Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1994 Mercruiser 350 intake manifold help

the Edelbrock performer rpm marine intake manifold that fits this engine doesn't look like it works with exhaust heated choke? my stock carb has an exhaust heated choke. is there a marine manifold that will? it seems like a lot of people here have gone with this intake, did you engine not have exhaust heated choke?

8 hours ago, Macdub27 said:

the Edelbrock performer rpm marine intake manifold that fits this engine doesn't look like it works with exhaust heated choke? my stock carb has an exhaust heated choke. is there a marine manifold that will? it seems like a lot of people here have gone with this intake, did you engine not have exhaust heated choke?

I went with the Edelbrock performer and traded my carb in for the same model but electric choke.  But you can get them with the manifold actuated choke, like this one: 

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-intake-manifold-small-block-chevy-3701.html

13 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I went with the Edelbrock performer and traded my carb in for the same model but electric choke.  But you can get them with the manifold actuated choke, like this one: 

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-intake-manifold-small-block-chevy-3701.html

thank you, I had called a website and I asked if the non marine version could and they said it was electronic. I will use this boat in fresh water only, so I assume corrosion won't be an issue? Edelbrock mentioned something about electrolysis but is that just to get your to spend more for the "marine application"? here is what my current intake looks like, im worried that it might not create a perfect seal or rather want it to last a long time but I also feel its not all that bad. here links to the pics of each side. I would still like to use the carb I have, is there any concern around that this Edelbrock intake is not a high rise intake like the oem one?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/inr594u3z68oo5i/20200622_193655.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h0scziuadyu9xm/20200622_194046.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Macdub27

@Macdub27 - You will see corrosion in an aluminum manifold running in fresh water, an automobile uses coolant which has corrosion inhibitors.  Your water level impurities will dictate the level of corrosion you see.  Also, there may be some galvanic corrosion based on dissimilar metals.  A solution is to use a zinc anode, which is a sacrificial component to reduce corrosion of the rest of the components.  The OEM one has the same runner configuration as the Performer RPM so you can simply go that route.

I am using the model 2116 on mine, installed and ran since 2015.  This is not a marine unit.  Below is a new-in-box pic, and then a pic from this spring.  You can see some external corrosion on it, as well as on the aluminum valve covers.  It basically happened one month when I had a lot of water in the bilge and it was left unattended.  Compared to the stainless steel Y fitting right in front of the valve cover, which has zero corrosion.  But performance wise, it runs great, bolted right up to my original 1994 engine block and dyno tested the engine to 383hp, etc.  So yes, you can use the non-marine version and it will probably be fine, maybe a little corrosion like below after a few years.  Dusting the engine once a year with WD40 would probably help it hold up better if you want it to look new.

1850125955_Performerintake.thumb.jpg.e0f4c5bd3bd8cb522808d6f14e0e476a.jpg1539072121_2020Newcarbwithelecchoke.thumb.jpg.90af238656c4e4c31fb69f406a0a17d9.jpg

A can of decent zinc chromate primer and a topcoat in the color of your choice would stop it also.  You could even spray it aluminum color if you wanted to....

But absolutely yes on the light spray oil once or twice a year.  I don't care what engine you have.  Just spray it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Woodski said:

FYI - my comments are targeted at internal corrosion, just my opinion, that is the more important issue but a nice appearance when you lift the lid is always nice.

I'm not sure about the others, but I followed you.

You could prevent a lot of the internal corrosion also by taking the new manifold and having a chromate conversion coating applied, such as "Alodyne" or another brand.  The great part about that is that by doing so, you also just covered the zinc priming part of painting.  You could then just use regular primer and paint the outside as you wish, and the inside would then also be protected by the chromate conversion film.