Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Talk me off the ledge

jb 156

Ok I have been in a Malibu since 2012.  VLX and now my 2017 LSV.  I am looking at boats and am considering jumping to another brand Supra or Centurion.  Looking at the Supra SL or the FI23.  We demoed an SA a few weeks back and I was blown away by the Supra.  I have decided I can spend the money on either boat.  Is the new LSV going to be able to compete?  The Supra comes stock with power tower and all the goodies.  I have yet to demo the Centurion's and know nothing about the local dealer.  I love my Bu dealer they have been awesome, but they are a 2hr+ drive from me.  I know the local Supra dealer and have a good relationship with them and it is only a 50 minute drive to them.  He wants to put me in one of their boats.  

So anyone have any real world reviews of the new LSV.  I've seen the pictures and I am a little underwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong I like the boat but I might have fallen for the bigger surf boat(s). 

Thanks, 

J

i would say demo a new lsv 

i would think that you should get the best boat that fits you. not blown away with the crappy quality that is being put into the malibus, almost like they knew they were making good boats and now they are letting things slip a bit.  i rode in a supra and wasnt really blown away by the wake for surfing,  couldve been the guy who was driving tho. 

was not blown away with the sl wave either, but was impressive the push pretty far back. and the boat itself is awesome.... Centurion appears to have the best out of the box wave but have not ridden one.  Would have a hard time buying one as we had a 98 and it was the biggest pile of poorly made boat.  That said shane stillman is now at centruion and you could see the night/day difference when he got there, and even with his brief stop at supra it was night and day as well. I think the sc was the first model he was a part of.     I think he helped take both companys to a level they hadn't been before 

Edited by bass10a

Did you surf the SA?

The killer for me on Supra's is the port wave. With their setup, the starboard wave seems really good. Nice shape, good power, good size. The port wave, however, seems to be the smallest, flattest, and least powerful of almost any other new wake boat available right now. 

I have rode in a few of the new supra's and have been impressed. Don't know about the centurion since no one around me sells them and the quality of Malibu seems to be slipping. If i was in the market i would also be looking at Supra. 

I was looking at Supra very hard a few months ago and really wasn't even considering Malibu. I had an LSV for 10 years but thought Supra or Moomba was my next boat. Then i started pricing them out, i couldn't even get into a used Supra for what i thought they should cost, maybe due to the current economy.... I tested a leftover 19 Malibu LSV and surprisingly the stock wave was better than i anticipated it being and they were able to get that into a price we were happy with. I was luckily turned down by someone selling a used SL a few days prior for what i ended up paying on the leftover 19 LSV that was basically brand new. I think Supras are great boats but they are asking too much $ IMO..

17 hours ago, jb 156 said:

Ok I have been in a Malibu since 2012.  VLX and now my 2017 LSV.  I am looking at boats and am considering jumping to another brand Supra or Centurion.  Looking at the Supra SL or the FI23.  We demoed an SA a few weeks back and I was blown away by the Supra.  I have decided I can spend the money on either boat.  Is the new LSV going to be able to compete?  The Supra comes stock with power tower and all the goodies.  I have yet to demo the Centurion's and know nothing about the local dealer.  I love my Bu dealer they have been awesome, but they are a 2hr+ drive from me.  I know the local Supra dealer and have a good relationship with them and it is only a 50 minute drive to them.  He wants to put me in one of their boats.  

So anyone have any real world reviews of the new LSV.  I've seen the pictures and I am a little underwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong I like the boat but I might have fallen for the bigger surf boat(s). 

Thanks, 

J

Isn't there a difference between the SA and SL?  The SA and the 23 LSV are in two different price points - correct?  I really like the SA as well.  Never been behind either.  I, like you, like the bigger freeboard.  We ended up moving up from a 21' VLX to a 23 LSV for value, dealer and trade in of my old boat.  

Centurion was a non-starter for us.  We don't like the look.  

10 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

I was looking at Supra very hard a few months ago and really wasn't even considering Malibu. I had an LSV for 10 years but thought Supra or Moomba was my next boat. Then i started pricing them out, i couldn't even get into a used Supra for what i thought they should cost, maybe due to the current economy.... I tested a leftover 19 Malibu LSV and surprisingly the stock wave was better than i anticipated it being and they were able to get that into a price we were happy with. I was luckily turned down by someone selling a used SL a few days prior for what i ended up paying on the leftover 19 LSV that was basically brand new. I think Supras are great boats but they are asking too much $ IMO..

Good minds think alike.  Did the same at last years boat show.  Really like the SA and Southtown has a good reputation.  I was getting the SA at +10 - 15k vs LSV.

