Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Propeller hit rock, now boat won’t drive/move when put in gear

Was out on the lake today and hit a rock going about 10mph. We stopped the boat I jumped into the lake to take a look and found a damaged propeller. We started the boat back up, but when it was put into gear to drive it to the launch, it wouldn’t move. You could hear it engage but it wouldn’t spin the drive shaft. After we got pulled in and on the trailer and took a closer look. It looked like one of the blades took the grunt on the blow, the rubber, fins, drive shaft all look good.  My question is, is there something wrong with the transmission that wouldn’t spin the drive shaft? If not, is it something that I can fix ( I’m somewhat mechanically inclined) or is it best that I leave it up to the professionals?  Any responses would be greatly appreciated! 

Check the flange coupler just inside the hull. You could have sheared a key.  Also check to make sure you didn't just shear the prop key. 

• Like 2

I checked the flange coupler, and I didn’t notice any problems. I also checked the prop and the key is still attached. I’m able to spin the prop by hand in each direction, which spins the shaft and everything in the hull including the coupler. If the flange coupler key was sheared, would I find  remanence of it? Or is it to small?

Thanks for the quick response!

Ok, I just read your last post.  This is a pretty good puzzle. 

I still think you can fix this.   It may take some thinking and some work and some cash, but it is not the end of the world.  We need to see some pictures.

Edited by Bozboat

Ok,great-  I’ll take some pics tomorrow when I have some daylight. Thanks again for the quick responses and willingness to help out! 

Here are a couple pics of the prop. I looked again and nothing that I can see seems out of the ordinary.  There is no flange key anywhere in the motor compartment.  I talked to a couple boat owning friends and they think it’s something in the transmission, being I tried to put it in gear (only forward) and nothing happened. Any thoughts?

Thanks

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ocazJt3BztZiU8a0cu1bNDCw

Tonight I had a chance to take off the prop to get it fixed. And low and behold the key did shear off! H E double hockey 🏒 🏒 yes! So tomorrow when I have a chance I’ll hook it up to fake a lake and put it into forward and reserve in idle speed to see if the shaft spins.  I’m guessing when I spun it by hand after hitting the rock it was still friction tight and that’s why it spun the shaft, or that’s what I’m guessing. Thanks JustGary and Bozboat for chiming in!  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

Tonight I had a chance to take off the prop to get it fixed. And low and behold the key did shear off! H E double hockey 🏒 🏒 yes! So tomorrow when I have a chance I’ll hook it up to fake a lake and put it into forward and reserve in idle speed to see if the shaft spins.  I’m guessing when I spun it by hand after hitting the rock it was still friction tight and that’s why it spun the shaft, or that’s what I’m guessing. Thanks JustGary and Bozboat for chiming in!  

That’s great news. Hopefully sacrificing the prop and the prop key will be enough this time around.

Don't put it in gear out of the water!  There is a bearing on the shaft strut that is lubricated by water.  At least hold a hose on it and limit the time in gear to a few seconds.

4 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Don't put it in gear out of the water!  There is a bearing on the shaft strut that is lubricated by water.  At least hold a hose on it and limit the time in gear to a few seconds.

You can also wet it with a hose and pour a little dish soap on it to keep it from squealing like a baby.

29 minutes ago, justgary said:

You can also wet it with a hose and pour a little dish soap on it to keep it from squealing like a baby.

Just hit it with your purse!  :)

I’ll use water, soap and maybe  the purse too- if this is all I have to do to fix the problem, there should be plenty of weight ($) left in the purse which it might help! 

Again-thanks again! 

On 6/28/2020 at 8:09 PM, Snoopy said:

I checked the flange coupler, and I didn’t notice any problems. I also checked the prop and the key is still attached. I’m able to spin the prop by hand in each direction, which spins the shaft and everything in the hull including the coupler. If the flange coupler key was sheared, would I find  remanence of it? Or is it to small?

Thanks for the quick response!

Just an FYI for next time, or if you still don't go into gear. The key is inside the coupler, being a DD you might be able to see it. However, check to see if the prop shaft is spinning at the coupler. If it is not, the key is sheared there too.

We are back on the LAKE! Ran it all weekend, slalom and Wakesurfing and it ran great. I really like the new prop too-acme 1235. Again a big thanks for everyone that threw their 2 cents on the table, all a big help! 

Cheers!

• Like 2