Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dialing in our 2019 axis t-22

Hey guys,

New to the forum and new to our new 2019 axis t-22.  We live in the Lake Tahoe area and have been boating on the lake for many years.  This is our first surf boat.  Currently my biggest concern is we didn't get the 450 engine.  We have the 409.  The out of town dealer we bought from told us this boat would be great in Tahoe, so we went for it.   One of our local dealerships said we made a BIG MISTAKE not getting the 450. Im sure the fuel consumption wont be great at all.  we have about 16 hrs on the boat.  The first 10 hrs were spent cruising around with no extra weight and varying the RPM's.  breakin service at 25hr. 

Some stats for surfing

The wave is great on goofy side.  And good on regular side.  Cant attach any pics

3 adults 4 kids

750 bow bag

2 575's in the back

wedge on 3-4

409 engine

2315 prop

surf speed around 11mph.  @3800-4000rpm

lake elevation 6240 ft

WOT test for prop felt like we were a little under propped.  maybe 30mph at 5400 with some throttle left.  Didnt want to totally pin it yet.  the 2315 is a 15" 13pitch prop.  Due to how slow the boat is already I couldnt go more aggressive. 

Cruising with no water ballast 23mph @4000rpm.  Boat has good power to get on step,  no top end due to prop and maybe engine size

Is surfing @4000 RPM gonna be bad for engine? Would the 450 make that much of a difference? Engine sounds like its def working while surfing.

Edited by TahoeT22

The 2315 is actually a 12” pitch prop, so that is pretty low pitched for you, IMO. The difference between the 450 and 409 is only 11hp and 10 ft lbs of torque but I THINK the switch to the 450 gets you the 2:1 transmission, as opposed to the 1.72 that the 2019 409 comes with. @shawndoggy can confirm or refute my transmission info as I’m not totally sure about the 2:1/450 package.

Given you have the 409 (which should be ok here with the right prop), I would honestly try stepping up in prop pitch to a “taller” prop. I’d try an Acme 2773 or MAYBE a 2249. The 2773 is a 15x13 prop with the same cup as the 2315. It will lower your RPM’s at surf speed and increase top speed just a bit. The 2249 (14.25” pitch) is quite a jump from 12” at your altitude, so the 2773 might be better. Both props would relax the 409 a bit (especially the 2249) and offer an improvement in fuel economy. And I’d guess you’ll still have plenty of low end power for loading up the boat (especially with the 2773). I’m sure someone else on here can give their thoughts on the 2773 vs 2249 for this application but re-propping is honestly where I’d start. And it’s always good to have a spare (what your 2315 will likely become after you try the 13” or 14.25”). 

Good luck.

Edited by formerathlete

Thanks for the input.   maybe getting the 13 pitch prop would help top speed and bring the rpms down surfing.  Just hoping the engine has enough power to make speed sacks full and surfing.   Id love a 2-3 mph faster when cruising. 

I think the 2773 will allow you to accomplish everything you are hoping to accomplish. You'll be a bit faster when cruising. You should also be able to achieve surf speed with the boat loaded (with factory hard tanks and pnp sacks full and normal crew) and do so while also dropping RPM’s. Just keep your bow down (as much as you can) and it will also help keep RPM's down. When you are pointed to the moon, RPM's will be headed there, too and it will be tougher to get to your speed.

Edited by formerathlete

As for what you heard from your local dealer about what a mistake it was to not get the 450, I wouldn’t worry about it.

When I was in the market for our boat, most of the marketing I saw from dealers across the country mis-advertised the specs on both the 409 and 450–and they still do. You’d see and hear everywhere that the 409  “has 409 HP or 409 lb ft of torque” or that the 450 “has 450 HP or 450 lb ft of torque.” The truth is that the 409 has 363 HP and 341 lb ft of torque and the 450 has 374 HP and 351 lb ft of torque. So, it’s not a huge difference. BUT, I know the 450 used to pair with the 2:1 transmission and that would help widen the gap between the two, especially at altitude. But I’m not sure that was an option in 2019; others on here would know. But like I mentioned, I think you can make the 409/1.72:1 transmission work fine at your altitude.