Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Normal engine temps.

What temps are considered normal?  I notice with my new impeller...the boat is slightly warmer?  Wondering when I decide it is an issue.  2019 23 lsv monsoon 450.  I checked the water intake and it is clear.

25 minutes ago, Texoma LSV said:

In idle after just pulling a wakeboarder mine is around 168. If I turn the engine off it jumps to 174-178. 

Interesting.  So my first impeller kept the boat always at 158-164.  My new one...after we had been sitting in the cove with engine off...I started the boat..and it was 150ish...went up to 174 and I shut the boat off. I jumped in the water  to make sure nothing was on the intake.  Then I restarted and it cooled down...but it is spending more time up around 166-168.  Under load and after surfing.  Yours sounds similar?? Trying to decide if I need to take it back in. We have about 5 hours on this impeller.

37 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

160F

That’s right where mine used to sit.  Now it is hanging around 166-168.  And it shot to 174 realllly quickly after we started the engine after hanging out and swimming for a bit.

15 minutes ago, Learn2surf said:

Interesting.  So my first impeller kept the boat always at 158-164.  My new one...after we had been sitting in the cove with engine off...I started the boat..and it was 150ish...went up to 174 and I shut the boat off. I jumped in the water  to make sure nothing was on the intake.  Then I restarted and it cooled down...but it is spending more time up around 166-168.  Under load and after surfing.  Yours sounds similar?? Trying to decide if I need to take it back in. We have about 5 hours on this impeller.

Not sure why the difference but your new impeller seems is keeping temp. Like mine. I believe the thermostat opens at 167 (at least that’s what it was on my 2011) so it shouldn’t get much hotter than that while running. Possibly your thermostat got stuck closed when it idled up or 174 on a warm start? I wouldn’t worry about it unless temps keep climbing above 180 in idle then you know you have an issue. There is an engine overheat warning too. Not sure when that alerts though. 

My overheat alarm (VIA ECM) comes in at 203. Even that temp. would not hurt your engine.  Boats run 160 to keep exhaust manifold temps. down below 200.  What's your lake temp.?  When my lake is below 60, my engine will not even reach 150.

Edited by electricjohn
13 hours ago, Texoma LSV said:

Not sure why the difference but your new impeller seems is keeping temp. Like mine. I believe the thermostat opens at 167 (at least that’s what it was on my 2011) so it shouldn’t get much hotter than that while running. Possibly your thermostat got stuck closed when it idled up or 174 on a warm start? I wouldn’t worry about it unless temps keep climbing above 180 in idle then you know you have an issue. There is an engine overheat warning too. Not sure when that alerts though. 

Wondering how lake temp affects it?  We have only used our boat since feb. the lake temp has obviously been increasing.  I would say it was in the high 70s yesterday thought I admit I didn’t check. 

5 hours ago, electricjohn said:

My overheat alarm (VIA ECM) comes in at 203. Even that temp. would not hurt your engine.  Boats run 160 to keep exhaust manifold temps. down below 200.  What's your lake temp.?  When my lake is below 60, my engine will not even reach 150.

I think our lake is probably in the high 70s right now.  I’m wondering if the increase in temp of the water is causing a slight increase in operating temp?

14 minutes ago, Learn2surf said:

I think our lake is probably in the high 70s right now.  I’m wondering if the increase in temp of the water is causing a slight increase in operating temp?

The thermostat controls operating temperature.  I have had my boat in 99*F water before, and it still ran 160*F. 

I don't know what the manufacturing tolerance is on thermostats, but I would assume they should be within a few degrees of the stamped value.

If you are seeing temperature variations at low engine speeds, check your water intake system very carefully.  Even a tiny leak can allow it to suck in a surprising volume of air instead of water.  It might be worth your time to remove every inlet hose from the hull fitting to the raw water pump, clean them, inspect them, and reinstall them.  Pro Tip:  Do *not* do this with the boat in the water!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, justgary said:

I have had my boat in 99*F water

That is about the temp of my hot tub!  Where did you find water that warm?

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

That is about the temp of my hot tub!  Where did you find water that warm?