I think the 23 LSV surfs as good as anything at the same price point out of the box.  

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Isn't there a difference between the SA and SL?  The SA and the 23 LSV are in two different price points - correct? 

SA is 22.5ft while the SL is 23.5 so neither is a direct competitor to the LSV. They are, like you said both more expensive from what I was seeing. I think smaller numbers are helping Supra right now, there is a demand and they know it. For example, Southtown had a used 19 SA listed at 115k they would not move much on at all, we got out 19 LSV for less $.

• Like 1

I wont be talking you off the ledge - mostly because I have no direct experience with EITHER boat.   I can tell you that we LOVE our 22VLX - not the same boat.   I can tell you that the people I know with the previous gen LSVs love them.    Not the same boat.   I can tell you that I have an acquaintance with a Moomba, and he has struggled to get a wave he likes even heavily weighted.   Not the same boat. 

Really and truly, IMHO, its your money - and if you demo both and like the Supra better, you should buy it!  :-)

If you were in Colorado, (and we were not fighting this stupid virus) I would just say lets meet up and surf both boats just because I like hanging out with other boaters, and checking out the current state of the art.     This summer, I have been arriving to the ramp about the same time as a family with a brand new Centurion.   We have become familiar enough to say hello every week.   We notice him, he notices us.   I've seen his wave, it looks great... he has commented positively on ours as well.   Might just be friendly banter, or it could be truth from two boaters who are getting the best out of the boats we have.  Either way,  my brand loyalty runs as deep as the next purchase.   I could not be happier with our BU, it was the perfect boat for US at the TIME and PLACE that we bought it, for its INTENDED use. 

Good luck with the purchase, happy days ahead no matter what your final decision is!

I have direct experience with all 3 brands. The 2019+ Malibu boats put out an excellent wave, IMO the surfgate re-design made a positive difference and I can feel a difference in the extra "push", wave is also firmer now. You are also getting the GM based engines which IMO is a huge plus, the engine is much quieter than before and they also seem to run at a lower rpm, for sure the trans/v-drive gear noise is much less. I don't know about all the QC issues but certainly Malibu has a known name and when it comes to re-sale that is always a good thing, probably the strongest resale of these 3. Something to be said about pushing a button and you are surfing, surfgate makes that very easy. The biggest downside to me about the Malibu is how bad the rough water ride is, I live on a big lake tho so that is an important piece for me. It does have less draft and for some people thats something that has to be considered

Centurion FI23 is going to put out the strongest stock wave and has the best rough water ride, I own a Centurion and ride behind the FI/RI on regular basis. The PCM power plants are quiet and reliable, I personally love the layout and I like the gelcoat design on the FI boats, if I am honest I think the RI gelcoat design needs an update.... I love the silent stinger plates on those boats and IMO its the most adjustable wave on the market. The potential downside to that is some people dont want to spend any time "dialing their wave", they wanna push a button and go and have no interest in learning about how the dynamics work. Once you spend a few hours on the boat, its super simple to get exactly what you want and be able to adjust from skim to surf style wave....takes me 30 seconds to set up my wave the way I like it. Also tons of set up information on their FB page, its a very helpful group of owners. Centurion has really stepped up in the last few years and resale seems quite strong.

Supra is also deep V hull so good rough water ride, nice boat with a lot of options. Great stock wave for the majority but to get the best surf style wave out of it you need to add some lead. I have friends with the SA and the SE, both run 1000lbs+ lead and the waves are great. I prefer the SL as it has 3500 sub-floor ballast and requires the least lead. My buddy is a pro surfer and got a new SL a few months ago and with 500lbs of lead is getting a banging wave with great push. This is a guy that would run 2000lbs of lead if the boat needed it. Honestly my biggest beef on the Supra's is the Raptor engines, I am not a fan since they are noisy/loud... on my buddy's SA even tho the wave is great with the extra lead, its hard to have normal conversations in the boat cause its loud. IMO the resale would be the weakest on the Supra. To some people this does not matter but the Raptor engine also requires premium fuel, in some areas that may be difficult.

All great boats and it really comes down to personal preferences and which dealer in your area will best support you since any brand boat will have some misc warranty things to work thru when you buy it new. Demo, demo, demo!!

• Like 1

If I were buying a boat today, there really is no question what that would be. An LSV. But a 25 not 23. Sounds like the Centurian and Supra will be closer in price point to a 25 than a 23 as well. 

