Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Summer trailer worries

BlacknBu

Just now, Eagleboy99 said:

I am certain that there is sin/cosine, tan type stuff going on here.  A few lever arms etc.  That much I do know. Besides, if you jack one side entirely (would have to be a heckuva jack!), then woulnd't the weight on the other side double according to your calcs?  

No, because the jack is holding the weight - you're kidding right?

Just now, oldjeep said:

No, because the jack is holding the weight - you're kidding right?

You think the jack is holding all the weight when it tilts the CoG to the other side?  You're kidding, right?

Ah...  define "most". The higher the angle, the less weight that is on it.  Regardless, if what you say is true, wouldn't there be reports of  blown tires using one of these ramp contraptions?  

15 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Ah...  define "most". The higher the angle, the less weight that is on it.  Regardless, if what you say is true, wouldn't there be reports of  blown tires using one of these ramp contraptions?  

I'd be more worried about bubbling a tire than blowing it when sitting still.  But then again, I've got a jack ;)

Both are valid points, which I believe you cross anytime you are jacking something up. Ideally doing a trailer without the boat on it makes it a real simple process, just don't have that luxury atm. Yesterday I used my racing 2 ton floor jack, but it was also extremely tough due to the weight (using cut pieces of 2x6 to not damage the frame).  

ironically I cannot find anything for a Boatmate Trailer to identify the "correct" process for changing a flat tire. 

I was already concerned with making sure I am good for my longer tow, now ya'll got me overthinking taking a tire off for a few minutes. Might just be in the driveway drinking beer in the boat tonight, instead of working on the trailer :lol:

16 minutes ago, BlacknBu said:

Both are valid points, which I believe you cross anytime you are jacking something up. Ideally doing a trailer without the boat on it makes it a real simple process, just don't have that luxury atm. Yesterday I used my racing 2 ton floor jack, but it was also extremely tough due to the weight (using cut pieces of 2x6 to not damage the frame).  

ironically I cannot find anything for a Boatmate Trailer to identify the "correct" process for changing a flat tire. 

I was already concerned with making sure I am good for my longer tow, now ya'll got me overthinking taking a tire off for a few minutes. Might just be in the driveway drinking beer in the boat tonight, instead of working on the trailer :lol:

For whatever it is worth - I just stick the jack under the axle of the tire I am changing - below where the axle is attached to the frame.  I use my truck jack, which works fine - the truck outweighs the boat, so lifting one trailer tire off the ground isn't any more than lifting up a corner of the truck.

21 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I am certain that there is sin/cosine, tan type stuff going on here.  A few lever arms etc.  That much I do know. Besides, if you jack one side entirely (would have to be a heckuva jack!), then woulnd't the weight on the other side double according to your calcs?  

No it would be about the same. The jack is holding the weight the tires on one side used to carry.

Edited by carguy79ta

The higher you lift one side, the more weight that gets transferred to the other side.  Or Archimedes was wrong.  But  for the 6 or 8 inches we are talking here, about the same.

Put all tires at 50 psi and used a ramp to get the wheel off the ground. Was able to pb blaster and love tap the plumbing but off successfully within 15 minutes max.

All 4 tires holding 50 psi to spec, all bearings filled, brake fluid good. Now just for smooth sailing tomorrow.

Appreciate yall! 

• Like 2

Just for completeness, I routinely use just a stack of short 2x6 boards as a jack for my tandem trailer.  I offset the ends a few inches to make a ramp, and I stack about four boards to get the other wheel high enough.  No need to glue them or bolt them or anything, just stack them up with a little offset.  My wife always tries to take them out of the truck bed, but I tell her to put them back because that is the jack for the trailer.

The supporting tire doesn't blow or get stressed too much.  Tires have a huge safety margin, and the stress of a static lift situation is nothing compared to hitting a 2" deep pothole at 40 MPH.

I wound up changing all four tires over about a two month period about two years ago.  I had gotten a deal on "new" mounted trailer tires, and they worked fine for a few years until the steel belts started separating.  Lucky for me I never had two blow out on the same trip.  It wasn't until the last one blew that I bothered to look at the date stamp and figure out that they were 2009 tires.  Each time one blew, I grabbed one of the previous set from behind the shed to use as a spare.

The good part is that I got really fast at changing trailer tires; the last one took me about five minutes from blowout to driving away.

• 4 weeks later...

Using the ramp type jack does put all the weight of one side of the trailer on the one tire on the ramp.  That should not damage your tire though unless you left it on there for a long time.  Where the load rating has the biggest challenge is going to be when it get hot, sway at speed, pot holes, and spinning at high speeds.  I am not a tire engineer but I would not see any risk having the weight doubled on a tire when you jack it up.  If you use a jack instead of the ramp the jack will be holding the weight.