Around here in August a few years ago.  My buddy's ski lake is only about four feet deep, and it was hot and sunny for a few weeks.  I remember posting it that day to the folks here that use the air + water = 100 or they don't go out.  We had air + water just above 200 that day.

It really is OK with me though; having grown up here, I think warm water is great.  I'm a cold water wimp because of it.  I don't go in if I can't bring Mr. Bubble with me!

s-l640.jpg

I am having a similar issue.  Engine temperature runs 165-170 while running at speed or pulling.  But when i idle back to pick someone up the temperature climbs and the engine Coolant temp warning comes on and stays on even when I get the RPMs up and the engine temp drops back down.  I just replaced the impeller and had no change.  Its a 2015 247 with the 460 in it.  Has roughly 400 hours.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Consider replacing your thermostat.  Had similar issues and this helped regain those cooler temps.

Edited by jammer
On 6/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, Learn2surf said:

After rereading your post, I think the plate on your raw water pump is sucking air.  Remove it, inspect the gasket and replace if damaged, then reinstall the plate.  Don't torque the screws too much or they will twist off since they are brass.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:28 AM, justgary said:

After rereading your post, I think the plate on your raw water pump is sucking air.  Remove it, inspect the gasket and replace if damaged, then reinstall the plate.  Don't torque the screws too much or they will twist off since they are brass.

Something seems off to me too.  I’ll try to do that.  It is going back to the dealer July 11 anyway...so they can check it if that isn’t the issue.

I know we are all talking different motors here but after roasting an impeller I have been watching temps very closely and run about 167 when surfing most of the time on my M6.  

38 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I know we are all talking different motors here but after roasting an impeller I have been watching temps very closely and run about 167 when surfing most of the time on my M6.  

Was this the newer style impeller for the M6?  I heard the new style is better but that there are still some issues with it priming at startup.  I haven't had an issue myself but I now keep a spare in the boat just in case.  One of the techs at my dealer mentioned that he revs his boat (had an m5 or m6, can't remember) in neutral at cold start up to ensure the pump primes.   The theory I have heard is the pump isn't priming at startup/idle so while you sit there near the dock the impeller gets roasted. 

I am starting to rev now after I watched how slow it was to prime.  The impeller I presume was new as it was dealer serviced so was not the boats original but it looked like this after 40 hours.  And no - it was not ran without water which is what it looks like.  I agree with your theory. I think mine got roasted constantly idling out of our slip at startup.  

E42DDD76-5C1C-489A-95E0-C4FF665D7C00.jpeg

692D790C-CA7D-41AC-8BAB-FAA4493092F2.jpeg

Okay, I thought on this a little more.    I do think perhaps some degradation was happening due to slow priming which lead to slow failure.   The ultimate failure occurred when my wife was bringing the boat around from a ramp to a friend's slip, less than half a mile and probably barely above idle the whole time.  She called and said an exhaust manifold temp warning came on.    She was almost to the slip, so I told her to watch the temp on the screen and shut down if it hit 190, which it didn't before she got it in.   Thinking back on it, I think the impeller probably failed like some of the pics you can find on TMC, Facebook, etc. with a few failed vanes, etc.     I think once that happened, water flow started to stop, exhaust temps went up first, which cause the screen alarm she saw.    She then got it into the slip, basically at that point spinning the impeller dry before engine temps got too high, which may have resulted in the ultimate roasted treatment you see in my photo.   

And they ask you, "why would you ever need to rev the engine in neutral?"  Bill* asked, "why would you ever need more than 640K of RAM?"  And, "why would you ever need more than an 8.3 file name?"

Maybe I just want to rev the engine in neutral to make sure the darned pump primes!

* Oh, never mind.  You know which Bill.

• Like 3

There is a tiny push button just forward of the throttle, on the same panel.   Push it to lock out gears and then rev.   I hold it in when I do, although it may be electronic and just needs pushed once?   

On 7/4/2020 at 3:06 PM, Learn2surf said:

Something seems off to me too.  I’ll try to do that.  It is going back to the dealer July 11 anyway...so they can check it if that isn’t the issue.

Good on you for watching the gauges like a hawk. I do too.

Steve B.