Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle/stalling issues

Good morning everyone! I would like to see if one of you may have some insight to share. I have a 05 23 lsv with the 383 hammerhead. The other day when I took the boat out I noticed the throttle had an extreme amount of play after pulling some wake surfers. Rpm wouldn’t increase until the throttle was a about in the 11 o clock position. I found the perfect pass rope was very loose and tightened it with the knob on the servo. Then Saturday took the boat out throttle issue seemed to be fixed but after sitting at the sandbar for a couple hours the motor would run then stall. This happened 5-6 times consecutively. When I got it to stay running by giving it a little gas in neutral it almost sounded like it was backfiring or misfiring. the response a carborated motor would make with the choke still on on a warm engine. What didn’t make sense was once I got it somewhat stable and put it in gear it ran like a champ. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance. 

I was thinking it could be vapor lock. Because once it gets over it’s “issue” it runs great idles fine straits right up. The other two I do believe should be a consistent issue 

I'll put it another way:

If you haven't changed rotor, cap, plugs, and wires recently, do that before you begin a big diagnostic adventure.  They wear out.

Check the end nuts at both ends of your throttle cable (assuming you have a cable).  Check the shift linkage while you are at it.  They wear out.

Clean the inside of the throttle body with carb spray.  Pay attention to the edge of the butterfly where it meets the throat.  You can open the throttle to get everything clean.  Include tiny ports and the side passages.  Gunk in the throat and on the idle air controller can dramatically affect performance.

Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail.  Key on/engine off, idle, midrange, and wide open throttle.

Thanks I appreciate it it’s prob due for rotor plug and plug wire replacement anyways. And the cleaning the intake Never hurts even if it’s not the Problem. Could the servo for the perfect pass tension cause similar issues as well?

5 hours ago, Jsailor said:

Thanks I appreciate it it’s prob due for rotor plug and plug wire replacement anyways. And the cleaning the intake Never hurts even if it’s not the Problem. Could the servo for the perfect pass tension cause similar issues as well?

Perfect Pass can only pull the throttle back toward idle.  The first thing it does when you power up is tighten itself all the way until the stepper motor slips.  If it doesn't do that, something is wrong.

Did the motor swallow a slug of water from the gas tank?  It is possible to take water through the vent line.

I just read the service manual the perfect pass is working as it should. I just asked the previous owner when the last time the fuel filter was replaced and he said it had been a while going to start there. Shouldn’t of had and water introduced.