Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buy now or wait

Jdubb16

16 hours ago, Fffrank said:

I don't think any Malibus had ladders before the swim step was introduced in.... 19?

I know of a 17 23LSV with a ladder. I believe was factory. 

Edited by Sparky450
4 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I know of a 17 23LSV with a ladder. I believe was factory. 

I believe the factory ladder has been an option for 10+ years.

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

In the words of the Anchorman...That escalated quickly!  I sold my boat within 48 hours of listing it.  I came down very little, hadn't even had it fully detailed to my standards, and had to concede due to a few warts, but still came down very little from my asking price.  

I had mixed emotions about putting it up for sale, it has been an awesome boat.  I had multiple calls, one fellow who just needed to get financing in order, and the guy that bought it made a wire transfer on the spot.  He had farted around a few days with 2 other boats he was looking at and lost them both.  So he called me in the morning and took it home that evening.  I am banking on the boat market getting back to some element of sanity within the next month or so.  With my luck it will just get worse and I would pay more for a comparable boat.  I am not going to go boatless, but think July without a boat will be OK.  September will not be OK.   If the price is right, a new Axis A24 might fit the bill.  

Congrats on the quick sale! That was too easy.

• Like 1

I finally sold my 19 22 lsv, for a little less than asking price! Nice family from Oregon . Was gonna wait, but could not stand not having a boat. My hip was replaced a month ago, so no surfing for a month. Anyhow bought a 2020 23 lsv, amazing how much better the quality control is this year. Not one blemish or crappy stitching point in the boat. I think these guys are getting really dialed now!

TRR- congrats on the sale, sweet boat.  hopefully I am in the same boat. Have had a ton of interest, but due to work and the 4th weekend have not been able to show it to anyone.  Got a couple solid people that are close to me that could seal the deal with a test drive.  Then the search will be on in a couple months hoping the market flips

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Leftlane said:

I believe it - I have several friends in Texas trying to find a boat and have resorted to buying out of state and having it shipped in.  Crazy times - congrats on yours!

Even pre-covid in 2016 when I bought mine, I saved a TON by buying in January and then having it shipped cross country. Surprisingly easy.

During Covid, I sold my old pontoon boat last week in about 2 hours flat. 

Does anyone else have any predictions about what the market will do?  Typically, boat sales drop after July 4, right?  That should allow some rebalancing of inventory as the factory tries to catch up?  Any of you folks who work at dealerships have any insight?  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

Does anyone else have any predictions about what the market will do?  Typically, boat sales drop after July 4, right?  That should allow some rebalancing of inventory as the factory tries to catch up?  Any of you folks who work at dealerships have any insight?  

No real predictions here, since my friends usually do well by doing the opposite of what I predict in the stock market, so YMMV.

Around here boat sales generally stay strong through August and the late June-August period is typically one of my dealer's strongest sales periods, second only to boat show season. Even early September is always surprisingly strong here. Given the scarcity of available boats right now compared to prior years, and lack of many youth sports into the early fall for some areas, I don't see anything flipping in this market for awhile.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

It’s anyone’s guess really. I don’t think anyone predicted the insane amount of sales that are happening right now. 

im taking my chances and using my 18 through July and listing In August hoping the market is still strong for used sales. 

3 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

There are still supply chain issues.  Even though the factories are open, that doesn't mean they have a regular supply of all the parts they need.  And demand is significantly outstripping supply, at least in our area.  My local source says there is little on the lots and all the new boats coming from the factory getting dropped off at the dealership are pretty much spoken for across a broad range of boats (not just inboards).  I also talked to an RV dealer last week about an insurance claim I had and he said the same thing about RVs; good luck getting parts or a good deal on a unit.  He said they had record sales for June, but now inventory is very low and parts to fix things are hard to come by in a timely fashion.  Crazy times.   

Edited by jjackkrash

...So, since we are here, in this crazy place, want to dip my toe in this theme.  Let me ask your opinions on what I might be able to sell my boat for, following TallRedRider theme.  Not for sale, but thinking about it.

• 2005 23 LSV - Mint condition
  • 218 Hours
  • New ETX manifolds, starter, fresh tune (plugs, cap, rotar, wires)
  • ACME prop (1235)
  • 2 amps (1000w)
  • 4 Tower speakers (with custom speaker covers), 2 lounge speakers
  • 12" sub
  • dual Optima batteries (one dedicated to amps)
  • Perfect Pass
  • Front LED light bar (mounted on tower)
  • Blue LED's mounted under tower
  • G3 Tower Mirror
  • Sirius Satellite 
  • Bluetooth Kenwood head unit and rear mounted remote control
  • ALWAYS GARAGED (temperature controlled)
  • boat cover

She purrs like a kitten!!

Thanks

IMG_0368.JPG

Edited by mofaster
20 minutes ago, mofaster said:

...So, since we are here, in this crazy place, want to dip my toe in this theme.  Let me ask your opinions on what I might be able to sell my boat for, following TallRedRider theme.  Not for sale, but thinking about it.

