Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Surfgate Ideas?

Zippymbr

I have been reading all the surfgate threads over the last few days and need some opinions.  I saw this kit and thought it would be ideal as all I would need is to make bigger gate tabs and shape them for my application.  https://www.boatid.com/lenco/9-l-x-12-w-kit-with-double-rocker-switch-mpn-15101-104.html?view=775159&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoZO6-vyn6gIVAdbACh3A_AKiEAsYAyABEgJP7PD_BwE

What are your thoughts?

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My guess is that there is not enough travel in the cylinders.  BICBW

That was one of my concerns as well, there is no description of travel length.  I think the 102 Lenco travel 4.5 inches.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

so 4.25 is the longest throw they make, but the kit I linked to has only a 2.25 inch travel.  These trim tab kits seem like an inexpensive way to make a surf gate.  Yes ?

Edited by Zippymbr
34 minutes ago, Zippymbr said:

so 4.25 is the longest throw they make, but the kit I linked to has only a 2.25 inch travel.  These trim tab kits seem like an inexpensive way to make a surf gate.  Yes ?

@martinarcher  He's the man on this question.

martinarcher

Lenco makes two lengths of actuators that can be used for gates.  As discussed above the 2.25" version isn't very good for these applications because the throw required to get the gate fully out of the water coming off the hull when retracted, yet still extend into the water when a wave is desired makes the 4.25" a better choice.  There are few flavors of the 4.25".  A 102 and 102 HD which both take roughly 6.8 seconds to fully deploy.  The HD version has a stainless end on the ram instead of a glass filled nylon.  Either works fine for gates.  There is also a faster version of the 102 that deploys in roughly half the time.  The trouble with speeding up an actuator is you loose half your torque when you double your speed since the speed is being accomplished by changing the internal gearing.  The loss of torque also causes the actuator to draw quite a bit more current under the same application.  I make control systems that automate the gates and actuators and prefer the standard 102's due to the lower current and higher torque.  Either will work fine but as long as your not set on pulling off a wake transfer in less than 3 seconds the 102's work very well and wake transfers are very possible with them.  :) 

• Like 3

6.4 for the throw but a full 8 seconds for full wave formation, my ‘14 axis is a glacial pace but they are stupid dependable for 900 hours with only one repair for corrosion inside control box cap and zero repairs to the actuators 

9 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

Lenco makes two lengths of actuators that can be used for gates.  As discussed above the 2.25" version isn't very good for these applications because the throw required to get the gate fully out of the water coming off the hull when retracted, yet still extend into the water when a wave is desired makes the 4.25" a better choice.  There are few flavors of the 4.25".  A 102 and 102 HD which both take roughly 6.8 seconds to fully deploy.  The HD version has a stainless end on the ram instead of a glass filled nylon.  Either works fine for gates.  There is also a faster version of the 102 that deploys in roughly half the time.  The trouble with speeding up an actuator is you loose half your torque when you double your speed since the speed is being accomplished by changing the internal gearing.  The loss of torque also causes the actuator to draw quite a bit more current under the same application.  I make control systems that automate the gates and actuators and prefer the standard 102's due to the lower current and higher torque.  Either will work fine but as long as your not set on pulling off a wake transfer in less than 3 seconds the 102's work very well and wake transfers are very possible with them.  :) 

what does it cost to go from the stock OEM slow set up  to the faster set up?

13 hours ago, martinarcher said:

Great info thanks so much!

55 minutes ago, jtryon said:

lenco fast actuators (PN 15129-001) are just under $220/ea here: https://www.marinepartssource.com/4-1-4-stroke-actuator-12-volt-lenco-15129-001

but you have to change the control box as well which tends to be a Malibu only item ?  @martinarcher and can you re-use the existing male gate plug wiring to box as well as the control box female cap?

no software or gauge cluster changes?

martinarcher

I don't know what is entailed on the Malibu upgrade, it would be best to call your dealer.  I make and sell a 3rd party control system.  It is not a Malibu product.

5 hours ago, martinarcher said:

I don't know what is entailed on the Malibu upgrade, it would be best to call your dealer.  I make and sell a 3rd party control system.  It is not a Malibu product.

I sent you a message asking about your controller and the cost 

Thanks

Matt