Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buy now or wait

Jdubb16

So it looks like my 2007 23LSV may be sold, should know Thursday. The question I have is this, we are looking for. 2016-2018 23 LSV. We have not found any we are in love with, but have a few we liked.  We have a second boat to enjoy, so I don’t have to buy.  Should I wait until the end of the season/fall/winter. Normally that is a great time to buy, but I was not sure if this year is going to be different with the COVID shutdowns and not as many boats out there

what are your thoughts?

Buying a boat, RV, or anything Can-Am makes is the new Disney or Hawaiian vacation this year, so deals have been cancelled until further notice. Who knows what fall/winter will bring but right now few sellers will have a reason to give big discounts. 

On the other hand, you may find somebody who’s just lost a job and panicked without realizing they just need to post their toy for sale to move it, so it never hurts to keep looking.

• Like 2

Dealers don't even hardly have boats to sell right now anyway, so the deals will be terrible.  I know 5 friends who are looking and can't find anything used and very little new, and definitely nothing at decent prices.

Same question from me that we have been asking for 6 months. We are pulling the trigger and picking one up today, because as NWBU mentioned above, everything else is going to be a crap shoot for entertainment. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Yes, it's a tight market, but there are deals to be had.  I was perusing OIB this morning and found this very clean 2019 23 LSV... priced at only $96K.  You rarely see the 2018 + 23's under $100K.  

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2019-Malibu-23-LSV-Like-new-M5di-for-sale-Lake-Anna-VA-Virginia-101652.aspx

Dayum that's a good looking boat.  Someone is gonna be really happy.

Agreed that you may stumble into a distressed sale and get a deal.  

in general, I would not buy during the boating season.  prices are higher because buyers are competing for available inventory, new and used.  wait till October and find somebody who does not want to make payments and find storage for thier toy over the winter. the will be motivated to sell and you will find your best deal.  I have also heard of great buys at boat shows but have never gone that route.

Keep in mind lots of people are in the same boat. Deals will not last. so when you do see a boat you’re interested in (that is priced right) be prepared to move quick. Friend just sold his offshore boat within 48 hrs of listing and he had 5 people in line if the first guy passed. 

• Like 3

Rates are low, too.  Keep that in mind for a driving force.  May pay a bit more now but your rate may be better.  Pay less later and your rate may be higher.

4 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I am in the mood to sell my 25 LSV.   It will be in the classifieds in a day or two.  I might be able to get 130K for it right now.  If not, I am not disappointed to keep it by any stretch.  I then suspect I can buy it back in October for 105K, assuming my crystal ball works properly.   

In the mood to sell because your lake is insane with every yahoo who can afford something that floats showing up?  Or is that just me projecting my own frustrations?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

In the mood to sell because your lake is insane with every yahoo who can afford something that floats showing up?  Or is that just me projecting my own frustrations?

Absolutely.  My local Heyday dealer is making a killing right now.  And I am considering adding a pool and it would be nice to not be in debt for it.  

I hope not to divert entirely, but one lost story in the COVID crisis is the healthcare system itself.  Intermountain Healthcare (the company I work for) hemorrhaged 425 million dollars in the last several months.  That translates to a paycut for me.  I can keep the boat if I want, but my money is finite, and it a bit more finite than it used to be.  

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I can keep the boat if I want, but my money is finite, and it a bit more finite than it used to be.  

That too.  It's a funny asset to have $$$ locked up in.

22 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Wait.  Deals are awful right now - COVID seems to had made everyone want to go out and buy a boat.  Good time to sell, bad time to buy.

Completely agree, buddy of mine just sold 2006 Centurion Avalanche with 400+ hours on it for $38K!!!

I wonder if Tommy's is kicking themselves for that crazy closeout sale they did in March.  Wish I had dropped in, maybe just to resell now.  My reasonable self told myself that my 13' A22 was just fine and I didn't need anything else.  I had a new 19' MXZ22 priced out just under 100k :cry:

9 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I am in the mood to sell my 25 LSV.   It will be in the classifieds in a day or two.  I might be able to get 130K for it right now.  If not, I am not disappointed to keep it by any stretch.  I then suspect I can buy it back in October for 105K, assuming my crystal ball works properly.   

I'm in the same frame of mind you are. Listing the boat for stupid money after the 4th just in case someone wants it more than i do. The replacement will come this winter when all the "new" boat owners are sick of storing them or ready to travel again.

• Like 1

Inventory is low and might stay low especially if there are more supply-chain interruptions.  I made two big purchases (Fifth Wheel and HD Truck) just before the crazy started and was kicking myself thinking the prices were going to drop in the basement, and that just didn't happen--the opposite in fact.  It is just hard to guess where prices on relatively spendy boats are going to be in the short run.  

Can I get your opinion on the price of this one, 2016 23 LSV, 450 HP, 300 hours for $84,500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2722561964646791/

he has sent the build sheet and the items it is missing that we want, but could add later are surfpipe, swim platform ladder, PNP bags although build sheet says it is plumbed for them

1 pair Rev. 8, not sure if it has a sub. https://flic.kr/p/2jh6CSz

Edited by Jdubb16
Added build sheet

Is anyone else bothered by the picture that shows this on the trailer with the power wedge in the deployed position?  Also, the seller said these boats don’t come with ladders as the platform is so low to the water and I know that is not correct. Getting concerned about their knowledge and subsequently how well they took care of the boat