the mortgage industry for 20 years and June 2020 was his best month ever!  It is crazy!  Thoughts?

hotels are closed and flying is a touchy subject. folks are investing in leisure activities that they have more control over.  plus the government is putting thousands of dollars in people's accounts, apparently with more to come.  that is a healthy down payment. 

Not to get political, but any economic slump we are in now is purely artificial.  It will be suppressed until the 2nd week of Novemeber.

• Like 3

Zero travel to Europe. Very limited travel otherwise. People that have money have extra money from lack of going out etc.

Plus the stimulus checks and PPP loans helped as well. 

Boating is a great outdoor activity you can do with no or limited interaction with others! 

1 hour ago, Chappy said:

Boats are basically sold out and selling at records highs and numbers.  My dad is an RV guy and he says it is the same with RV's.  Car sales are through the roof.  

The above reasons are plausible contributors, but also new production across these industries was shut down for almost a quarter which cut into both new inventory and used inventory because trade ins were also down based on shortage of new vehicles.   Even now, there are supply chain and output issues.  The inventory shortage also sparked buyers to snap things up before the inventory dries up.  Like toilet paper.  

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

The above reasons are plausible contributors, but also new production across these industries was shut down for almost a quarter which cut into both new inventory and used inventory because trade ins were also down based on shortage of new vehicles.   Even now, there are supply chain and output issues.  The inventory shortage also sparked buyers to snap things up before the inventory dries up.  Like toilet paper.  

Most production was shut for ~3 weeks, so that takes a small amount out of production. I’ve lost track though of how many friends have called me about buying their first boat in the last 2 months. All but one has a boat now, generally new ones.

Same folks who shook their head and said “I could never put that much $ into a new boat.”

24 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Car sales are in the crapper. The rest all makes sense. Travel is limited with no predictability as to when things will reopen. I’ve talked to lots of people that have gone to an RV to replace their trips to Hawaii or cruises, etc. we used to spend two weeks on Maui every year. Since our boat just sold, I’m torn right now with whether to order a ‘21 or book a couple big trips while everything is relatively cheap. 

3 hours ago, Chappy said:

I own a second home in a vacation community with prices from $400K-1M. They sold 6 lots/homes in all of 2019, they sold 7 over the Memorial Day weekend and have sold 30 so far this year over, 2x their previous record.

Must be referring to Arizona(??).  Its out of control, everyone is moving here from California, Washington, Illinois, etc.  My wife sells high end real estate, and its been an incredible 6 months here.  Also, most people buying "higher end" real estate are paying cash. 

25 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Overall home sales are way down. Possibly worst in 40 years?  Boat sales and such are way up. Almost 20 million unemployed. 

Steve B.

Depends where you live. Neighbor just sold their house for 30k over asking price and had multiple offers. There’s only about a 30 day supply of inventory here. Lot of tech jobs here though so YMMV. I can imagine anywhere that relies heavily on tourism, manufacturing, or farming is getting crushed. Too bad because I saw the average cost of a 30 year mortgage is down to 3.08% (last weeks data). 

YOLO sounds about right. People still have credit but aren't sure for how long..... So they are smoking 'em while they got 'em.

35% of people didn't pay their rent/mortgage for June. Do you know how incredible that is?

53 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

YOLO sounds about right. People still have credit but aren't sure for how long..... So they are smoking 'em while they got 'em.

35% of people didn't pay their rent/mortgage for June. Do you know how incredible that is?

They took their mortgage payment money and put it towards their down payment on a new Malibu :-O

4 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Overall home sales are way down. Possibly worst in 40 years?  Boat sales and such are way up. Almost 20 million unemployed. 

Steve B.

Market is still hot here... things sell within days with multiple offers and bidding wars.  I would not want to be in the market for a new home around here right now.  I also tagged (on Redfin) 10 different homes on the lake/river over in northern idaho a week ago while I was there... ALL ten of them sold this week... absolutely crazy.  Prices ranged from $1.3-$2.5m. That's just nuts.

5 hours ago, mofaster said:

Must be referring to Arizona(??).  Its out of control, everyone is moving here from California, Washington, Illinois, etc.  My wife sells high end real estate, and its been an incredible 6 months here.  Also, most people buying "higher end" real estate are paying cash. 

My mom and sister sale high end real estate (mostly golf course homes) in Scottsdale and they said it is just nuts. They usually pretty much take the summer off (no one comes to buy a vacation home in AZ in the summer).. but this year they are working 7 days a week.