Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull Drain Plugs - T Handle - Tips for easy removal?

Ok, I guess this is going to sound like I am weak AF...maybe true, but often when I go to tighten the T plugs I always say, "Just get it nice and snug, but don't over tighten".  However, at the end of the day on the lake, I often times have a difficult time removing them, because they are so tight.  Again, maybe I just have weak grip strength, but I sometimes have to get a mallet and give it a little "tap" on the handle to release.

Other than putting a little WD-40 or lithium spray on prior, anyone have a suggestion on more easily removing (short of putting vise grip on it to get some leverage)?

Thanks!

Edited by mofaster
5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Teflon tape.  Also, your T-handle should have flats just above the threads.  A nice  open end wrench is the trick (1/2"?)

s-l500.gif

You sir, are correct....thanks!

6 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Hit it with your purse.  :)

Damn man, you had to go there.....I guess I tee'd it up for you guys.  :frantic:

I have a T handle plug in the center of the hull and one by the V drive. Since the center plug is the low spot in the boat, it’s the only one I remove. 

My issue is that between the ballast and bilge pumps in there, I have a hard time getting my hand in. No way I could get a mallet, wrench or purse in there. 

If you’re having trouble getting it out, don’t tighten it as much.  Other than access, it shouldn’t be that hard. 

I use a main water valve shut off tool from the hardware store to take out difficult belly plugs.  It is about 24 inches long with a U shaped socket on one end and a long T handle at the other end.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, RyanB said:

No way I could get a mallet, wrench or purse in there. 

Come on, the tiny purse will fit.  Perhaps it's the fear of breaking a nail?

faee47b0-0f5f-11ea-82cd-148dc44829b8_ima

• Haha 3