Im also of the opinion that on a new boat, the dealer is just as important as manufacturer. It shouldn’t be this way, but the reality is you almost certainly will make more than one trip to the dealer for warranty work. How the dealer handles those issues can make or break your purchase. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

The biggest downside to me about the Malibu is how bad the rough water ride is, I live on a big lake tho so that is an important piece for me. It does have less draft and for some people thats something that has to be considered

We have been on the lake for ~2 yrs now.  Started with a 21' VLX.  Should have saw us trying to navigate the main channel in it.....  :lol:

• Like 1

Was looking at the same 3 brands this time last year. Demoed the Supra SL450 (best fit and finish of the bunch), Ri237, and 23LSV. I was coming from a Sanger V215 so i spent a lot of time researching the local dealers and talking to folks that had experience with those brands/dealers. Supra makes a very nice boat with all kinds of goodies,  but of the 3 it had the lamest wave. Ri237 had the most impressive wave, but the fit and finished was lacking ($136k and no hinged seats, WTF!), the LSV was the perfect fit for us. Amazing dealer experience (Larson Marine, Stockton Ca), and the LSV checked the majority of the boxes. Just turned a 100 hours on my 2019, and loving every bit of our decision. Wife and I are already considering jumping up to a 25LSV, or perhaps the 24MXZ. Hell.....maybe a M240. 

Best advice anyone can give you.....is "demo, demo, demo"!!!! 

Not the new LSV but I demo'd all three in 2019 and while Supra has improved they are still not on par with Bu.  The Centurion had the best wave but the Bu was a close 2nd and I preferred the fit and finish of Bu. Next was price, both the Centurion and Supra ended up being very close in price to the Bu. IMO, Surf Gate and Wedge are the deal breakers the trim tab technology the other companies use just doesn't compare to Surf Gate.

Just waiting to demo the Supra's.  If I'm not blown away by the wave then I will either go with a 23 LSV or a 23 MXZ or even an A24.  I care most about the wake but the bells and whistles are nice.  Saw the G23 redesign and it looks great but I'm sure it will come with a hefty price tag.  I know I can get in a 23 LSV for less than the SL.  

I will demo and let you guys know what I come up with.  And the great thing, I still love my 17 23LSV so worst case I just stay in the same boat that I love.

3 minutes ago, jb 156 said:

Just waiting to demo the Supra's.  If I'm not blown away by the wave then I will either go with a 23 LSV or a 23 MXZ or even an A24.  I care most about the wake but the bells and whistles are nice.  Saw the G23 redesign and it looks great but I'm sure it will come with a hefty price tag.  I know I can get in a 23 LSV for less than the SL.  

I will demo and let you guys know what I come up with.  And the great thing, I still love my 17 23LSV so worst case I just stay in the same boat that I love.

I think you will be impressed with the Supra as they have come a long way and they build a great boat with features they go head to head with Malibu.   I also think Supra quality is a bit better as they aren't building quite so many boats a day in the factory plus you get some extras as part of the base price (ie: power tower.)   In the end we still came back to the 23LSV even though in 2019 it was behind the Supra's features, etc.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:29 AM, jb 156 said:

So what did you do?  

On 6/29/2020 at 12:40 PM, oldjeep said:

Question - why is how far away the dealer is a consideration?  Are you really having so many problems that you have to go in frequently?

If paying a premium (new) for a warranty, not being able to conveniently take advantage of the warranty is a major bummer.  2.5 hours away means two wasted days (5 hr round trip to drop off, 5 hr round trip to pick up) for even the most minor of items.

Been there, won't do it again, even though the far-away dealer was great.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

If paying a premium (new) for a warranty, not being able to conveniently take advantage of the warranty is a major bummer.  2.5 hours away means two wasted days (5 hr round trip to drop off, 5 hr round trip to pick up) for even the most minor of items.

Been there, won't do it again, even though the far-away dealer was great.

I just moved, and now am 90 minutes away from my dealer (Tommy's Colorado).   Tommy's has been awesome.   They get that I wasnt buying a boat, I was buying time on the lake.  They have been awesome about turn times, and getting things right the first time. 

One thing that was a major advantage for us was they offer "Tommy Care" for the first three years.   That covers all scheduled maintenance, and winterization/summerization.    Very smart on their part, they established a maintenance "habit" of bringing the boat to them, and establish a relationship with their customers that can (will) last for years.     I have a great relationship with the service manager, he has shown fantastic dedication to getting things right.   We trust each other.   If I tell him something is wrong, he believes me.   If he tells me something is fixed, I can take it to the bank.

Mine being a 3 hour round trip now is probably at the ragged edge (was 2 hour before I moved).   But it is still close enough that I would not consider going anywhere else when I need someone to work on the boat.  5 hours... would give me GREAT pause.  That is obnoxious.

• Like 2