• 218 Hours
  • ACME prop (1235)
  • 2 amps (1000w)
  • 12" sub
  • Perfect Pass
  • G3 Tower Mirror
  • Sirius Satellite 
  • boat cover

Thanks

IMG_0368.JPG

I paid $38k for a 2006 23LSV 3 years ago.  yours has fewer hours than the one I bought.  yours has more stereo than mine but I dont think the stereo setup moves the needle on resale values (at least it doesnt for me).  if you were to sell today, with most of summer still to come,  I think you could get $42k.  interested to see what others think. 

I have my 2007 for sale at $46,500 and have had a lot of interest and a few people coming to look this weekend.  Everyone said it was priced right for this market.  With that said, you should be able to get $42.

you could post it on here and FB Marketplace and just see.  FB has gotten me the best results

I think that 40K for that one is on the money.  Does it have ballast?  42K if it has a good functional ballast system.  

I am beginning to think I sold too soon, but time will tell.  

And I think that although there were supply chain issues when everything shut down due to COVID, I bet most shortages are now a reflection of increased demand.  Sound fair?  

Edited by TallRedRider
On 6/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Wait.  Deals are awful right now - COVID seems to had made everyone want to go out and buy a boat.  Good time to sell, bad time to buy.

Yes and no.  There are deals that pop up because many people don’t realize how crazy the boat market is right now, but they don’t last long.  I just spent the last month extremely focused on the usual sites.  The good boats sell within an hour or two.  I saw a boat sell in 9 minutes on Facebook.  I jumped on my boat within a couple minutes after being posted on OnlyInboards.  It’s possible to find a good deal right now, but it can be exhausting to constantly refresh the websites.  I didn’t want to miss a summer on the boat with my kids, so it was worth it.  It’s just a matter of how much effort you are willing to put into the search.

A couple of tips if you decide to search.  First, forget looking at a dealership.  Second, be ready with cash.  Third, expand your search radius.  I had to drive 7.5 hours to pick up my boat.  There just isn’t enough inventory right now.  I saw 2-3 good deals a week on boats in my criteria. I was too slow on them, until I wasn’t.

Edited by Bu hoo
5 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I think that 40K for that one is on the money.  Does it have ballast?  42K if it has a good functional ballast system.  

I am beginning to think I sold too soon, but time will tell.  

And I think that although there were supply chain issues when everything shut down due to COVID, I bet most shortages are now a reflection of increased demand.  Sound fair?  

Yup, perfectly working ballast system....

23 hours ago, mofaster said:

• 218 Hours
  • ACME prop (1235)
  • 2 amps (1000w)
  • 12" sub
  • Perfect Pass
  • G3 Tower Mirror
  • Sirius Satellite 
  • boat cover

Thanks

IMG_0368.JPG

In this market I think you could get over 45k for it.  I following this era close and it’s pretty crazy right now.  

• Like 2

I had a similar experience to TRR. Listed my boat Sunday night, multiple emails and texts when I woke up Monday. Someone from out of state put down a non refundable deposit to hold it and is having funds wired to my bank and taking delivery tomorrow.

In my experience, the onlyinboards ad was a waste of money. I got 4x the hits from my craigslist ad and that’s what sold it. The 3 leads I received from oib were all largely time wasters. 

2 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

In this market I think you could get over 45k for it.  I following this era close and it’s pretty crazy right now.  

In May of this year I declared if someone offered me $40k for my 2004 I'd be a donkey not to take it. That number is now $45k and I still am terrified I might actually get that offer. It would be hard to pass up but I'm not completely sold on moving to a 2013+ (new payment, new stereo build, new "dialing in" process.) My boat is currently perfect and I'm dragging my feet listing it for sale since we have been using it every day. 

On 7/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, Jdubb16 said:

Not sure if the platform with the ladder option is different than the one without.  If not, not a deal breaker.

Not sure if other dealers do the same, but Waterski America here in DFW installs aftermarket telescoping ladders underneath the regular platform. Gives you a more seamless look from the top and is cheaper.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:19 PM, Fffrank said:

In May of this year I declared if someone offered me $40k for my 2004 I'd be a donkey not to take it. That number is now $45k and I still am terrified I might actually get that offer. It would be hard to pass up but I'm not completely sold on moving to a 2013+ (new payment, new stereo build, new "dialing in" process.) My boat is currently perfect and I'm dragging my feet listing it for sale since we have been using it every day. 

99-06 was Malibu's high water mark IMO in terms of innovation and long-term quality.  Most everything is fixable by an average joe and there's not a ton of stuff to go wrong on them.  They look much better than anything produced in the last 8 years, and can do most things 80% as well or better with proper setup (though you lose more storage, and don't have 227 cup holders).  New boats are awesome, don't get me wrong.  I'm a total tech head.  But it sounds like you love the boat you have if the idea of someone else driving away with it for more than its value terrifies you.  :)

• Like 3

I can't believe I saw an 03 VLX for sale in Texas last weekend for 45k. Here's one for 42k with a nice stereo:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Malibu-VLX-Wakesetter-Surf-Wakeboard-for-sale-Denton-Texas-112274.aspx

We go round and round about upgrading to a newer boat. My gut tells me to keep our current boat. Keep it simple stupid

Edited by jaciche