Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which wake shaper for 2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX?

Smokedvw

Hi,

So I have decided on the ballast setup thanks to a few friendly members on here:

• 1100 in the 2 rear lockers (though it will only fill to 800/900)
  • 425 in the bow
  • 650 in the ski locker
  • 370 in the port seat

I'm now trying to figure out which shaper to get?    

Thanks guys!

I just picked up a “Tidal Wake XLR8” for my XTI 23.    Not a good surf boat by any means but.. I’m getting a great wave with the rear tanks full and 1150 in the rear and just my son driving.    Even better when more people in the boat.    I’m 200# and go ropeless on a 4’7” and able to get good carves and spins.  

I had a few shapers before but none gave the results as this one.    

I am using the Swell 1.0 on my 2002 23 LSV and it works well.  Easy to switch sides.  Sumo 850s in rear lockers and 600 in bow.  My only question is wedge up or down?  I really can't tell a difference at 11.2 MPH

21 hours ago, Smokedvw said:

I'm now trying to figure out which shaper to get?    

I have this one (but in black, which doesn't seem to be offered anymore):

https://www.shapethewake.com/collections/frontpage/products/wakemate

I had a Ronix 8 clone (the velcro one) before.  Performance was similar but this is easier to store and get on/off.

At $80, it makes zero since to build your own.  It works and if you don't like it, you can resell it and take maybe a $20 hit.  Not exactly a risk!

@Nitrousbird yeah I have just been debating copying your setup exactly since it looks like a great wave and identical boat ;)  I also figured the same thing for $80.  I have seen others that are $200-400 but not sure if they really make any difference.    

@JLT3 did you try any others or just the Swell 1.0?  

Looking at this behind the boat review it does look like the wake surfer makes difference.  https://www.lakesurf.com/blogs/news/comparing-wakeshapers-wakesurf-edge-pro-shaper-wins.   Anyone know if that would work on the 2001 VLX?

Faceplate: 9 x 16 inches = 144sq inch face

Needs 12.25” length on the boat when installed

Needs 9.25” height on the boat when installed

Suction Cup Diameter: 4-5/8"

I'm not exactly sure where this is supposed to ideally mount to measure off my boat.  Looking at shapethewake it looks like not as much height is needed 

This area must be at least 3(3/4)" x 12" for the Slim Style WakeMate to ensure that it will fit properly.

Edited by Smokedvw

@Smokedvw Steve from Lakesurf here. We are the creators of the Wakesurf Edge line of wakeshapers which we license to Liquid Force. Thought I'd jump in since we surf primarily behind a 2001 VLX. Either the "Pro2" model or the "Mega" will give you a killer wave on that boat. Which one depends mostly on how much ballast you're running. If you've got at least 2000 lbs ballast, the Mega will give you the biggest possible wave. Both models have the same base and suctions cups and will attach to your boat easily. We surf exclusively with the Mega.

I did not try anything other that the Swell 1.0 since it came with the boat.  They have newer models out now that are adjustable and also a slim version.  Not sure if they are better or not. Maybe others have experience and can chime in.