Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle position sensor problems

I have a 2001 Malibu Response. It has sat for 2 years and I have changed sparkplugs, distributor cap, TPS sensor and changed oil, gas and all the filters. I did have to add a line from the ignition switch to get the pump to run. It starts fine but wants to idle high at around 1500 rpm. If I unhook the TPS sensor it idles fine. My Other problem is is does not want to take full throttle and loses power if I try to run it higher than 3300 rpm.I made sure the perfect pass was off and had slack. Any ideas?   

Edited by Flyandboat
misspelled words
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some of your problem 2002 wakesetter

Can't get it over 3000 rpms. 

Feels like the brake is in (lol)

I put new plugs, wire, distributor cap, rotor button, coil, temp sensor, 160 Thermostat, fuel filter, has the updated fuel pump, had new Injectors last year. Compression is good on all cylinders 

What next??

5 minutes ago, hollywoodhd said:

I have some of your problem 2002 wakesetter

Can't get it over 3000 rpms. 

Feels like the brake is in (lol)

I put new plugs, wire, distributor cap, rotor button, coil, temp sensor, 160 Thermostat, fuel filter, has the updated fuel pump, had new Injectors last year. Compression is good on all cylinders 

What next??

what are the fuel pressure readings 

at key on

at idle 

at WOT

50 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

what are the fuel pressure readings 

at key on

at idle 

at WOT

The fuel pump was loud when turned key on so I just changed fuel filter it was dirty.

Really no difference in sound after I changed filter 

Where can I get what I need to Check fuel pressure?

Edited by hollywoodhd

Just done another lake test. 

Boat idles good, Boat seems to run good but at 3000 to 3200 rpm it is like it hits the governor and that's it.  

At 3000 rpm I am 1/2 throttle when I open it up all the way 3200 to 3300 rpm's is it one time I pump the throttle and got it up to 3500 to 3700 rpm's but when I stopped pumping and left it at 3/4 throttle it went back to 3200 rpms

1 hour ago, tvano said:

coolant temperature sending unit.

if it provides a false cold then the ecm thinks the engine is cold and limits rpm.

I put a new one in already. Didn’t fix my problem

41 minutes ago, hollywoodhd said:

I put a new one in already. Didn’t fix my problem

Did you get the fuel pressure readings Boz mentioned? The fuel pump should not be loud. If it is, it’s trying to tell you something.

16 hours ago, hollywoodhd said:

Where can I get what I need to Check fuel pressure?

Go to an auto parts store and get a fuel pressure gauge with a thread-on schrader valve end.  It will have a smaller hose and a purge valve to allow you to safely purge the pressure before you disconnect it.

17 minutes ago, justgary said:

Go to an auto parts store and get a fuel pressure gauge with a thread-on schrader valve end.  It will have a smaller hose and a purge valve to allow you to safely purge the pressure before you disconnect it.

Or if you are not in a hurry order one off Amazon - this is the one I have.  An invaluable tool if you work on a lot of engines.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R5IASC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

O'reilly may lend them out for free

5 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Did you get the fuel pressure readings Boz mentioned? The fuel pump should not be loud. If it is, it’s trying to tell you something.

5 hours ago, justgary said:

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Or if you are not in a hurry order one off Amazon - this is the one I have.  An invaluable tool if you work on a lot of engines.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R5IASC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

O'reilly may lend them out for free

I got pressure checked and it is 42psi

I am going to put a permanent gauge on fuel line so I will always know

17 minutes ago, hollywoodhd said:

I got pressure checked and it is 42psi

I am going to put a permanent gauge on fuel line so I will always know

Don't bother with a permanent gauge.  You'll know it is OK because the engine will run correctly.

42 PSI at key on, idle, cruise, and wide open throttle?  You have to check all of them.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

Don't bother with a permanent gauge.  You'll know it is OK because the engine will run correctly.

42 PSI at key on, idle, cruise, and wide open throttle?  You have to check all of them.

Yes and its good

I wired up a code reader i found in another forum and got an error 22 and 21.  So I am going to put a TPS on it. I have done everything else so one more part is not going to hurt.

2 hours ago, hollywoodhd said:

Yes and its good

I wired up a code reader i found in another forum and got an error 22 and 21.  So I am going to put a TPS on it. I have done everything else so one more part is not going to hurt.

Interesting that you got both codes; 21 is high voltage and 22 is low voltage.  Luckily, they are pretty cheap.

Ok update after lake test with new TPS

Boat idle smooth boat runs smooth but still will not run over 3500 rpms constantly

This time after it warms up I started down the lake and boat run up to 3900 rpms and then it fell off and would go over 3500 rpms.  

sitting in neutral boat has no problems revving up pass 4000 rpms 

On my last run I started pumping the throttle from 1/2 throttle to 3/4 throttle and the boat gained up to 3800 rpms and I stopped pumping and it fell back off to 3300 rpms 

So I am at a lose of what to do now.

• 1 year later...

Hi hollywoodhd- I have been experiencing the same issue on my 1998 Four Winns Horizon 5.7. Did you end up resolving your issue? What was the fix?

• 4 weeks later...