Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 V-Ride 350 Monsoon died

Pulled out from anchor spot and was just getting on plane when engine suddenly went slow. Felt like prop got wrapped up in something or engine just lost power. Quickly put boat in neutral but engine was sputtering and knocking and making awful noises and died. Opened engine hatch and smelled burnt electrical and rotten egg sulfur smell. Nothing was hot beyond normal.  Would not start again. Replaced battery and engine started but immediately runs rough and will die before I can put into gear. Tried restarting and quickly revving in neutral, but engine dies. Looked around for some burnt or melted wires and pulled main relays but could not find any damage.

Checked oil level, trans level, and v-drive level – all good. Checked shaft coupling and spun prop on trailer – all good. Seems like engine related not drive since it runs bad and dies while in neutral.

Replaced drive damper plate in 2016.

1000 hours.

Any ideas for troubleshooting steps?

Edited by lonestar

Sulpher smell indicates some sort of catalytic convertor failure.  However that may be a result of something else, not the cause.   I guess I would start with the basics - compression check, fuel pressure check

Fuel pressure, compression, plugs, crankshaft position sensor check, laptop connected, coil and ICM, coil wire, all good. Cap and rotor new at beginning of season Accel brand with brass contacts and continuity checked - but still replaced cap and rotor and fired right up. 

Lots of bad distributor caps of this style. My friends been seeing this for years on his Suburban. That's how I knew to replace mine after my new to me boat died. Of course I checked for spark first and it was weak and erratic.