Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission grinding in gear

Hello all, 

I have a 2002 Wakesetter VLX with about 800 hours on engine and transmission. I do all the maintenance on the boat since 04 when we bought it used. Last weekend while getting ready to put it on trailer for the day, the trans made a grinding gear type noise which started in reverse and then the next time i tried,  it was in both directions. This only happened 3 times and i swam it over to the trailer instead of more possible damage.  It ran great all day with no issues. I did feel a small vibration on the way back in but thought it was some junk on the prop. The shaft and prop are both straight, I change the trans fluids every other year as we usually get less than 50 hours of use a year. The linkage is connected securely on side of unit and the throttle moves the shaft smoothly. Have never replaced the throttle cable, but i doubt that is the issue. Looks like a new trans is running $2500 from what i saw on Bakes. Do they rebuild these trans or is it better to replace the whole unit ? From some of the posts I saw, dealer will be north of 4k to fix at least. Have replaced motor on this boat 12 plus years ago, so doing the work is not an issue. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.  

Did you check fliud?  Iirc you check it hot without screwing it in? Check me on that.

Release the cable at the trans then (with help and safety in mind) manually FULLY shift into forward and then reverse to insure its Not a cable of adjustment issue.

The fluid was full when I checked it. I disconnected the cable from the trans. The trans seemed to shift in forward and reverse smoothly and clicked in neutral. I removed the throttle assembly from next to drivers seat. There are 2 cables connected to shifter, the one on the top is for trans, the one on bottom is for throttle. The trans cable on top is about midway on the threaded end so there is some adjustment left. Probably tightening the cable to make it shorter might take any of the play out of it. Maybe a new cable might be in order ? So if the cable is loose, it would grind going into gear ? Original throttle cable I think. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks. 

Thank you for the input, made me look in a different direction at the cable. Will add any information on this i find out for others on this site to use. 

On 6/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, Stoli said:

The fluid was full when I checked it. I disconnected the cable from the trans. The trans seemed to shift in forward and reverse smoothly and clicked in neutral. I removed the throttle assembly from next to drivers seat. There are 2 cables connected to shifter, the one on the top is for trans, the one on bottom is for throttle. The trans cable on top is about midway on the threaded end so there is some adjustment left. Probably tightening the cable to make it shorter might take any of the play out of it. Maybe a new cable might be in order ? So if the cable is loose, it would grind going into gear ? Original throttle cable I think. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks. 

Just posted this on another thread.  Check your cable connectors for integrity, and where they thread on is where you adjust the cable.  Don't twist your cotter pins until you have the adjustment you're happy with.

https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R024024

2zf1qpu.jpg