Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Experiences with bunk carpet alternatives

stein09

I bought a new but last year and shortly after buying it noticed that the carpet bunks needed to have new carpet. At the end of the year I replaced the carpet following the steps others had outlined in previous posts using stainless screws. This weekend I noticed that the carpet I had used is already starting to tear in a few spots and caused a few marks on the hull I was able to buff out fairly easily. Before I replace the carpet again I am considering using one of the many alternatives like ultimate bunk and gatorback but I have read about some cases where they left marks on some dark color hulls. I have charcoal gray hull and would rather replace carpet twice a year than see marks down my hull. It seems crazy that I already need to replace the carpet, but is it possible the marine carpet I picked up from menards was maybe too thin? I do not power load  but the ramp I use is steep and I do have to use the motor to assist while I winch. 

Whats everyone's experience with using ultimate bunk /HDPE boards as bunk replacement, gatorbak, or any other carpet alternatives. I did see that overtons is now offering their own version of bunk caps as well. Is it worth the high price to replace carpet? . This is my 5th wakeboat and I have not had trouble with any other trailers in the past but if anyone has tips or ideas of what I may be doing wrong some education would be appreciated. 

I used this type of product. Not this one I got mine from a trailer parts store. I use them on my lift so no power loading. I got them long enough to do my bunks with one per side. I cut the to the width and made new mounting holes on the side I cut off. Will last the rest of my life. I might be concerned they could be to slippery on a trailer!  So if you do I would not trailer without tie downs! But then I don't trailer with out tie downs.  My hull is white no marks at all.

I always wet bunks which i started doing last year after the carpet was torn. I am not worried about the bunks being slick. Because my local ramp is so steep I need unlatch the winch or bow safety chain before its in the water and I have transom ties in the back while towing. I would not be worried about spending the extra money except I've heard about a few isolated stories where a few dark hulls were being marked while loading.

3 hours ago, stein09 said:

Because my local ramp is so steep I need unlatch the winch or bow safety chain before its in the water

Why? I just float mine off on a steeper ramp. Once it is floating it is easy to unclip the winch strap.

that was a typo on my part. I do not unlatch until its in the water because its steep. This is why I shouldnt try to post while working

I ever really understood the OCD compulsion some people have in only wanting to replace the old barely lasted 3 seasons bunk carpet with new over priced generic one size fits all bunk carpet. When I replaced the carpets on my 2010, I finally found a use for near give away priced remnants of god awful Berber carpet. In a house I hate that stuff with a passion, on a trailer that stuff was money. I even got the local carpet place to cut the carpet to width and length for me for no cost. They were more than happy to make money off of some carpet they otherwise had no way of getting rid of. Yes it is a thicker carpet that has the potential to retain more water., but I never noticed that to be the case on the garage floor. I more or less sealed my treated lumber bunks in carpet glue so water retention wasn’t an issue for me. I did not notice the that the Berber retained any more river crud or scuffed up the hull any more than the cheapo BM installed carpet either. All of my hulls have been black too.

Edited by wdr

Buy some liquid roller spray. Your carpet won’t wear out for a long time. Really make sure your boat is latched down good front and back when you hit the road, cause this stuff makes your bunks super slick!!

I did a quick temporary patch job on my torn carpet last night. I did notice the carpet I bought from menards was a lot thinner  compared to the original carpet. I am still on the fence about spending several hundred on bunk covers /HDPE bunks vs replacing carpet. I've never owned a boat for more than 5 years so sustainability isnt that big of an issue either.  I think I may try to order a little higher quality carpet, unless someone has a cheaper alternative that is proven to not mark up the hull. My bunk boards seem to be in great shape so Ill probably try to tie the boat up to the dock one evening and try to switch out carpet at the ramp. Any advice on a particular brand/type of carpet and where to order?

25 minutes ago, stein09 said:

I did a quick temporary patch job on my torn carpet last night. I did notice the carpet I bought from menards was a lot thinner  compared to the original carpet. I am still on the fence about spending several hundred on bunk covers /HDPE bunks vs replacing carpet. I've never owned a boat for more than 5 years so sustainability isnt that big of an issue either.  I think I may try to order a little higher quality carpet, unless someone has a cheaper alternative that is proven to not mark up the hull. My bunk boards seem to be in great shape so Ill probably try to tie the boat up to the dock one evening and try to switch out carpet at the ramp. Any advice on a particular brand/type of carpet and where to order?

Save yourself the upside down, getting poked with staples, stinking, dripping wet grief of trying to rip the old carpet off of the existing bunks. I bought new treated lumber and glued and stapled everything together in the garage and then pulled the old and installed the new ones in the parking lot at the ramp. The wood is too cheap not to IMO.

• Like 2
On 6/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, surfdude said:

Buy some liquid roller spray. Your carpet won’t wear out for a long time. Really make sure your boat is latched down good front and back when you hit the road, cause this stuff makes your bunks super slick!!

Very slick indeed.  If you use liquid roller pay very close attention and don’t forget to have a safety chain and don’t forget to latch your transom straps :-(

My boat ended up half way off the trailer in middle of an intersection this weekend when the bow strap snapped....

I did the Gatorbak bunks last Spring and have a black hull. For the first 6 or so times I loaded.... some of the composite material from the bunks did look like it was "marking" my hull, first time I saw that I had a freak out moment, lol. But it easily came off my hull and left no scratches or blemishes at all....looked almost like an eraser mark on the hull but all the material came off easily. That also only happened as the material broke in (hasn't happened since). My ramp is steep so the hull digs a bit when it slides into the front bunks... but they also say on their website that this will happen at first. I am super happy with my decision to use the Gatorbak since the sand and other lake debris would embed itself into the bunk carpet and then leave scratches along the bottom of my hull every time I loaded/unloaded. It also dries very quickly and no more 3 days of wet carpet against my hull as it dried out in my garage

• Like 2

I also used a heavy duty turnbuckle on the bow, mainly to keep boat from coming thru my rear window it I have a frontal collision. 

Getting back on subject: I use a shop vac in reverse to blow sand and pollen out of my bunk carpets before loading boat if boat is off the trailer for a week or more.

Edited by electricjohn
  • 8 months later...

Anyone know what's in the Liquid Rollers? I have a can of silicon spray and just figured I'd spray that on the bunks. Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, John E. said:

Anyone know what's in the Liquid Rollers? I have a can of silicon spray and just figured I'd spray that on the bunks. Thoughts?

Make sure you time the removal of the safety strap just right.  Just sayin'.  )

37 minutes ago, John E. said:

I've heard from a few different people and different forums to not us products with silicone as it will risk blistering. In the past Ive used just a cheap paste wax and smeared it on, helped quite a bit.